Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Understanding code and mapping

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FigDj1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hello

I am new to VDJ not to being a DJ and so I am in a software transition.
I also bought a DDJ-SZ2 as an upgrade to my DDJ-SX. Thanks to the VDJ team for making the mapping available within early access.
I continue to learn VDJ and set up to transfer cue points, loops BPM, key etc. etc.
I must make my controller work with both software until the transition is completed with all the tracks and samples in place.
To this end I am mapping my new controller to the old software and found couple of things that perhaps I could learn from this forum.

2 issues.
#1 How to make the outermost LED ring (blue or white depending on which deck is selected)
#2 How to light up the inner jog LED ring (the red one)

For #1 I found the following:
<map action="loaded ? songpos_remain 10000ms ? blink 250ms : songpos_remain 20000ms ? blink 500ms : songpos_remain 30000ms ? blink : on : off" value="LED_JOGRING"/>

I understand that this command checks how much time is left on the currently playing track and sends a command for the outer most LED ring to blink accordingly.

For #2 I found the following:
<map action="load_pulse ? loop ? loop_position & param_multiply 50% : song_pos & param_multiply 50% : constant 0.001" value="LED_JOG_INNER"/>

I understand that this command checks for values and conditions, perform some calculation, and then the values to inner LED ring.

On another file I found the following for the LED map Channel and parameter
<!-- Illumination control LEDs -->
<led name="LED_LOADED" deck="1" channel="11" note="0x00"/>
<led name="LED_LOADED" deck="2" channel="11" note="0x01"/>
<led name="LED_LOADED" deck="3" channel="11" note="0x02"/>
<led name="LED_LOADED" deck="4" channel="11" note="0x03"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_PLAY_PAUSE" deck="1" channel="11" note="0x0C"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_PLAY_PAUSE" deck="2" channel="11" note="0x0D"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_PLAY_PAUSE" deck="3" channel="11" note="0x0E"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_PLAY_PAUSE" deck="4" channel="11" note="0x0F"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_CUE" deck="1" channel="11" note="0x10"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_CUE" deck="2" channel="11" note="0x11"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_CUE" deck="3" channel="11" note="0x12"/>
<led name="LED_JOG_CUE" deck="4" channel="11" note="0x13"/>
<led name="LED_CONNECTED" channel="11" note="0x09"/>

So here is my question for #1 and 2

What are the LED channels used what are the values of the LED's. I can find them anywhere. There are not listed in Pioneer documentation but obviously VDJ
figured out because they work perfectly in VDJ.

Just having the answer would help make my transition easier so I can complete the equivalent map in the old software, continue using both software suites until such time all the track's additional data (cues, loops , keys bpm) are all in VDJ.
I forgot to mention that section

<!-- Illumination control LEDs -->
it only contains data related to the white LED ring on this controller.
Please help

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 6:17 pm
Both software? Old software?

What software (other than VDJ) are you referring to?

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 6:35 pm
Mixvibes Cross

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 10:06 pm
something tells me Atomix put in a lot of hard work mapping that controller and probably will not give all their secrets away so you can map it to another software .. just my opinion maybe they will help who knows.

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 10:27 pm
I got the full license, all I am trying to do is to have both software up with the controller and start placing the cues and everything else in VDJ while I compare what I did before with Cross on the screen and set for one side of the controller. It is mapping, I got everything else right except for those 2 LED sets. Plus I am starting to understand the concept in VDJ so I can start doing some custom mapping and functions. I am not working for any company just for myself. In addition, I did hepped out a lot in Mixvibes but contrary to popular belief I don't work for Mixvibes. I am just another DJ. They actually did me wrong and stole some of my code to use it in their retail version. That's right, took my code added to the retail version and didn't even ask.

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 10:41 pm
The leds you are trying to control (the jog leds) are LOCKED by device firmware to work only with Serato. They cannot be controlled directly via MIDI commands.
Therefore you'll have to unlock the controller for it to accept specific MIDI messages which are confidential and not released on the MIDI spec sheet that's published by Pioneer.

That's not something new. That's the case with all Serato controllers since Pioneer DDJ-SX

Posted Tue 16 May 17 @ 11:33 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The leds you are trying to control (the jog leds) are LOCKED by device firmware to work only with Serato. They cannot be controlled directly via MIDI commands.
Therefore you'll have to unlock the controller for it to accept specific MIDI messages which are confidential and not released on the MIDI spec sheet that's published by Pioneer.

That's not something new. That's the case with all Serato controllers since Pioneer DDJ-SX

Thanks you so much for your reply. I was thinking along the same lines but also thought I was going crazy since nothing worked. I did notice that VDJ got them to work so that is great. I don't pretend for VDJ to reveal any secrets either. I was just trying to make my stuff work correctly for an easier transition.

I am going little by little with the manuals for VDJ and I am impressed as to how powerful and flexible it can be. At some point I will be writing my own scripts and hope to become a good contributor to this forum.

Once again thank you so much for you candid response.

Posted Tue 16 May 17 @ 12:58 pm
Since you have Pioneer DDJ-SZ2...

The manual for the device is not ready yet. Actually it's being written as we speak.
You can take a look at the manual of DDJ-SZ (http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddjsz.html) instead to understand (more or less) how the unit should work until it's own manual is ready.
HOWEVER:
SZ2 unlikely SZ is not using it's hardware mixer to mix the digital audio coming from the computer. Nor it does use a typical "Master + Headphones" audio setup.
It uses a far more complicated audio routing and therefore please make sure that:
A) you are using the default audio configuration recommended for the device and
B) you are absolutely 1000% sure what you're doing if you're about to remap ANY of the mixer elements.

If you need any further assistance to remap some aspects of the device, don't hesitate to ask. However I would not recommend to mess around with the mixer elements.

Posted Tue 16 May 17 @ 1:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)