Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Intel i5 vs i7 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi there this is question for developers of Vdj !
my question is just based for VDJ : will the i5 processor 3 GHz be faster and better perform than i7 2.5 GHz

should I go for the higher i5 or lower i7?

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 7:58 pm
nicholas123 wrote :
Hi there this is question for developers of Vdj !
my question is just based for VDJ : will the i5 processor 3 GHz be faster and better perform than i7 2.5 GHz

should I go for the higher i5 or lower i7?

i7 is always gonna be better sir...just because u see some specs on a i3 & i5 rated higher than an i7 dont mean they are faster & better
i3 - good
i5 - better
i7 - best

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 12:02 am

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 7:57 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I don't think there's comparisons using VirtualDJ as a benchmark though :p

First of all, you'd need to know exact model numbers to do a good comparison. I'm not sure which 2.5Ghz i7 you are comparing to which 3Ghz i5.
(this is the list of the 7th generation intel core processors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake )

I think for some older core i cpu's there may have been models for which the i5 had a higher speed, but the i7 had more threads/cores.
In this case I think vdj would generally benefit more from the multiple cores than from the higher speed, so in that case the i7 would probably be better.

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 8:20 am
Adion the reason I have write this topic is because I have notice differences between i5 and i7 CPU's..
Example I had Intel Core i5-2410M witch runs on 2.3 GHz then I have upgraded to Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
The i5 runs hotter comparable to i7!
only videos runs better on i7 then on i5.
with i5 vdj runs fine and smooth even scratch waves are running smoothly comparable to i7 : with i7 scratch waves does not runs smoothly it looks like downgrade to i5?
but other differences witch I have notice is : the i7 is better for analyzing the tracks, it does 2 songs at once in the browser comparing to i5.
Now I wanna upgrade between Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60GHz or Intel Core i7-2860QM 2.500 GHz
Adion what are you thinking of this choice and which do you think is better?

I know that Intel Core Extreme I7 2960XM 2.7 GHz would be the best !

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 4:21 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Well, check here:
https://ark.intel.com/products/52224/Intel-Core-i5-2410M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

They both have the same turbo speed (up to 2.9Ghz), the only reason the base clock for the i7 is lower is because at the base speed it has to be able to sustainably power 4 cores instead of 2 for the i5.
Running 2 cores continuosly the i7 can probably run at at least 2.3Ghz as well, so there's no drawback for the i7 there.

The only thing that I can see is that if you are using the integrated graphics, the i7 has a slightly lower top clock speed for the graphics (1.1Ghz, compared to 1.2Ghz for the i5)

Unless it is super cheap to upgrade, I wouldn't bother and start saving for a new laptop though. These processors are 6 years old already. Even an entry-level i5 of the 6th or 7th generation will perform better, in particular the graphics part.

To get the waves smoother, if you are running the early access release of vdj 8, you could try to enable experimentalSkinEngine. It doesn't work perfectly with all skins yet, but it does lower the gpu-power needed, so it could help on getting smooth waves on older computers.

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 5:54 pm
Adion thanks very much man! and thanks to other people to who tried to help cheers!

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 7:06 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Interesting!

I've had vdj8.2 running well on much slower laptops.

You need this laptop running well even if you do get a newer one..it's a great backup. One laptop is not good enough.

An important factor is cpu power requirements, I've just upgraded a 3rd gen celeron to an i5 2.7ghz. These are 35w cpu's.. I'm unsure if l can go to a 45w cpu?

Cpu speed may be the important factor with respect to integrated graphic chips!

What operating system are you using?
Win 10 seems to be very good.

Note: the integrated graphics chip on both the i5 and i7 will be the same so clock speed is vital. Odd... an i7 quad core might be a downgrade on a faster i5 with respect to graphics!!

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 7:24 am
bigron1 I have tested i5 2,3GHz turbo 2.900Ghz comparing to i7 2.00 GHz with turbo boost 2.900GHz
turbo speeds are the same but i5 keep scratch waves to run very smoothly
My conclusion is :the higher i5 is faster than lower i7 quad core....
Quad core i7 are maybe better for running more programs at the same time and higher i5's are better for single programs
so be careful how you spending your money on CPU's don't get screwed about the speed, but the price is big difference about the higher i5's and lower i7's ,
i7's are far more expensive comparable to highest i'5s, higer i5's are better than lower i7's I think if you wanna use only for mixing one single program i5' are just fine for virtual dj, anyway you don't wanna use few programs while you dj-ing do you? that is just waste of money lower i7' quad core won't give you better performance....I have tested that!
Adion stated this models are different maybe that's way : clock speed for the graphic i7 is 1.1 and i5 is 1,2 maybe that make changes?

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 12:17 pm
one single program i5' are just fine for virtual dj,
+1
I don't think you need to save up for a new one..I disagree with Adion.

It's obvious that the i7's of the same generation, same number of cores and clock speed are better than the i5's.
I will in due course upgrade to a fast i7. Turbo is a term which reminds me of the program power rating of a speaker..almost bullshit.
My i5 is a 2.7ghz with a bullshit turbo of 3.4ghz.

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 1:55 pm
Adion has been good to us since he designed vdj8.2 to be frugal with laptop resources and it will almost run on an abacus !
So many programs are a bloated mess designed to create premature hardware obsolescence.
Win 10 seems good (I'm amazed) !

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 2:07 pm
Unless it is super cheap to upgrade, I wouldn't bother and start saving for a new laptop though.

It cost £25 for my celeron to i5 2.7-3.4 ghz cpu upgrade but took about 4 hours since I was unfamiliar with the laptop disassembly and needed to be very careful. I could do it in an hour now. The learning curve is also interesting. I am now a little wiser.

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 3:41 pm
bigron 1 I have dissembled once I got do it again! I'm scared a bit!
Let you know when I do final test with this Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60GHz
if this show that the i5 is better then I will know where to invest on my next purchase...

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 6:04 pm
I would not remove a working i7 quad core cpu. It's good and is much better than a i5 in many ways. Instead if I felt there was a problem I would reduce the graphics load. Both of your cpu's should work well??

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 6:21 pm
I will try and will test that and I will keep the winner inside

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 7:09 pm
This link gives you the possible upgrade options. You are now fitting the fastest i5 upgrade.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5_Mobile/i5-2540M_(PGA).html

Benchmarks for your cpu's are here:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
These only give us a rough guide as to how they will perform with VDJ8.2 however that is better than nothing.

Watch out for the cpu power requirements..although I suspect that only demands a more powerful laptop charger?
I'd expect a 35w to 45w cpu upgrade to work given a suitable charger however 55w may be beyond the laptops specs.

Your latest i5 will do a good job.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 17 @ 11:00 am
nicholas123 wrote :
bigron1 I have tested i5 2,3GHz turbo 2.900Ghz comparing to i7 2.00 GHz with turbo boost 2.900GHz
turbo speeds are the same but i5 keep scratch waves to run very smoothly
My conclusion is :the higher i5 is faster than lower i7 quad core....

Assuming you used completely different machines for your testing, you did not mention what GPU was being used in each machine. That can be an important factor so without knowing that hard to come to any conclusions. We assume Intel Integrated which range at the lower end of GPUs but vary by model number.

Posted Fri 02 Jun 17 @ 3:26 am
He's using 2nd generation cpu's which means Intel hd3000 except on the budget cpu's when plain and simple hd is used.
My 3rd generation cpu uses hd4000..and so on.

Posted Fri 02 Jun 17 @ 8:02 am
I don't use laptops much and have never purchased one but really never gave it any though that the GPUs were hardwired like that. I use a tower computer most of the time and used to popping in a new card when need be but no can do with most laptops. The GPUs you mentioned passmark around 331 and 453. I had an old GPU that was around 300 and was fine for development purposes but I would never have used it for a live show.

I think you save money by buying the latest available within reason and should last you a long time. If you take short cuts and buy a machine that is nearing obsolesce chances are you will be buying another one sooner than later.

Posted Sat 03 Jun 17 @ 1:11 pm
Your addons run ok on a Intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz laptop with integrated graphics. It originally started life ten years ago as a Celeron 2ghz, 1gb mem, 120gb hdd running Vista. It's still a fully functional (including video) backup...and I can buy songs on the Internet at the same time.

The point is that VDJ8.2 does not demand that much in the way of computer resources. It appears I may be the only one who has investigated the possibilities. i3's, i5's, i7's and many lesser cpu's with a reasonably high clock speed can happily run VDJ8.2.

This can be of great advantage to DJ's all over our world, particularly in the third world.

I tire of the word obsolescence and the casual way it's used.
Equipment is only obsolete once it can no longer do its job and not because it's 5, 6 or even 10 years old.
Simple.

Posted Sat 03 Jun 17 @ 2:03 pm
36%