Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: A question about CDJs and VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

nav143Home userMember since 2015
Ok so i have a question, if i hook up a pair of CDJ Nexus 2000s up to my laptop with VDj 8 will i be able to mix? will sound play out of both CDJ channels? or do i need to hook up the mixer too? btw the mixer is DJM900

Posted Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 4:57 pm
There are two options for using the CDJs to control Virtual DJ.

You could either use them as USB/MIDI controllers, so they would control the software, or you could play timecode CDs in them and control Virtual DJ that way.

IMO though, either way is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Why have very expensive hardware designed to be used standalone, then just use it to control software?

Posted Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 5:20 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There is a versatility that can be gained but I've often wondered why cdj's are still popular.
[that said, if I can gumtree a pair [as always,at a very reasonable price] I'd add a pair to my rig]

Posted Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 6:27 pm
nav143 wrote :
Ok so i have a question, if i hook up a pair of CDJ Nexus 2000s up to my laptop with VDj 8 will i be able to mix? will sound play out of both CDJ channels? or do i need to hook up the mixer too? btw the mixer is DJM900

With the CDJ's you'll be able to control the VirtualDj software decks.
However you won't be able to control the software mixer.
Therefore an external mixer is required.
At your case you can use the CDJ's for both, to control the software decks and as soundcards (so that VirtualDj ouputs the sound of each software deck on a CDJ) and use your DJM to mix the sound.

PS: @ The rest:
At least try to help the user before you rant why he's using CDJ's to control VirtualDj.
Each one to each own! :)

Posted Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 9:06 pm
Will it connect automatically? will i need to download any drivers or anything? btw cheers for the help so far lads! means a bunch :P

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 9:40 am
On PC you'll need to download and install the ASIO drivers for the CDJ's and the DJM (if you plan to connect it on your PC in order to use it as a sound interface)

On MAC you won't need drivers for the CDJ's, but you will need drivers for the DJM (again only if you plan to connect it in order to use it as a sound interface)

Finally keep in mind that without a license this setup will work only for 10 minutes each time you start VirtualDj.

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 11:08 am
i really dont want to sound like a noob but could you define "Sound Interface" like you're explaining it to a 3 yr old? i've been djing for 3 years right now but have only used midi controllers or CDJs without a laptop so all this stuff is new to me and im really really confused ahaha. if i didnt connect the DJM900 would i still need to download drivers for the CDJNXS2000s? or could i just connect the cdjs and they'd connect automatically and i just set them as the sound card, midi map them to match the right decks and hit play and it all works? i understand im probably asking some dumb questions but i've searched the internet for videos and tutorials and i cant find anything for VDJ

also im using a PC :))

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 12:33 pm
Also its my mates laptop, he has VDJ 8.0 Pro. Will it support the NXS2000s? or is an update compulsory

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 12:38 pm
Sound Interface = Sound Card
On PC you'll still need the ASIO drivers fro the CDJ's (you can get them from PioneerDj website)
Once you install the ASIO drivers the CDJ's will connect automatically on the software.

VirtualDj 8.0 supports CDJ-2000 and CDJ-2000NXS but not CDJ-2000NXS2. You will need VirtualDj 8.2 if you have NXS2

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 1:03 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Sound Interface = Sound Card
On PC you'll still need the ASIO drivers fro the CDJ's (you can get them from PioneerDj website)
Once you install the ASIO drivers the CDJ's will connect automatically on the software.

VirtualDj 8.0 supports CDJ-2000 and CDJ-2000NXS but not CDJ-2000NXS2. You will need VirtualDj 8.2 if you have NXS2

Thanks so much bro! cheers for all the help <3

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 2:10 pm
Oh! and just 1 last thing. will i need to map the CDJs to the correct decks on VDJ? or will it just do it by itself. if so, how do i do this?

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 2:12 pm
nav143 wrote :
Oh! and just 1 last thing. will i need to map the CDJs to the correct decks on VDJ? or will it just do it by itself. if so, how do i do this?

It's should be natively mapped and simply just work

And BTW: If you are running with a legit Pro license, the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2 is free
You can just grab the latest version in the download section to do the upgrade

Posted Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 3:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)