Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Scrolling through a song is too fast using trackpad, need advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Greetings, I'm a diehard VDJ fan. Often, I like to mix with my laptop, soundcard, and external mixer only. I use my laptop keyboard for play/stop and cue points. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I grab the non-playing (or headphone-cued) deck with the trackpad (by two-finger clicking over the spinning wheel on the screen) the track scrolls forward or back waaaay too fast to be useful. What I'm trying to do is finely adjust track position in order to set a cue point. I can't see any way to slow the scroll down. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Sat 13 May 17 @ 5:02 pm
I don't know of a setting in VDJ, but what about the trackpad options on the laptop?

Posted Sat 13 May 17 @ 11:45 pm
I appreciate your reply. I have to say that that's a huge oversight. How can I submit a suggestion for a future version?

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 12:04 am
Not sure if I understand you. Have you tried the trackpad options on the laptop?

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 12:13 am
No, I can't see adjusting the trackpad just so I can scroll through a song at a slower rate because it would affect all the other things I do with a trackpad. If you don't mind, can you try to mix a few tracks using just your trackpad and keyboard? You'll immediately see what I'm talking about.

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 12:34 am
have your tried grabbing the large wave forms at the top or plugging in a mouse :-)

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 12:37 am
I'm not sure if two finger trackpad is the way to go. I just tried on my wireless keyboard, and you are right, it is unusable. However, one finger on the left click and a finger on the trackpad works great. I just don't know if two finger scrolling is intended to be used like this. The wish list is here.

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 12:39 am
Thank you all for your replies. I see that it works the way I need it to with one finger but only after clicking the trackpad. That's wonky because you have to click and keep it clicked as you move the virtual platter. Same thing if you click on the waveform instead of the platter. If you click and keep the trackpad depressed, you can fine adjust the track position but it's not as easy as it would be if you could do that by two-finger scrolling.

My primary DJ software is always going to be VDJ but I had to rely on algoriddim's djay Pro for a year because I needed access to Spotify at a gig. That program has many limitations but it does offer some really intuitive trackpad options. I mostly got used to doing the two-finger thing to fine tune a track's position before setting a cue point.

Thank you both for your time.

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 6:03 pm
if you are trying to get cue exactly on the beat you maybe want to enable -> quanitizeSetCue

all u need do is get close and it will snap to the beat with that

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 6:20 pm
Thank you. That's a good suggestion for dance music but I mix with funk, soul, breaks and other stuff with live drums, like 99% of the time.

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 7:09 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
use a pair of keyboard keys set to
nudge -1ms
nudge +1ms

I use the left and right arrows and use shift arrows for larger [faster] numbers, something like +33ms

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 11:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)