Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PoE Camera

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys. I'm looking at doing video broadcasting for a radio show I'm working on. Found that there was a slight lag in audio using my laptop's webcam (although this may be down to bad lighting) and was looking at cameras today.

Found some PoE (powered over Ethernet) cameras and have done a very tiny bit of research into them.

Does anyone use anything like this? Any thoughts/comments/suggestions that might be useful for me?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help!!!

Keep spinnin'...;)

Chris

Posted Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 6:18 pm
Maybe try lower the cameras resolution down?

Posted Wed 26 Jul 17 @ 12:22 am
Are you using a USB hub with both your audio and camera connected to it? If you are try using separate USB ports direct on computer and try more than one variation.

What resolution?

I don't have a POE camera but have a powered IP camera I can use wireless or wired but security camera with low res.

I also use my cell phone for wireless and it is pretty good.

Posted Wed 26 Jul 17 @ 2:59 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks guys.

I'll try lowering the resolution of the camera to see if it improves. I've yet to try a better light source as well to be fair but it's something to think about.

No...it's not a USB hub. It's my laptop's own integrated webcam.

For the radio setup, I use my mixtrack pro 3 out to a mixer along with a mic and then take a line out of my mixer back into my laptop for broadcasting out to the station, which also allows me to record the show using audacity as well.

As for the video broadcasting, I use (or at least I'm trying to use) OBS to broadcast to Facebook live. Using your phone for facebook live isn't any good unless you can take a line out of your mixer and into your phone and broadcast the whole lot out. I know there are cables that can change a headphone socket onto your phone to a line in instead which I might look at.

I've managed to get it to record fine...music and vocal is recording perfectly...apart from the lag. Again, it was recorded in a low light setting so I'm convinced a better light source will help, but I looked at cameras just out of interest. Found the PoE cameras and thought it was a great idea, but having never used them I'm not sure. I think a security camera is a good idea as well...but what's the best way to mount this?

Looking at different things so any ideas, keep them coming.

Cheers

Posted Sat 29 Jul 17 @ 12:53 pm
Seems like you have a lot going on and when you run the camera it is like topping your system off to some degree. Seems strange to me that would cause audio to lag so it must be some kind of drain going on in general.

If this was the case then an IP camera should cause the same problem. I would cross check by seeing if you can cause the same thing to happen other ways. You might also check if your internal camera has some kind of problem by pluging in some other USB camera or software DirectShow device.

Posted Sat 29 Jul 17 @ 2:03 pm
Are you on a Mac or PC?

I to use OBS and broadcast on chewtv. At first my the feed from my cameras was not matching up but after I lowered the resolution it fixed it.

I use a Mac mostly but my PC will struggle when trying to run everything like you are doing. It does have an i7 in it but it's a lower spec i7.

For me video just runs smoother on my Mac.

Posted Sat 29 Jul 17 @ 3:52 pm

Posted Sat 29 Jul 17 @ 7:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)