Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Denon MCX8000 possible to use WASAPI instead of ASIO? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So, is it possible to use the MCX8000 with WASAPI instead of ASIO drivers?
I tried but did not get any sound, even though setting exclusive access to YES
When using the 6000mk1 I always go for WASAPI has proven to be more reliable

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 11:25 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hm ..

I've always used the manufacturers "latest" asio drivers (Hercules, N.I., Denon, Pioneer).
The windows audio drivers should always work but would be my last and a temporary choice while I sorted out any asio driver problems.
It's worth keeping a close eye on the Denon website..I'd guess their updating the mcx8000 firmware/drivers quite often. The firmware might be the very important one..as it was with the Pioneer xdj r1. See http://www.denondj.com/mcx8000

I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a few teething problems.. but it will all work out fine.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 11:42 am
Which OS are you on. I have heard issues with some people getting WASAPI to work on Windows 10.

All my windows 7 & 8.1 machines work fine.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 12:12 pm
I try to stay as long as possible on Windows 7.

Of course I have latest firmware in the unit. First step.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 12:22 pm
bigron1 wrote :
..I'd guess their updating the mcx8000 firmware/drivers quite often.

Really?
11-29-16 was the last update for this unit ;o)

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 1:01 pm

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 1:02 pm
music234 where did you find the change log? I looked.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 1:04 pm
If you download the latest firmware, that zip will include release notes which state updates is not so frequent any longer...

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 1:11 pm
Denon don't mention any alternative software to Serato in their main product info section but in their product faq I found this..

Is the Denon DJ MCX8000 supported with Virtual DJ, Traktor or any other DJ program?

The Denon DJ MCX8000 has been developed from the ground up as an amazing controller for Serato DJ or Engine. Denon DJ and Serato have carefully tuned and mapped each control to create the best possible out-of-the-box user experience with the included Serato DJ software.

However, since MCX8000's hardware controls appear to your computer as a generic MIDI device, it can indeed be custom-mapped to any other DJ application that supports user or developer-created custom mapping.

A note about the MCX8000's onboard screens: They were designed expressly for use with Serato DJ or Engine. In most situations, only the MCX800's on board knobs and sliders will work with other software applications that can be mapped to the MCX8000.

It's important to us that manufacturer's keep their hardware compatible with alternative software.
Their asio drivers must be compatible with software other than just say "Serato".
This could be a method of restricting our freedom to choose our own software.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 2:55 pm
Yes I agree, and which is already said, VDJ team has made an outstanding job mapping up this controller entirely including the screens.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 3:06 pm
bigron1 wrote :
music234 where did you find the change log? I looked.

Sorry to come back so late. Inside the latest fw-update for this unit. And as said above it's not such a high frequent.

MrJackson2014 wrote :
VDJ team has made an outstanding job mapping up this controller entirely including the screens.

Absolut agree with you. But anyway: problems could pop up, if you update this unit with a new fw... but the VDJ-Manual says on the first page:
"Firmware : Update the firmware of the unit to the latest available version from http://www.denondj.com/mcx8000".
I miss something like "tested with FW-Release xxxxxx", but that's another discussion ;o)

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 5:43 pm
I still have a new MCX8000 and starting to play with it more. As far as my experience with this unit, the WASAPI driver works on my Win10 64bit PC but lags quite a bit. I've been using ASIO ever since I tried WASAPI for a little bit with this issue.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 1:12 am
nassausky wrote :
I still have a new MCX8000 and starting to play with it more. As far as my experience with this unit, the WASAPI driver works on my Win10 64bit PC but lags quite a bit. I've been using ASIO ever since I tried WASAPI for a little bit with this issue.

But you feel that the Denon ASIO driver is stable ?

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 6:34 am
I've not normally felt any need to adjust the default latency setting of any asio driver but stability, if lacking, can be improved by increasing the latency. I remember long ago messing around trying to optimize the latency..what I mean is reducing the latency to the point where audio glitches start to be heard.

There is a correlation between latency (response time) and stability!

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:15 am
Since I am not scratching and generally does not need ultrasmall latency, I rather keep stability and audioquality at the expense of latency.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:17 am
That is something you can play around with in the asio settings. Phantom outlined the effect of different settings in his post which can act as a guide.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:34 am
This might be the most important topic I've ever seen..it's essential third party software like vdj has access to the hardware audio interface. If the Phantom is correct, then at the moment, only the use of the hardware manufactures drivers can ensure compatibility.

Let's hope that the manufactures are close to establishing an audio standard comparable to that of Apple.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:57 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When you select it as WASAPI (both with and without exclusiveAudioAccess), what do you see in the audio config after pressing apply exactly?
Does it fail to initialize, or does it show some numbers at the end?

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 8:21 am
I've got all sorts of options for my Pioneer asio driver..I'd bet that if needed dropping down from 24bit to 16bit would improve stability (if needed), and the music and response would sound more or less the same. Note that the CD Red Book standard was 16bit ! Also a top of the range gaming laptop might help get the latency down below the default (Beatbreaker's need perhaps!). This could be important to those who use DVS systems.
Comments?

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 2:25 pm
Adion wrote :
When you select it as WASAPI (both with and without exclusiveAudioAccess), what do you see in the audio config after pressing apply exactly?
Does it fail to initialize, or does it show some numbers at the end?

Will check in a few hours

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 2:53 pm
22%