Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Filter script

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I believe this was brought up before, but I'm having trouble finding the old post. When using the default hp/lp filter, fully turning the knob either way fully filters out the audio. I'm looking to change the default action so turning the filter +/- 100% will still leave the track audible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:56 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
What range do you want the filter to have? -50% to +50%?

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 12:33 pm
Im not exactly sure, I would have to play around with it. I just don't want to completely lose the audio. Maybe +/- 90% would get me there...

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:26 pm
Can you not just go into settings and turn "eq full kill" off? Or do you still want the low/mid/high to full kill

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:45 pm
Still want the EQ to go full kill, just not the HP/LP filter to.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:50 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Let's say you want the Filter to work from 10% to 90% (equal areas on both sides)
B (area that you dont want it to reach) = 10%
A =100- ( 2 * B)
param_multiply A & param_add B & filter
In this example :
param_multiply 0.8 & param_add 0.10 & filter

Case you need it to work from 10% to 80% (different areas on left and right sides)
B (area on the left side that you dont want it to work)
A = 100 - (2 * B) (for left side)
D (area on the right side that you dont want it to work)
C = 100 - (2 * D) (for right side)
param_bigger 50% ? param_multiply C & param_add D & filter : param_multiply A & param_add B & filter
In this example..
param_bigger 50% ? param_multiply 0.6 & param_add 0.2 & filter : param_multiply 0.8 & param_add 0.10 & filter

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:52 pm
I've never tried this myself, but just thinking. If you use the hp filter as a deck effect, i thought you could adjust the strength?

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 1:52 pm
thanks DJDAD, ill give that a shot this evening. Would you think its better to add that as an ONINIT or should I change the mapping of the filter knob on the controller?

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 3:02 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The scripts above are for the Filter knob, not the ONINIT ;)

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 3:26 pm
Djdad, sorry for the dealy in getting back.

I just tried your script in place of the default filter and the filter knob was no longer functional. Am I supposed to use the 'var hxmixer' along with that still?

Posted Sat 29 Apr 17 @ 3:24 pm
It might have helped if you'd mentioned that you're using a controller, and which one it is!

Me, I'd just not turn the knob all the way round. :-)

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 10:15 am
I did allude to the fact I was using a controller on my post from feb 27th. Its a ddj sx2.

It's not that easy to hit the 90% (or whatever) mark when quickly turning it for a crowd to sing a hook.

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 12:56 pm
If they're singing away, I doubt if they'll be concerned whether you're turning the filter 90% or 100% - so you shouldn't be either.

Don't worry, be happy!

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 4:18 pm
At 100% it's dead air. At 90% it will leave a beat for everyone to keep up with. When its over dead air the crowd doesnt keep up with the track and when i bring it back, they're not in the same place.

Are you able to assit getting the script to function properly?

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 5:53 pm
Cutting to the chase - I really don't see why it's necessary to have a script.

Just don't turn the knob so far! If you happen to do so, turn it back a bit.

I very much doubt anyone from the crowd is going to approach you and complain that you turned the filter too much.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't even use the filter. I usually just lower the channel fader. I've been DJing since long before mixers had filters on them!

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 6:22 pm
As have I. I've also been djing before software was available, doesn't mean I shouldn't use it...

Since you obviously don't have a response I am looking for, I think we're done here.

If anyone has input on how I can adjust the filter parameters with djdad' s script, I would greatly appreciate it!

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 1:31 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Tried djdad's script and it worked for me:
param_multiply 0.8 & param_add 0.1 & filter
seems to work fine for me (cut off 10% at both sides)

The range of the input slider is 0 to 1, so we first multiply by 0.8 to get it in the range 0 to 0.8
Then we add 0.1, so the range becomes 0.1 to 0.9

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 5:50 am
The way the filter works (cutting frequencies) means that changing the filter travel won't necessarily prevent tracks being muted completely.

It will depend on which frequencies are in the track to start with.

If a track contains frequencies that are beyond the filter cut-off point then they will be heard. If it doesn't - they won't.

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 8:17 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since he says the idea is to have the beat coming through while the rest of the song is muted, I assume he will only use it while there actually is a beat to be heard :p

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 8:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)