Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 with DJM900 Soundcard

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

I have noticed a small issue when using VDJ8 with the Pioneer DJM900 soundcard.

Basically when I have it setup to 'External Mixer' and selected my 2 output channels it works fine, the only issue is the internal gain knobs on VDJ8 are disabled and I can't trim back the output manually if needed (some tracks are too high and cause distortion)

I have this setup the exact same way on the DJM5000 but when I manually move the internal gains the volume adjusts perfectly.

Is there something I am missing to fix this small issue?

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Eoghan

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 5:17 pm
So....you've selected "external mixer" and you're surprised that the internal mixer knobs don't function?

That's the whole idea of using an external hardware mixer. The internal "virtual" mixer is not required. You've got a real one.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 6:07 pm
Ok, so what settings do I choose? This same configuration works with the DJM5000 and I can adjust the trim on the gain with the internal gains.

In the screen shot below, the mixer is not currently connected, but these are the settings from last night.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 6:45 pm
Settings? To do what?

If you choose "external mixer" then you adjust the audio with the external mixer. The DJM900 does have gain knobs.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 7:03 pm
Yes, I have it mapped to the mixer, the gain knobs on the DJM900 will physically move the on screen knobs but there is no change to the track level.

The issue is when you load a track that is pushing 100% level on the screen, it compresses the sound into the mixer and therefore the quality is awful.

Im sure it is an easy fix but I cant seem to figure it ...

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 10:10 pm
set zerodb to -3 or -6

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 10:42 pm
sullivan.eoghan wrote :
Yes, I have it mapped to the mixer, the gain knobs on the DJM900 will physically move the on screen knobs

OK I'll say it again. When using an external mixer, you do not need to map anything to the VDJ mixer. It's not being used!

You use your external mixer to adjust levels, EQ etc. You do not need the VDJ mixer, or any mapping.

Posted Thu 02 Feb 17 @ 5:43 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Many external mixers are mapped though, but set the vdj volume as 'fake' so that it's just a visual representation but altering the sound is done by the mixer.

The advantage is that the screen faders match your mixer's, and that since vdj knows them it can use the position to know which deck is audible (for automatic video fader and security load warnings for example)

Anyway, if you have connected your amplifier or speakers ti your mixer and the gain knobs don't work, the error is at your mixer.

Posted Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 6:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)