Forum: VirtualDJ 8.2 Technical Support

Use this forum to report any bug, questions or comment related to VirtualDJ 8.2.

(NOTE: VirtualDJ 8.2 is continuously updated, so many older topic on this forum are most probably already fixed in the current build)
Topic: VDJ 8.2b freezing while playing
Last night for the first time ever, VDJ would freeze on a number of occasions. It would freeze for 5-10 seconds and start playing... but do it multiple times. I thought it might be that I needed to clear some cache from my computer, so I cleaned my computer cache. Same thing. Still freezing up and starting. I would restart my computer each time. I then thought it might be my controller. I have the Pioneer DDJ-SX2. I then thought it could be my video library is stored in the icloud drive. So I copied everything over to my external. Same thing... I never have this issue or any issues with Serato DJ. I use a new model Macbook Pro - with 16Gb of ram 2.2 Ghz i7 processor. it's quite embarrassing when you have a packed club and dancefloor and this happens on a number of occasions in one night.

Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what was your resolve?

Posted Sun 19 Feb 17 @ 10:39 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Does the sound cut off when it is freezing?

It might just be related to the sleep mode of your external.
If the sound ist not affected VDJ may unfreeze after your external awoke.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 17 @ 9:51 am
It does seem to be a common issue with Pioneer controllers and Macs....

People have posted similar issues here before, and they were using Pioneer with Mac.

ISTR it was related to latency being set too low (buffer too small). Try increasing it a little. Something around 10ms should be fine.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 17 @ 6:29 pm
Literally came across the same thing IN THE MIDDLE OF A GIG! It is embarrassing, I think my controller is screwed cause it freezes, skips, then the whole program freezes! Honestly thought I would have to go buy a new controller but after seeing these issues coming up I have noticed this just started happening after I ran the update. Anyone have any fixes for it yet?

Posted Sun 23 Apr 17 @ 1:39 am
i experienced the same thing with the recent updates

Posted Sun 23 Apr 17 @ 6:10 am
@insomniac and darkknight - more (much more) info required.

Are you both using Macs and Pioneer controllers? If not, then please say what you're using.

Posted Sun 23 Apr 17 @ 5:23 pm
For me, the program freezes (play button doesn't work) after about 27 hours of playing. More precisely, it is 27 hours, 3 minutes, 11-12 seconds, or about 97391 seconds.
I did the math and it coincidentally happens that 2^32 (4294967296) lies between 97391*44100 and 97392*44100.

At 44100 numbers per second, it takes 97391 seconds to overflow the 32-bit unsigned integers. So this freeze may be caused by 32-bit integers overflowing.

Posted Sun 23 Apr 17 @ 5:41 pm
it shouldnt matter what im using I've been using the same equipment since i subscribed to vitual dj. only recent the problems occur with the latest builds and updates.

FYI-NUMARK MIXDECK QUAD
ACER LAPTOP WITH EXTERNAL DRIVE

Posted Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 11:37 pm
Just started with me after the latest update. Running PC with ddjsx. Every 10 minutes a song freezes and I had to reset the controller. Super embarrassing

Posted Sat 29 Apr 17 @ 7:14 am
can we get a response or a fix update something

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 1:55 am
djdadPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
The issue reported by dshamlin should be fixed in latest Early Access Build.

For the other cases, we cant reproduce so its hard to tell what happens

If you can easily reproduce a freeze/sound drop (like mikejannusch says it happens every 10 mins) and want to provide some useful feedback, you can go back to a previous Build (one by one would be ideal) and see at which Build this started to happen
http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 2:18 am
Hey Guys,
DJ Dad I see your post about it getting fixed but wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I have not had to do a wedding for a while now so I have just been playing around and scratching with mostly Serato. I did some lounge gigs and the company I contracted for required I use Serato so I did. Anyway I updated around the beging of the week/end of last week when I reopened VDJ for the first time in a while. I have a lot of my play lists saved in VDJ so it's just easier to use VDJ at a wedding.

On to the point;
While practicing on my turntables and DS1 for the past few days I have not had an issue. I took my Numark Mixdeck for the gig tonight like normal and hooked it all up. I'm still pretty sure VDJ still doesn't connect with the controller when I switch from my Computer only out to Mixdeck out so I still have to reset it every time. It's been a while not a big deal but still an issue. Then I put on dinner music for sound check and what not and after about 15-20 minutes in of it playing VDJ essentially froze and restarted in a time frame of 1-2 seconds. I thought it was odd but fine whatever. However it did it 2 more times to me while in the dance. The majority of the night Pulselocker would not respond and I couldn't get a few odd songs I had saved in a playlist from a predetermined request list given to me by my friend (the bride). I thought maybe it was the internet, or wifi so I tried a bunch of different options with tethering my phone, different wifi connections and so on. Finally just plugged my phone in to tether via USB but still nothing. I could use google just fine. I could download from Clubkillers just fine as well.

I set up between 4:30-5:30, cocktails were at 5:30. The first reset happened at 5-5:15ish. The second reset happened very shorly after the formal dances around 8:45ish. The third reset happened around 9:50-10:00 but this time Pulselocker kicked in and was working again. Each time the reset happened it seemed related to me loading a song on the opposite deck then the one playing. Each reset happened in the same fashion, the screen would lock up for a 1/2 second, restart and load back up in the other 1/2 of the second while pausing the music yet continued exactly from where the song left off. Also each time the playlist (before dinner)/ request lists (mid dance tracking) I had loaded in Automix and the list I had of formal songs in the sidelist would disappear. The lists clearing off could be a feature I (un)selected a while ago as I think I remember something about that.

I have v8.2b3710 on a 15" 09 Macbook Pro w/NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB, and a 500g Samsung SSD 850 EVO.

Brendan

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 8:57 am
How far back must I downgrade to not run into those problems?

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 10:14 am
Version beta 1.0 ☺

Posted Sun 07 May 17 @ 9:58 pm
Same thing happened to me last night. Both audio and video lagged and then seized completely like 4 times. Have had vdj for years never had a problem. I downloaded the latest update and this began happening.

Posted 7 days ago @ 10:59 pm
IT HAPPEND TO ME TONIGHT... IT WOULD PLAY FOR LIKE 3 MINUTES AND THE PROGRAM WOULD FREEZE I WAS JUST STARTING MY GIG...IT HAD NEVER HAPPEND BEFORE...TOMM I HAVE A WEDDING AND IM FREAKING OUT....NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THIS PROGRAM...I'TS NOT MY CONTROLLER ITS THE PROGRAM......I HAVE WINDOWS 7 WITH AN HP....

Posted 7 days ago @ 7:12 am