Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Got myself a pair of Evox 8's, but speakers have no DSP. Wondering if 'sound profile' can be done in software?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, so I love the storage, the weight, and the clarity of the speakers, plus they seem to have an endless headroom for volume, but the subs just don't push as hard as I would like. Since there's no DSP on the speakers, there's no profiles to push low end frequencies a little higher (for example). I'm wondering if there's some way through virtual dj to tune the sound profile that goes out through the master?

I attempted to use the 2 plug ins that I found on the site (10 and 30 band eq) how ever, when I attempt to boost the low end, there is a more than obvious 'ducking' that happens, and very little audio comes through the speakers when a low end frequency hits.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 9:30 pm
The ducking you are referring to might be the limiter kicking in within VDJ. See if the limiter light is coming on in the software. If so, you can go into the settings and reduce the zeroDB setting. I have mine at -6db.

With regard to DSP, most speakers only have dsp in regards to protecting themselves with limiters and dealing with crossovers and so on. I would be very surprised if there isn't some DSP going on inside them.

You could always very cheaply get a DBX GoRack

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 9:50 pm
Just had a quick google of these....

Features
Processor Section
Crossover frequencies: 220 Hz
Protections: thermal, rms
Limiter: Soft limiter
Controls: Volume, EQ, phase, xover

Is this not DSP?

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 9:54 pm
Apologies, Yes it does have a DSP. What I meant was, I have no way (on the speaker) to adjust scenes or settings of the eq, crossover, gain for sub/top, just a plug, gain, and boost.

If I had the option, I would bump the bass WAY up right on the speaker, but they don't have that option, and wondered if I can do this via a plug in, or settings within virtualdj. Used 'dsp' to explain, totally wrong terminology.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 3:52 am
Going to try applying the 30 band eq plugin to the master, and see if that will help, along with the lower db, and post results here.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 3:56 am
Did you check if the limiter was kicking in?

Ideally it would be better to run your sound through a mixing desk. But as a cheap alternative the dbx GoRack could do what you want, It even has sub harmonic synthesis which will really give lots of bass, just make sure the speakers can handle it. Though I am a big fan of RCF so I would think they could. There are software options, I am just not a fan of them.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:51 am
Andy7689 wrote :
Ideally it would be better to run your sound through a mixing desk.

For this purpose I have just falling in love with *drumroll* - A Behringer mini-mixer
Yes,Behringer :-O
It's the Behringer Xenyx QX602MP3 Mixer

I've tested it a few times, and I can find nothing wrong about the stereo line-ins, the 3-band EQ for each channel, and the master out, which is all I need for normal playing
I guess that featureset is so old, and without anything that can really color the sound (like pre-amps and effects), the even Behringer can't mess it up

But what is also give me is 2 mike inputs with pretty crappy pre-amps and pretty crappy fixed reverb - which is all I need for pretty crappy Karaoke singers

Final thing it gives me is a built-in mp3-from-usb feature. So basically this feature is always looping a pre-made mix from a small USB drive, so if something goes wrong with my laptop setup, all I have to do is slowly fade in a channel on the mixer, and there is music again

And you can get it for $99.99
I love it!

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 9:06 am
Yeah for the money, its all most DJ's would need, and the USB feature is good. I just have my phone playing a mix on a different channel for the same purpose.

I do take a slightly different view when it comes to karaoke though. I want them to sound as good as they possibly can, so i use pro microphones and full on lexicon vocal effects. My theory is that I want them to be like "wow, i've never sounded that good before" then they will keep coming back. That's the idea anyway.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 9:25 am
Andy7689 wrote :
I do take a slightly different view when it comes to karaoke though. I want them to sound as good as they possibly can, so i use pro microphones and full on lexicon vocal effects. My theory is that I want them to be like "wow, i've never sounded that good before" then they will keep coming back. That's the idea anyway.

Yeah, for me it's more like a "this is a gimmic, one song pr person, please don't come back" kind of thing :)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 9:53 am
Haha, yeah, I meant come back the next week, But I get what you are saying. I do have two real cheap nasty mics that i give to the real drunk idiots who are likely to swing them round.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 10:01 am
All I can say is WOW!!!

These speakers sounded flat, lazy, no bass what so ever, I was really thinking that I made a huge error, even though everyone else was telling me these were the ish. After applying the 30 band eq plugin on the master channel and tuning the eq to the speakers, all I can say is
WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

These speakers ROCK!!!

A buddy of mine has that go rack thing, i'm going to try that later today, but just that simple act of eqing the master channel has made a 500% increase in how these speakers sound. Before I couldn't even get the limiter to kick in without killing my ears, now the speakers are pushing enough bass for me to be happy.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 2:28 pm
Cool, glad you got it working. Looks like a good system and RCF is a very good brand so they ought to sound brilliant. I have an RCF sub myself.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 2:40 pm
Just make sure you don't break them by forcing them to do something they weren't designed to do.

You know, RCF are a world class respected speaker manufacturer. If they designed these speakers to sound "flat", then there'll be a reason for that.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 4:57 pm
Hmm, yea you're right. Luckily, the guy who sold them to me is an RCF rep, and when I told him that i'm using software to 'fudge' the eq band to make it sound better, he gave me a gorack and said "try this first, I trust this over the software" so if he says its good for it, than I trust his word since he does this day in and day out.

Man, can't wait for my gig tomorrow to try these out at a real event, can't wait to see how they sound!

Which RCF sub do you have? The Evox8s sound amazing now on their own, but for larger events, I would like a little more 'uuumph'. Looking to match brands across all speakers, and I have my eye on the RCF SUB708-AS-MKII (Relatively lightweight for an 18 I believe, @ 83 Lbs) My current sub is around the same weight , Mackie srs-1500 @ 88 Lbs

Posted Fri 28 Apr 17 @ 9:50 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
Which RCF sub do you have? The Evox8s sound amazing now on their own, but for larger events, I would like a little more 'uuumph'. Looking to match brands across all speakers, and I have my eye on the RCF SUB708-AS-MKII (Relatively lightweight for an 18 I believe, @ 83 Lbs) My current sub is around the same weight , Mackie srs-1500 @ 88 Lbs

I have the RCF 702-as mkii Active Sub. Its only 12" sub and by far the smallest and lightest of the others that i tried out, but my god it pushes out some bass, so an 18" would be mega. I have to be honest, i have to turn it down way more than i ever have to turn it up. I was torn with my tops between some RCF ones, QSC K12's and the ones i bought which were the Yamaha DXR 12. The RCF ones were much lighter, but i just found the mids to be slightly better on the yamaha's and that was important to me. The highs and lows i would say are better on the RCF, and they are renowned for their brilliant tweeters. But my wife is a singer and uses them also, so mids was more important. I am looking at getting a second set of tops though and was looking at some RCF today so might do that in the near future.

Posted Fri 28 Apr 17 @ 10:04 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Andy7689 wrote :

The highs and lows i would say are better on the RCF, and they are renowned for their brilliant tweeters.

Good to know.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 17 @ 11:59 am
Sorry to drag this up, also have the 8s running vdj8 through an mc6000 mk2, all channel gains correct but the master level out was set to almost zero and still to much output, looking to reduce the db to -3 or -6 can anyone else confirm this has to be done

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 11:44 am
Brakaway dj...all you need....they will sound even better.

Posted Tue 30 May 17 @ 12:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)