Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problems with the automatic RENAMING-function since the BUILD 4002 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

In the (EARLY ACCESS-)Update:
Quote :
BUILD 4002 (2017-11-22)

There was this function implemented:
Quote :
-Whem renaming or moving files, virtual folders in root, and playlists in playlist folder are automatically updated as well

Since this update I literally can't move files in my VDJ-Browser.
Otherwise the software starts RENAMING something until the RAM fills up to the MAXIMUM and VDJ crashes.

I took a screenshot:

Symptoms:
- The RAM starts to fill up to 300.000 K, only 3 minutes after moving a file.
(That doesn't sound a lot but in normal condition right after starting the software it has about 190.000 K without loaded songs.)
- This keeps continuing until it reaches a value about 3.500.000 K and above.
- During this RENAMING-process the green taskbar is constantly filled.
- If it hits the MAXIMUM possible RAM-value for my machine VDJ crashes.
(Laptop is 64-bit and has 16GB RAM, VDJ only uses 4GB because it is 32-bit.)
- Then it restarts itself and everything is fine.

Remarkable:
- This ONLY starts when I'm moving a file.
- After the file was moved and the renaming-process is running I can let it run till it crashes, OR I can restart the software by my own and everything is fine: The file is moved, the informations to this file are correct and even when I'm loading the file into a deck the process does NOT start again.
- As soon as I move this or another file, it starts all over again.

What I've tried to fix this (across every single build):
- I have installed every single update after Build 4002. (Stays the same)
- I have deleted all "missing-file-entries". (Stays the same and some of them even keep appearing again and again)
- I have moved all the playlists and history files in case it tries to fix missing entries from 10.000 years before christ. (Stays the same)
- I have runned the Playlist-Fixer from the download-center. (Stays the same)
- I have cleaned the database via "Browser Options -> Database - Remove missing files from Search DB". (Stays the same)
- I have let the renaming run as long as it could (outside on my balkony in the winter to keep my laptop cool enough)
(Crashes and stays the same)
- I re-installed EVERYTHING. (Stays the same)

THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IS TO RUN BUILD 3994!

There are so many questions that the only thing I can sum up is:
HELP!

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 3:59 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
How many playlists do you have?

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 4:19 pm

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 5:05 pm
Adion wrote :
How many playlists do you have?

I have got 57 playlist with an average of about 30 songs each.

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 5:12 pm

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 5:16 pm
No fix as such, repaired all the playlists which were backed up in various locations and returned to b3994.

Very frustrating, I've got way too many playlists and need to cull a few. Just checked there is 88. Some are from over 10 years ago when I DJed in Ibiza, yep, still know exactly what I played. Did come in handy a couple of years ago when I recreated a 4/5 hour set to put on my Mixcloud.

I've had no problem with Virtual Folders only Playlists. This is the second time this has happened, the first time was in November when b4002 came out and I had to rebuild playlists. I returned to b3994 over the busy Christmas period then moved up to b4002 after New Year and then to b4034. Not sure if I updated to b4064 or not.

Posted Sun 14 Jan 18 @ 7:01 pm
Do you have (large) virtual folders with many sub-folders perhaps?

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 7:19 pm
Don't know if that question was aimed at Andy or me.

I'm using b3994 and have just gone to check on my playlists and virtual folders.

To my surprise lots of my virtual folders won't open up, the Mac fans start up and the feedback window is showing the word 'browsing'. I can then no longer open any folders or playlists as the program has locked and have to close it down.

I think I've got a copy of the virtual folders on the PC side.

*update*
Just found that the virtual folders are on my external hard drive, luckily when I used to switch back and forth between PC and Mac I kept the virtual folders separate. So, it was a simple matter of copying the PC ones to the equivalent Mac Folder. They don't change much as they are each decade with the key songs/videos of that decade.

But, I also have a list of favourite folders (not used much) and everyone is empty. Will probably just delete them.

Oh, and my virtual folders have less than 200 entries in them, most of my playlist are the same, although, I have found 3 or 4 with a little over 200 entries.

There are 4 virtual folders that have a harmonic sub folder that in turn have the tunes in their separate key folder. It was a utility someone created for the Camelot keys. Just deleted them as I don't use them.

The only other Virtual Folder with sub folders is the My Library plugin.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 7:47 pm
Adion wrote :
Do you have (large) virtual folders with many sub-folders perhaps?

Yes I do, but not so many of them.
Maybe 2 or 3 larger ones.

But for my understanding a powerful software like this should be capable of handling large virtual folders or even IT'S OWN large databases. Mine is about 50MB.

I can't change my whole folder-structure or even decrease it because of some changes in the software.
In addition, this feature should be adjustable, in special how much RAM it takes(!) or which folders it should focus on. But there is not even a pause or abort button for that function. And I even think it is wrong that it runs till the whole RAM is filled up, THIS is so wrooong in all kinds!
And I would be a little bit happier if it only would have a status value that shows me if it got stuck or which track it is "renaming...", but there is simply NOTHING -.-

So maybe decreasing or changing the folder-structur is a solution, but if it is, it is definitely the wrongest one!
Do you think it could be that or are there other chances?

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 9:21 pm
I'm not suggesting you change your folder structure, I'm just trying to pin-point where the bug occurs so it can be fixed.
It should indeed not be using this much memory or even taking so long, so there must be something wrong going on.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 9:34 pm
Adion wrote :
I'm not suggesting you change your folder structure, I'm just trying to pin-point where the bug occurs so it can be fixed.
It should indeed not be using this much memory or even taking so long, so there must be something wrong going on.

This sounds good so far...
But I think a big help in this troubleshooting could be if there was a status-indicator...
Something like there is on the bpm-analysing-process:
Which track, in which location, or how much in percent.
Than the user could tell if it stucks somewhere in a particular folder and/or maybe even could solve it by himself.

Or at least some parameters to "calibrate" this function or to just turn it off to safe memory while djing.

Do you have some information if this is the final version of this function or if it is still developing since it wasn't a public build?

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 10:38 pm
DJSoulman wrote :

To my surprise lots of my virtual folders won't open up, the Mac fans start up and the feedback window is showing the word 'browsing'. I can then no longer open any folders or playlists as the program has locked and have to close it down.

I had the same problem during my switches back and forth the builds...

I discovered that only one particular folder took very long to be opened or browsed completely.
First I didn't knew why, but then I saw that in this folder there were 722.984(!) entries of one and the same single missing file. (I "only" have got about 80.000 mp3s on my drive, wondered where 722.984 missing files came from.)

I deleted all of the missing entries and this problem was gone. In case this helps you.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 11:18 pm
No, I couldn't open the folders at all, so, it was not posssible to delete any entries.

I had a copy of the folders and their entries on my external hard drive. I have a boot camped Mac with VirtualDJ on both the Mac and the PC partitions. The Virtual Folders are on the external drive in the VirtualDJ folder. I kept the Mac folders separate from the PC folders. It was a simple matter of copying the folders and their entries from the PC folders to the Mac folders.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 11:38 pm
Just been back on the PC side of my MBP to check if I had changed the version back to b3994. I was careful NOT to have my external hard drive connected.

It was b4064 so I clicked on one of the virtual folders and it immediately froze and had the feedback window showing 'renaming.....'. I managed to close the program and removed it from the Program Files (x86)/VirtualDJ folder and put it on the desktop.

I had an older build b3638 or thereabouts. Dropped that into the above VirtualDJ folder and ran it, I made sure that earlyAccessUpdates was unchecked, but, checkUpdates was set to yes. I updated to public build b3994 then ran it, I clicked on all the Virtual Folders with no problems. This was without my external hard drive connected.

Hope this info is useful to Adion.

Is this OK reporting on Andy's thread as we seem to be dealing with the same or similar problem?

Cheers
Les

Posted Wed 17 Jan 18 @ 3:58 am
Any progress on this Adion?

I'm terrified to upgrade to a later build in case my playlists get screwed up again.

The problem is, I've just bought the Pioneer DDJ-1000. Hopefully, if Atomix manage to get it mapped, it will be in a new build. But, will that build have a fix for the above problem?

Keeping fingers crossed.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 18 @ 9:26 pm
Yes, the renaming functions have been fixed and these fixes will be available in the next update.

Posted Sat 17 Feb 18 @ 6:50 am
I just love you guys!!! <3

Posted Sat 17 Feb 18 @ 7:18 am
Ahhhh! Mint!

Looking forward to it, was worried you couldn't find the bug with only two of us seemingly having the same problem.

You've just made my day. :-)

Posted Sat 17 Feb 18 @ 11:58 am
I have version 8.2 b4204 and it has the renaming... issue - my backup has the b3994 that has no issues. How do I change the 4204 to 3994?

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 1:54 am
djpaulywood wrote :
I have version 8.2 b4204 and it has the renaming... issue - my backup has the b3994 that has no issues. How do I change the 4204 to 3994?

Actually it's not the same issue - it's a newer auto renaming feature

Anyway... to get older builds go here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Posted Tue 10 Apr 18 @ 3:25 am
83%