Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Very basic questions on connecting to mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all -

I have a very basic question. I have a very old but capable Numark MX190 mixer. Hardly any information about it online, but it is very similar in appearance and functionality to the CM100. The mixer has the Fader Start feature and has two 3.5mm connections on the back labeled 'Player Control, A and B'. I know this was originally built to control a CD player, but I was hoping I could use it to play/cue a song in virtual DJ.

My first and most basic question is:

1) How do I connect my PC to the mixer? I tried connecting the 3.5mm cable to line in on my PC and then adding "Line In" in Virtual DJ settings. But how do I tell virtual DJ to listen for commands here?

2) Do I need to use the Controllers tab in settings to create a new mapping file for my mixer? I only see a list of existing controller profiles but not an option to add some other mixer.

Thanks,

- Nathan

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 1:49 pm
That mixer doesn't send any type of midi data so it will not work for what you want.

Your gonna need to upgrade to a different mixer, one that sends midi data.

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 2:45 pm
....or just use it as a mixer.

Set VDJ to "external mixer" and send the output of each deck to its own mixer input, then mix using the hardware. No need for the onscreen mixer.

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 4:50 pm
No Groovin, he wants the "Fader Start" feature.

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 5:18 pm
No Huey, that feature can't be used with VDJ (as you said). At least he can use the mixer, and perhaps control VDJ with a DJ2GO (etc).

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 6:46 pm
Thanks for the quick responses. Yes I already have both VDJ decks connected to separate inputs on the mixer so I'm able to use the mixer. I was just hoping to start the track in VDJ using the mixer's fader start feature. I understand that I can't do that.

Just curious, if it's not outputting a midi signal, what kind of signal is it that the mixer sends from that player control port? When I was blindly clicking through settings trying to make this work yesterday, at one point I tried 'timecode signal' in VDJ with the mixer's player control A connected to PC Line In. A timecode calibration tab showed up and whenever I moved the mixer's crossfader, the line popped up and then back down indicating some kind of signal was getting through.

Posted Wed 10 May 17 @ 10:46 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Can't say for sure but it's probable that it's just sending a 5 volt pulse,
Now you could make a diy midi device with a tensy or similar PLC, and you could plug your fader starts into that, then it would work. But that may be more complicated than you had hoped.

Posted Thu 11 May 17 @ 4:45 am
locodog wrote :
Can't say for sure but it's probable that it's just sending a 5 volt pulse,
Now you could make a diy midi device with a tensy or similar PLC, and you could plug your fader starts into that, then it would work. But that may be more complicated than you had hoped.

doesn't sound too bad. Could you recommend such a device on amazon? Don't want to buy something that won't work. I would like to play with it and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted Thu 11 May 17 @ 7:35 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Tensy 3.1 is pretty good, it has in built libraries and well documented tutorials for midi (and HID if you choose), aurdino is also good (can also do HID, look up the unojoy joystick prproject) and you're looking @$20 or less for either board, maybe the same money for the few components.

With a small bit of figuring out you could have something much more than just fader start.

But I'm unaware at what sort of signal a fader start outputs but I should imagine it will be a standard that could be discovered online, without having to crack out the oscilloscope.

Posted Sun 14 May 17 @ 6:57 pm
Actually FaderStart on mixers does NOT send a signal. It's only a typical switch (on/off)
The connected CDJ (or any other device) feeds the switch with signal and reads it's status (open/closed)
And yes, the "feed" is typically +5V for a connected system.

More info on these pages:
http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/story/44/Faderstart-on-CDJ/CMX/

http://www.djresource.eu/Forum/topic/748/Fader-Start-Cable/

PS: Some newer Pioneer Mixers use different protocols (like sending a pulse) on supported models only (like a DJM-850 on CDJ2000)
However since this is a Numark Mixer I would expect it to use the "simple switch" approach as almost all mixers and mixing desks do...

Posted Mon 15 May 17 @ 8:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)