Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Trouble Learning to Mix Psytrance

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello. I started learning to DJ about 3 weeks ago, and my Uncle has been teaching me. I understand how to beat match and everything, just not how to actually make a smooth transition. He has Denon DN S1000 CDJs, which are old, but work. He has told me that the first 2 and last 2 minutes are important, but sometimes it can change, and also, when he finishes mixing into the next track, he does some math to figure out at what time he should start mixing into the next track. Could someone guide me a bit more on how this all works. I am saving up for a controller and the only way for me to learn now is to Use my laptops keyboard in Virtual DJ and go to my uncles 1 every other week. Is there some good YouTube videos or online guides that could help me understand how this works more? Much Appreciated! :)

Posted Sat 15 Jul 17 @ 12:08 am
There are a couple of good starting articles pinned at the top of this (Mix lessons) forum. The posts with the stars.

Also there are plenty of written and video guides on the internet. Use Google!

Just bear in mind that, other than keeping tracks in time and in key, there are no hard and fast rules about mixing. Some may say that you have to do this or that (i.e. cutting the bass during a mix), but you don't. Use your ears, listen to the music - the music will guide you.

Posted Sat 15 Jul 17 @ 7:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)