Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Synchronize + Color Tag issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,
I'm a Karaoke Host who uses Virtual DJ to manage my files. I have a Google Drive location where my files synchronize to, in case I should ever lose my files. I also have a copy of the folder on my main computer in addition to my notebook, and make a lot of changes to my song selection there.

I recently started using the Color tag to differentiate my music - Yellow for Music, Green for Karaoke, Blue for Music Videos, etc. However, if I change the color of a file (Tag Editor -> Color) on my main computer, but do NOT change the filename, the file WILL synchronize (copy from my main computer to the cloud, then to the notebook) and then I Recurse, the Color tag doesn't copy over.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 12:30 am
Could it be because it's not written to the files?

Most info that VDJ sets or collects aren't stored in the mp3 files, but rather in the virtualdj.xml database file
(This is different from most other DJ software, and one of the reasons I love VDJ - it doesn't automatically change my files)

I'm not sure how colors works exactly
But if you click "write tag" in the tag editor in stead of clicking ok, I believe the tags should get stored in the file
Another option could be to enable the "setTagsAuto" settings

These are just suggestions you can try, though - I haven't played a lot with the coloring in VDJ

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 5:50 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
In case it is stored in the database you have to sync your VirtualDJ folder (better sync the complete folder, not just the db inside the folder) which is located in the root directory of your music files.

I.E.:

If your music is on D:\Music\whatever... you should sync D:\VirtualDJ too.

VDJ will create a VirtualDJ folder on every drive it finds media files on (and is allowed to use them). So maybe you have to sync more than one VDJ folder. Depending on your file structure.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 7:06 am
klausmogensen wrote :

I'm not sure how colors works exactly
But if you click "write tag" in the tag editor in stead of clicking ok, I believe the tags should get stored in the file
Another option could be to enable the "setTagsAuto" settings

I have SetTagsAuto turned on, and I click the button the Rename the file even though I shouldn't need to.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 8:55 am
klausmogensen wrote :

Most info that VDJ sets or collects aren't stored in the mp3 files, but rather in the virtualdj.xml database file
(This is different from most other DJ software, and one of the reasons I love VDJ - it doesn't automatically change my files)

I don't sync the .xml file, just the songs. All of the editable tags do apparently save in the .mp3 files. If I save a file with a Color tag, it saves, moves over to my notebook computer, and when I recurse there, the color tag will show up.

When it doesn't show up is when the file isn't being renamed.

See, if the file is renamed, it copies over to the other notebook, and Virtual DJ views it as a brand-new file (therefore loads all of the tags). Color tag works fine in this situation.

It's when I edit Tags on a file, Save it, it syncs, and I Recurse on the other computer - those tags carry over, but not color.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 8:58 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Either you have to synchronize the database.xml file, or you have to select the copied files in the browser, right-click and select batch->reload tags to update the database with the new tag values.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 9:12 am
Adion wrote :
or you have to select the copied files in the browser, right-click and select batch->reload tags to update the database with the new tag values.

Ooh this is more effective than Recurse? That's good info and solves my problem if it works - I will test it out, thanks!

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 9:58 am
Recurse will just look for files, it will not reload tags of files already in the database.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 9:59 am
Adion wrote :
Recurse will just look for files, it will not reload tags of files already in the database.

That has worked, thanks for the help!

I notice that this only works on .mp3 files though - any chance to get support for .mp4 and .m4a files?

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 5:13 pm
Will have a look. Color is indeed not stored in mp4 tags at the moment, so it's only stored in the database.xml file

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 5:33 pm
Adion wrote :
Will have a look. Color is indeed not stored in mp4 tags at the moment, so it's only stored in the database.xml file

It appears it's saved to the .mp3 because when I save a .mp3 with a color on one computer, it syncs to the other through the shared folder, and is picked up by the .xml on recurse/reload tags.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 5:34 pm
I use colour to mark previously played songs and videos. Thankfully when the colour is changed it only updates the database and not the actual MP3 file as there is no need just being an internal database change.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 6:08 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I use colour to mark previously played songs and videos. Thankfully when the colour is changed it only updates the database and not the actual MP3 file as there is no need just being an internal database change.

It MUST save the color tag to the .mp3. I say this because I edit the tags on a .mp3 file on one computer, then it syncronizes to another computer (using Google Drive as an intermediary). When the file shows up on the new computer, I can Reload Tags and the color tag shows up.

Therefore the tag MUST save to the .mp3 - there's no other way for the other computer (with a separate .xml file) to be able to know that I changed the color tag on the .mp3.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 6:13 pm
yes the color is saved in MP3 files but not in mp4 like adion said.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 7:08 pm
wickedmix wrote :
yes the color is saved in MP3 files but not in mp4 like adion said.

Yeah - I was just replying to other people who were posting that it does NOT save to the .mp3. It DOES save to the .mp3.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 7:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)