Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: using external mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all, new to all this but have VIRTUALDJ8 and have paid for licence for using external mixer but need advice on USB sound cards with two stereo outputs.......supposed to be playing a few tunes at an up coming birthday party but cannot seem to find what I need......any help appreciated...I am in the UK regarding suppliers

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 1:27 pm
Assuming the mixer doesn't have a sound card then? Depends whether you want cheep and cheerful but solid and reliable like the Numark DJIO or you could go for something better like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, of the Novation Audiohub or numerous other DJ audio interfaces on the market.

If all you are doing is playing a few tunes at a mates party, then I guess what is wrong with just using the laptops sound card and coming out of the headphone jack. I would never normally suggest this, but if its a one off.

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 1:59 pm
Thanks for response.....I am trying to follow this advice from the manual.

"In order to use an external analogue dj mixer a sound card with at least 2 stereo outputs is
required. For each VirtualDJ deck you wish to use with an external mixer a dedicated stereo
channel is required."

the laptop sound card doesn't have two stereo outputs and I am not having any success in identifying the right card.....cost is also an issue......I would like to try some mixing myself using pfl rather than just playing tunes with automix or so .......not sure what external mixer will be used

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 3:21 pm
I do have a tiny Behringer XENOX 302 USB mixer linked to the laptop and feeding my headphones and my speakers, which could feed into a full size mixer ....but it has only one output

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 3:30 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 3:37 pm
Just had a look at that mixer you have, It is an audio interface in its own right. You should be able to send the audio to the mixer from USB, then out to your speakers. Then plug your headphones into the laptop headphone socket and Cue/PFL on there. You dont need anything else, just need to set the sound config up to output the PFL to the internal soundcard (headphones) and the track out of the usb. So you will need to have the audio config on dual soundcard.

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 4:03 pm
brilliant......I had wondered if that was possible and tried it but didn't have the configuration worked out......thanks again

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 4:43 pm
So is this Behringer the 'external mixer' you planned on using when you bought the license?

If it is, I can't see it being much use for DJing. It's only got one line channel, and the other input's for a mic.

Also, when using the external mixer config in VDJ, the internal (software) mixer isn't used at all, so you need cueing facilities on the external mixer too.

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 6:03 pm
bought a Native Instrument KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 in the end which is excellent and more than I need at present but who knows
......wondering now if it is possible to stream sound directly from YOUTUBE etc via VDJ ?......I was a little confused back in the day and confused mixers, controllers and external sound cards.....I have a Newmark Mixtrack 3 which has no sound card hence the KA 6.......had I known the Behringer soundcard wasn't up to the job, then of course it would have been better to have bought a controller with sound card.....live and learn though

Posted Tue 03 Sep 19 @ 3:41 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Not youtube, but vdj offers streaming from a few sources like SoundCloud Deezer, (there are others, see the "online music" folder in vdjs browser) but there's a cost.

Posted Tue 03 Sep 19 @ 4:24 pm
thanks for that

Posted Tue 03 Sep 19 @ 4:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)