Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Very strange behavior. Controllers stop being recognized over several day period. Reinstall cycle repeats. Downgrade no issues. Mc6000 hc4500

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ 8 had been working flawlessly for me up until sometime in July. I've been working so much that I didn't have a chance to sit down and post about it till now. Initially after I upgraded to public build 3798 things were fine. Then a few nights later I had to unplug/replug or powerdown/power up my mc6000 controller to get the software to recognize it. This continued each time that I booted up the software. Sometimes taking multiple trys. Restarting the software or computer didn't change things. A
few nights after that no matter what I did the mc6000 wouldn't be recognized as a midi device, however it was always still seen as a sound card.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the same build which was the current public build at the time and everything was immediately back to normal. The cycle repeated again after a few days having to unplug/replug the controller. Then a few days later it stopped recognizing it altogether. I swapped cables, USB ports, etc, etc. I plugged in my hc4500 and same thing... It wouldn't be recognized.

It took about 5 days/3-4 nightly events to go from fully working to the controller fully not being recognized.

I uninstalled & reinstalled again. Ran both 6000 and 4500 each time this time. Simultaneously they worked for a few days, then both had trouble being seen for a few days having to both be unplugged/replugged to be noticed and finally... Stopped being both recognized as midi controllers again. Meanwhile the 6000 was still being seen as the soundcard. I looked in the settings and the profiles for both controllers were gone (as they weren't being seen). Again the cycle took about 5 days/3-4 events.

I finally downgraded to build 3780 (the prior public build) and everything has been working flawless since... With both controllers. I periodically checked the forum and FB groups and didn't see that anyone else had this problem. There's been a few new public builds since then but I've been reluctant to update since the changelogs didn't mention anything related to an issue like this and I just didn't have the time to experience this again.

Since I finally had a little downtime, I wanted to post about this in the forum and FB groups to hopefully get this fixed and to see if anyone else encountered a crazy issue like this.

Problematic Build: 3798
Previous Fully Working Build: 3780
Hardware: mc6000 (latest firmware, etc), hc4500 (latest firmware, etc) - originally encountered with just the 6000. Then duplicated with both 6000 & 4500.
Computer Specs:
i7-3635QM 2.40GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit Win 8.1

Posted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 4:18 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When you say it doesn't get recognized, do you mean for audio, or as controller.
Do you remember if the device shows uo in options controllers at that time?

Posted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 5:02 am
When this happens they are not recognized as a Midi Controller. There is 0 midi control. They do NOT show in options. However the 6000 which is my default soundcard continues to pass audio.

Quoted from original post:
"A few nights after that no matter what I did the mc6000 wouldn't be recognized as a midi device, however it was always still seen as a sound card."

"[mc6000 & hc4500] Stopped being both recognized as midi controllers again. Meanwhile the 6000 was still being seen as the soundcard. I looked in the settings and the profiles for both controllers were gone (as they weren't being seen)."

Posted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 9:43 pm
Is this a windows PC ?
Do you shut down / reboot your PC regularly ?
When this issue occurs can you bring up task manager and see what tasks are running ?
In the list of running tasks is there any left over from a previous virtualdj session ?
In the list of running tasks is there any task that looks suspicious ?
Do you use other MIDI capable software ? (Software that can take exclusive access of your MIDI ports for it's own needs)
When the issue occurs is this software (or an instance of it on the task manager) running ?
Does a reboot brings up everything back to normal ?
Have you checked that there were no Windows Updates pending to finish when the issue occurred ?

Posted Tue 05 Sep 17 @ 6:01 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Is this a windows PC ?
Do you shut down / reboot your PC regularly ?
When this issue occurs can you bring up task manager and see what tasks are running ?
In the list of running tasks is there any left over from a previous virtualdj session ?
In the list of running tasks is there any task that looks suspicious ?
Do you use other MIDI capable software ? (Software that can take exclusive access of your MIDI ports for it's own needs)
When the issue occurs is this software (or an instance of it on the task manager) running ?
Does a reboot brings up everything back to normal ?
Have you checked that there were no Windows Updates pending to finish when the issue occurred ?

*Windows - it states that in my specs in my original post.
*Yes. I shut it down. It's a gigging computer. I work 4-5 nights a week. It powers up before the show and gets shutdown when I'm finished. Rebooting VDJ8 or Windows dies not change the outcome.
*Nothing odd was going on with Task Manager.
*No other Midi software. This computer only runs VDJ8 and nothing else. Dedicated DJ computer.
*No Windows Updates. They are turned off.

When this happens the software in every other way works normally (as if no midi controllers are connected. I can play from touchscreen, mouse or keyboard. It just can't see either controller as midi. Works as soundcard. Does not do this in previous build as stated. Follows similar time table from fully working to full midi control failure every time with problematic build.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 17 @ 3:41 am
While I can think one or two reasons of the strange behavior you encounter, none of them is relative to VirtualDj itself.
Since it appears that you're the only one with such a strange issue please update VirtualDj to the latest public build (you can keep a copy of the last working build if you wish) and let us troubleshoot from there...
Build 3798 was released 2 months ago and several other patches have been applied on the software since...

Posted Wed 06 Sep 17 @ 6:01 am
OK. Thank you. ll wait a few days as I'm gigging tonight, tomorrow and Friday and want no surprises. I can mess with it this weekend if the hurricane doesn't pummel us. If something weird happens Monday it's no biggie as that's Trivia, so I don't need a functioning controller during trivia... Just automix. I also now have the touch screen theme downloaded in case I lose my controller functions later in the week. Since my laptop is touch enabled.
I'll keep you posted when I do.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 17 @ 11:17 pm
Update: took a few weeks for me to upgrade as after I posted this we had to deal with the before during and aftermath of Hurricane Irma. This Monday I took the leap at upgrading to the current public build. As of Friday night, which I would usually see the issue, everything still seemed normal. If things start to degrade again I'll post and note the new time frame but hopefully whatever it was was corrected during the subsequent updates. Thank you for the assistance.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 17 @ 3:46 am
Hi. Same to me. Ir happens twice one on Friday. And the other in Saturday.

The audio still plays. But the controller AA DP2. I disconnected from the ac current. And there it goes the next 4 hrs.

Same happens on Saturday.

I have the 3870 Build on a PC

Thank you.

GK

Posted Tue 26 Sep 17 @ 11:55 pm
GKAudiO DJ wrote :
Hi. Same to me. Ir happens twice one on Friday. And the other in Saturday.

The audio still plays. But the controller AA DP2. I disconnected and connect from the ac current. And there it goes the next 4 hrs.

Same happens on Saturday.

I have the 3870 Build on a PC

Thank you.

GK

Posted Wed 27 Sep 17 @ 1:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)