Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Akai APC Mini - Colour LED's no longer working - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Have a weird issue as of this morning. On my APC Mini the buttons are no longer coloured. They still show as coloured on the sampler side panel in the skin, but not on the actual unit. If I change the mapping back to default, then they all turn yellow, even though they are coloured all different colours. Worked fine until this morning. I did enable early access couple of days ago, but other than that I have not changed anything. Anyone else got this problem? I know quite a few people run this unit. It still works fine and when i press a sample it then lights with the right colour.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:03 pm
mine were acting strange the other day but i was remapping some stuff and i did something wrong

fixed the error and all it right again .... maybe there is some mapping error in the custom?

loving this unit btw.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:43 pm
ok i just noticed something weird if i have my other controllers connected when i turn on VDJ the sample LEDs of the AKAI APC Mini are green instead of yellow which is odd

if i turn on VDJ then connect the AKAI first the leds are yellow as expected

maybe the issue you are having is similar

also the sample select encoder are working in an unexpected manner

i have pioneer ddj-ergo, novation launch control, and akai apc mini

after further checking it seems the launch control and apc mini are conflicting somehow ..... unless i connect the launch control after the other stuff is connected very odd.

maybe this can help you Andy

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:51 pm
the only colors i can get mine to display are red, yellow, and green

Andy you are getting other colors?

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:57 pm
Appreciate the reply. I always have everything connected before i even start the laptop. I have restarted the laptop a few times and not changed anything. I just tried unplugging the APC with VDJ open and reconnecting, but still the same. I have not changed any other hardware. I just run this unit and a Numark NVII Have tried different cables and USB ports. Its very odd, but I also have an issue this morning with laptop not detecting HDMI monitor. I doubt its related but its odd I have both issues this morning. I am runnig a 6 month old Asus Rog with top end specs.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:58 pm
wickedmix wrote :
the only colors i can get mine to display are red, yellow, and green

Andy you are getting other colors?

No I only get those colours normally too, but only got yellow now

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 1:58 pm

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 2:02 pm
mine does not change color if samples are set to colors (with default mapping) as well ... maybe something in the new build

I just got my APC Mini so I didn't realize it was supposed to do that till you pointed it out... I just assumed it was only supposed to do yellow with the default mapping.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 2:52 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Due to the limited offered colors of the unit, we use the amber one when a sample is loaded, off when not and green when playing. At least that's how it should work with the default mapping
How are the Leds mapped in your custom mapping ?

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 2:55 pm

This is how the unit should look. I have not changed any mapping to these buttons, the only custom mapping i did was to map a few buttons which were blank. If i load the factory default mapping, all the buttons are yellow. This is how it has always been, for the last six months I have had it. The leds blink when playing and are static when not, but at least i can see from the colours what is what and which buttons have a sample on them when i dont have the window open on the skin. Now they dont light up until i press them

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 3:18 pm
wickedmix wrote :
mine does not change color if samples are set to colors (with default mapping) as well ... maybe something in the new build

I just got my APC Mini so I didn't realize it was supposed to do that till you pointed it out... I just assumed it was only supposed to do yellow with the default mapping.

With regards to this, prior to this morning you could assign a different colour to each sample, so I had all my kicks yellow, high hats red, bass green and so on

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 3:26 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
With regards to this, prior to this morning you could assign a different colour to each sample, so I had all my kicks yellow, high hats red, bass green and so on

yes doesn't work with the latest early access build 3621

I can't say if it worked with previous builds I just got the APC Mini after I had the build installed.

have you tried to go back and see if it changes you can download older builds here -> http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 4:21 pm
Going to try and roll back and see. Had a few issues since putting this build on machine. I have been playing automix for the last 6 hours while just doing some housekeeping stuff and the music just cut out a couple of hours ago, everything in the skin kept going, but no audio, like the speakers had just been switched off. Never had that before ever and its not a performance issue. Will try now and see what happens.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 4:25 pm
I can confirm - I have just rolled back to 3573 and all the colours have come back. Thank god for that.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 4:34 pm
so it appears to be a regression bug then no?

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 11:35 pm
Can you try to map a LED like...

action :
sampler_pad X ? blink 500ms ? get_sample_color X : off : get_sample_color X

(where X is the Pad/Sample number)
and see if it acts like it used to ?

If the above works, its just a matter of personal preference. Since the unit offers just 3 colors, it make sense to use 2-3 states to show if a sample is loaded or playing rather than having changing the colors of the Banks to match the offered colors. E.g. someone may use the APC Mini in one gig but may use a unit with RGB colors in some other and would like to have more colors for his Banks.
Additionally, having a LED to blink while a Sample is playing, isnt something that provides you the feedback you would want at a glance, as you will have to "wait" for a second to see if a LED is indeed blinking.

Posted Mon 06 Mar 17 @ 1:42 am
I have rolled back to the last public build, and its working great again now. Do you want me to put the early access build on again and then remap? I am not sure I really want to do that but if you need me to then I will have a go later. Might be easier for Wickedmix to give the mapping a try as he still has that build on his machine.

In terms of them blinking while playing, I like that it does that. I have my samples playing out on deck 3. I will have my fader down on deck three and have a kick playing all of the gig. Just so that if I need to i can bring the fader up, introduce a beat and then mix to other track. Or just bring a beat into a track. Being able to see that it is playing when i cant hear it is important. Also means i dont have to have the sampler showing on the skin. I hope the unit continues to work as it does now going forward in new builds.

Posted Mon 06 Mar 17 @ 8:24 am
I'll give it a try after work and let you know how it goes.

Posted Mon 06 Mar 17 @ 12:40 pm
ok so the code

sampler_pad 1 ? blink 500ms ? get_sample_color 1 : off : get_sample_color 1

does not work with build 3621 the pads stay dark with that code even though the samples have group colors

must be some kind of bug in this build?

Posted Mon 06 Mar 17 @ 9:56 pm
What if you map a LED as ..
color 'red'
or
color 'green'
?
Do they light up red/green and stay solid regardless if you press the pads or not ?

Posted Tue 07 Mar 17 @ 7:16 am
59%