Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Can Hot Cues do this?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vjboyPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I've been a casual, some might say lazy VDJ user but I'm looking into upping my game and improving my skills. I just got done watching a bunch of YouTube tutorials and one had what looked like an interesting technique using Hot Cues, but the DJ didn't really explain what happened very well. The video was made several years ago so I thought I might get a quicker answer here rather than posting in his YouTube comments.

What I think I saw is the DJ setting a hot cue near the end of a dance track on deck A, right at the point where the final build up ends, then on deck B he set a hot cue where the main part of the actual song begins. He played track A and as it got close to the end he played track B, hit the sync button (on track B) and then when the two Hot Cue points converged the audio of track A switched to track B, creating a seamless edit that made it sound like one continuous song. Very cool. I couldn't tell if the DJ did something else to make this happen or if it happened automatically just because of the Hot Cues

So I guess that's my question: is it just a matter of setting hot cue points for each song so that one switches to the other when the points match? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never used Hot Cues before and they look like something I should learn more about.

(PS: You might be wondering why I don't just try this on my own to see what happens but my laptop with VDJ on it is in the shop so I thought I'd post this question here so when I get the laptop back I can try what you guys suggest.)

Posted Sat 11 Mar 17 @ 4:03 am
No, hot cues can't automatically make one track transition to another - but Virtual DJ has things called POIs (points of interest) that can be added to tracks to enable all sorts of stuff to happen.

Please read the manual http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/editors/poieditor/index.html

What the DJ in your video possibly did was to set a loop on the outgoing track, so it continuously plays the last few bars, then slam in the new track (cued to the correct beat) - maybe by using fader start (where the track plays when the fader is moved).

Posted Sat 11 Mar 17 @ 9:23 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Actually it can if you up your script game.
You can write a repeat start script [a script that repeats X amount of times, every Xms] this script monitors the current track time against a hotcue position time, once the first equals or exceeds the second it can call a hotcue on the other deck,
Any thing you can do with a controller [bar scratching] on the fly can be automated, the tricky part is figuring out how to have it happen at the right time.

Posted Sat 11 Mar 17 @ 8:23 pm
can you lead us to the youtube video

Posted Thu 25 May 17 @ 1:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)