Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Multiple controllers question (Hercules DJ Console Mk2 + Akai APC40 Mk2)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

oursoulHome userMember since 2009
Hi

I'm running VDJ8 through an old Hercules DJ Console MK2 and an Akai APC40 MkII. The hercules is being used for it's dual soundcard ability, and most of the faders have been re-mapped to the APC due to the higher quality faders.

For some reason the jogwheels on the Hercules don't work when the APC is also plugged in (they work fine when it's being used on its own). The APC doesn't have anything like a jogwheel on it - unless you count the endless encoder knobs, so it would be good to be able to use the Herc's wheels for cueing up. Any idea why they don't work with this configuration? Eventually i'd like to hook up the timecoded vinyls, but am assuming this isn't going to work if the built in jogwheels don't work...

Previous attempts to map knobs as jogwheels ended up with disappointing results - has anyone successfully mapped an endless encoder so it can be used to scrub through a track (i.e. without it going at a million miles an hour or jumping straight to the start/end of the track)?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Posted Fri 09 Jun 17 @ 3:58 pm
oursoulHome userMember since 2009
So i just had another go at this, and now the Hercules jogwheels ARE working in conjunction with the APC!

It seems the magic formula was opening VDJ, connecting the Hercules, then connecting the APC. Also I plugged in the vinyl and it also works with timecodes, hurrah!

This goes against everything i've ever learnt - normally you'd plug all your devices in BEFORE launching the software? It has to be said that the old Hercules is a bit ropey, and it takes several attempts plugging it in before it recognises it as both a controller and a soundcard (or at all!)

Anyway, it works, don't know why or how but it does. If you're having similar problems, you could try plugging your devices in with VDJ running, it seems to be able to handle hardware changes on the fly :)

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 8:05 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not sure what kind of USB ports you are using, but you may also consider plugging your devices to a self-powered USB 2.0 hub. I've seen Hercules suggesting this for old models.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 8:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)