Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: GUI freezing up for a few seconds during events

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

im experiencing this issue where the GUI of virtual DJ freezes for a few seconds sometimes in the middle of a gig
the music plays on, and the GUI returns to normal after a few seconds, but its not having a good effect on my heart as you may be able to imagine.

i have no idea what the cause my be im using the latest version of VDJ with the Numark mixtrack platinum, i have a brand new laptop Proteus IV 4.4GHZ, 32GB, with Nvidia 1080 dedicated graphics card 8GB running windows 10. there is also very good cooling on the machine it never heats up. and i have almost no other software on this machine other than adobe creative cloud.

im a VJ, and do my events connected by HDMI to a television (1920 x1080). now, i used to experience similar symptoms (not sure if its the same cause) with my older computer and i set the output to 1080 x 720 to ease the strain which seemed to do it actually. but i thought this new one would be able to handle full HD, since, its a beast when it comes to video editing, far superior to my older computer.

i suspect that one possibility is that it may be to do with certain video files, this may be a coincidence, but iv only noticed it happening on files i created myself, a long time ago. they are mp4 files and pretty low res (around the same as your average music video for DJs) but perhaps there is some coruption in the file which causes this. however ! i have been djing with these files for more than 5 years and never had the problem before. though most of that 5 years i was using a VGA connected to a projector for the video (1080 x 720) which leads us back to the question of resolution.

as another side note, my current laptop has an internal SSD 512GB, and a 2TB hybrid drive. the music is on the hybrid drive.
i notice that the songs load up slower than they did on my old laptop when the music was on the C drive. the deck stays blank for a couple of seconds before the song loads up. not a major issue, but strange since this is supposed to be a better computer. i dont know if there is a connection between this and the other issue.

any ideas?

Posted Fri 28 Jul 17 @ 11:35 am
I have had a similar thing on vdj / mcx8000 combo which improved quite a bit for me by enabling windows gaming mode for VDJ.

This might sound mental but if you think about it what you want your system to do for VDJ is a bit like what it would do for a game. eg. Higher priorities, reduce or minimise background processes like windows indexing or updates, etc.

With VDJ running and in focus/foreground you only gotta press the windows key and letter G together (assuming your on latest windows version), and click on the settings gear cog symbol thing that appears to see a tick box to enable it for VDJ, and it will remember your choice in future unless you unclick it.

It won't work miracles or magically speed up your computer, or fix underlying problems, but it can help prioritise the tasks you need and if its a background process issue with windows it could help, and it's very quick and easy to try.

You could also look at driver updates - especially graphics card drivers.

Posted Sun 30 Jul 17 @ 10:14 pm
You are saying GUI and then comparing video. The GUI is the VDJ user interface with the decks and buttons... The video is the video and technically not part of the GUI. I assume you are saying the video is freezing somethings a few seconds?

First it would be good if you can try and create the problem easily. That is, try to track the steps it takes, or what video, or some constant time, etc. that can cause the problem easily. Being able to reproduce the problem at will goes a long way to getting it solved. That goes for most any bug or other computer nuisance. Then it should be easy to isolate the real problem.

Your machine should be having no problem.

Just some thoughts.

It could be your hybrid drive may be going to sleep.. You say your load time is slower... also maybe on occasion going to sleep mid video and needs to wake up to get more data... you should be able to set it to never sleep

You could check your frame rate... I would think that hdmi could handle 60 FPS at 1920x1080. I am not familiar with using HDMI to TV but understand most TVs use HDMI 1.4 which may be subject to some frame rate problem... But I have no real idea on that... If VDJ video FPS is 60 then set to 30 for a test with that.

Posted Sun 30 Jul 17 @ 11:42 pm
Don Moir wrote :
You are saying GUI and then comparing video. The GUI is the VDJ user interface with the decks and buttons... The video is the video and technically not part of the GUI. I assume you are saying the video is freezing somethings a few seconds?

First it would be good if you can try and create the problem easily. That is, try to track the steps it takes, or what video, or some constant time, etc. that can cause the problem easily. Being able to reproduce the problem at will goes a long way to getting it solved. That goes for most any bug or other computer nuisance. Then it should be easy to isolate the real problem.

Your machine should be having no problem.

Just some thoughts.

It could be your hybrid drive may be going to sleep.. You say your load time is slower... also maybe on occasion going to sleep mid video and needs to wake up to get more data... you should be able to set it to never sleep

You could check your frame rate... I would think that hdmi could handle 60 FPS at 1920x1080. I am not familiar with using HDMI to TV but understand most TVs use HDMI 1.4 which may be subject to some frame rate problem... But I have no real idea on that... If VDJ video FPS is 60 then set to 30 for a test with that.

no, i dont think the video output is freezing, its the image on my own laptop screen thats freezing, ill look into the other things you mentioned.
VDJ is currently set to 30fps

Posted Mon 31 Jul 17 @ 10:22 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
My laptop is not quite like yours..I use Intel HD4000 onboard graphics. Milkdrop when it first starts freezes the screen for around 5 seconds. You know what I mean.. even the waves stop moving. Thereafter any further milkdrop usage is perfect. I've no idea why this happens, and like you my heart skips a beat. However I have easily managed this for a long time.

I'm content using vga and a vga splitter..hdmi is less forgiving and offers few advantages.

Recently a Win 10 video driver update stopped my graphics working correctly but simply removing this driver and using the Win 10 default returned things to there normal perfect working order. The problem was with 3 resolutions, so I could center my karaoke monitor or large screen TV image but not both. One was always around 4" off center. Anyway everything is now OK.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 10:53 am
bigron1 wrote :
My laptop is not quite like yours..I use Intel HD4000 onboard graphics. Milkdrop when it first starts freezes the screen for around 5 seconds. You know what I mean.. even the waves stop moving. Thereafter any further milkdrop usage is perfect. I've no idea why this happens, and like you my heart skips a beat. However I have easily managed this for a long time.

My Nvidia 745m does the same thing, never a comfortable feeling watching screen freeze but yeah I just start before my gig once and then no problems after that.

It's almost like something confuses VDJ when it starts up, I don't know.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 4:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)