Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with Sound Quality in Latest Builds 3523 & 3568-3573 !!! Please Help ... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The past couple of months in the Latest Builds the Sound Quality in V DJ 8.2 has changed, the High and Mid Ranges, especially the High Ranges are literally Screaming through the Speakers !!! It's just to High in each song, after 15 to 20 minutes from listening to music, my ears are aching, mostly from the Treble (High Range).

When adding Mid Range, I get more High Range instead of Mids.
Subtracting High Range (Treble) turning the knob counter-clockwise, doesn't solve the problem, it just distorts the sound ...!

But not only that, the Beat has a more (sharper) sound, it doesn't have that Deep Bass that it used to, it's more like something in between the High and Mid Range Punching through the speakers instead of a Deeper sound coming through the Woofer.

I've noticed this at home in my Studio and in the Venues (Clubs) that I play at.

Two friends of mine who are also Using V DJ 8.2 have noticed this problem also.

When V DJ 8.2 first came out, it had Amazing and Balanced Sound Quality, especially in Builds 3398 and 3409.
You could Add as Much Treble-High and Mid Range as you wanted without any Hesitation. Now all I want to do is Subtract in most songs.

But turning Back Builds my Friends and I discovered a New Problem !!!

Although the Sound is how we remembered and preferred, the wave-forms and the song do not agree, it's not a Latency Issue, it's more like a malfunction, the wave-forms end while the song keeps on playing for at least 15 sec. I don't know if the problem is caused from Windows, but the Old Builds don't work properly anymore !!!
My friends had the same Problem ...

I'm Using Windows 7 and Windows 10 (from 2 different Laptops)

My Audio Interfaces are:
Novation Audohub 2x4
Hercules RMX2
Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2

and my Studio Monitor Speakers are ADAM F5

I've noticed this Issue with all combinations of Windows, Audio Interfaces and in 3 Different Clubs.

Please See what you did Right in the Earlier Builds of 8.2, the Sound Quality was Fantastic !!!

Has anyone else noticed this problem ???
and if Yes, is there a Solution ..?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 1:15 pm
Sorry People,

Made a Mistake when writing the Topic,

I meant Build 3523 not 2532 ...

how can I correct-Edit the Topic ?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 1:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I dont think anything is changed on the Sound Engine recently. Perhaps you could try to delete the settings.xml just in case i missed some new/modified setting.

For the waveform issue with previous builds, try setting the MaxPreloadLength to something like 20 (constant value in mins instead of "automatic")

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 3:39 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you record a short part of the same song in each build where the quality difference can be heard?

Also, which samplerate is your device set to (as seen in Config->Audio) and what is the samplerate fo the files you are testing?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 3:42 pm
Could it be the limiter kicking in? I don't see many other people complaining about this, so just wondering what the common denominator might be.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 3:54 pm
Finally, someone noticed the same thing!

I do gigs every second week on big clubs and around November I noticed that the sound from virtualdj wasn't so "rich" and the higher freq were "screaming". Later that month, even the owner of the venue told me that the sound wasn't good too, so some of my regular costumers. So I roll back to the 3390 build, the last build I used on my summer parties and I remember that the sound was perfect. The audio went back to what I used to remember and the same owner of the venue come and told me on my next gig on December the same thing!
I use a Hercules RMX 2 with windows 10, but I also tested the audio with an old semi-pro card from Terratec (Aureon Firewire) that works only on win xp on another laptop, with the same results.
But what I also noticed, is that rolling back to that summer build, on the same laptop, the CPU is now all the time overload and when I load a mkv / mp4 video, the soundwaves on the top of the screen, end before the track actually ends! With the latest builds that doesn't happened. But I used that 3390 build for about 2 months without issues, so what happened here?
The only thing that changed to that laptop, is that windows 10 upgraded to the latest version.

Anyway, audio quality is very important to me, because I work on some great clubs with great audio set ups and the owners even let me use the XLR connections so to have the needed audio quality boost. I forced to do a couple of gigs with that problematic soundwave issue (I bypass the CPU overload by setting track's loading on idle - The CPU still on red, but at least I don't have random freezes on audio during the night - My sets are usually 6-7 hour long)

Posted Wed 18 Jan 17 @ 10:14 am
If your CPU goes to RED then it would be wise to tell us more about your setup.
Laptops specs and ASIO settings are two critical things for this case.
Also please let us know what's your "pitchQuality" setting.
Some time ago the "Master Tempo" algorithm received an upgrade and for most (if not all) of us it works better than before.
However, if your laptop is weak it may experience degraded performance and you may have to change the "pitchQuality" setting.

Finally, while RMX2 has a decent sound card I wouldn't call it the best sound interface (quality wise) if quality is such critical on your setups.

PS: I work on some large clubs/large PA systems as well. Some audio interfaces just don't cut it. That has nothing to do with the software.
However keep in mind that whatever "degradation" your audio suffers from, it may be multiplied by a decent sound system.

PS2: When you go back to a very old build it's also wise to remove your settings.xml file (keep a backup of the original file of course)
That's because as builds advance some settings may change or may change their default values.
Therefore you may be using an old build with a default setting that's re-adjusted for a newer build and this may cause troubles.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 17 @ 10:31 am
Interesting tips, I'll check them ASAP.

Well, one of the two "big" venues I do frequently gigs (and I use as a practical reference regarding the audio quality), use it's own hardware and that won't change anytime soon regarding the Hercules. (They even have 2 more RMX2 units to spare as a back up). I'll know the hardware details of one of those laptops they are using on Saturday which I have another party to do there. Out of my head, If I remember correct, it was a midrange turbo X from late 2015, but that doesn't say something (beyond the fact that Turbo X is crap overall).
I don't touch their hardware myself for obvious reasons: I tell to the owner's son to do the upgrade / downgrades in front of my eyes. So he did and he roll back to that summer build and the audio "fixed" instantly with those 2 problems (Red CPU, wrong waveforms). But of course, he didn't do those tips you are telling me now, so I'll print your answer and show him, so to "fix" it.
They do care about audio quality but they won't buy / upgrade at this point of time (for obvious reasons that have to do with the economy situation in my country etc). So, it is up to Virtuald DJ (that they own legally)

For my personal tests and that other venue I frequently work, indeed I use 2 "ancient" laptops from Acer and Lenovo (pre 2013 models) and I also own a Hercules RMX2 (and that firewire Auron card that I use now only for testing). I noticed the same exact issues regarding audio quality (higher freq "screaming" on latest builds, CPU on red and waveforms are incorrect on previous ones). I'll test your tips on my hardware too. Thankfully, I'll visit that venue again in a month, so I have time to solve the issue if that caused by the xml file or the pitch quality.

edit: typo

Posted Wed 18 Jan 17 @ 11:21 am
BTW: Try to remove "settings.xml" even on the newest builds... In case an old setting carries over.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 17 @ 12:20 pm
And if you notice it on your home setup as well, please try to make a recording of both versions.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 17 @ 12:58 pm
OK, I'll do it.
Also Adion, how you suggest me to do this recording? There is no way I can capture the audio from the club with a CD audio recorder or something. Maybe using a second laptop or something?

BTW, I remember that there was a 8.0 version that mentioned it was mostly for RMX2 users. The changelog doesn't go that much back. Can someone tell me which version was that?

Posted Thu 19 Jan 17 @ 12:13 am
The easiest to start with is a recording from within virtualdj, then listen to both recordings to see if you can hear the difference.

Next would be to connect the output of your rmx to the line input of your pc and record the output that way. (Could also be done from within virtualdj by adding a 'record' input to the audio config and selecting your pc's soundcard)

Also check which samplerate you are currently using, and try if it makes a difference putting it to 44100 if it was not already.

Posted Thu 19 Jan 17 @ 6:11 am
I am using a Macbook Pro and last week really noticed the harshness of mids and treble and thought it must be my speakers. I never thought that it might be VDJ. Strange because it's only been recently that I've noticed. I'm going to revert back to a 'summer' version tonight and see if it is any different.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 8:45 am
djdad wrote :
I dont think anything is changed on the Sound Engine recently. Perhaps you could try to delete the settings.xml just in case i missed some new/modified setting.

For the waveform issue with previous builds, try setting the MaxPreloadLength to something like 20 (constant value in mins instead of "automatic")

I will try these 2 things out djdad and see if it does the trick,

once I do I'll tell you about the results.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:36 pm
Adion wrote :
Can you record a short part of the same song in each build where the quality difference can be heard?

Also, which samplerate is your device set to (as seen in Config->Audio) and what is the samplerate fo the files you are testing?

Hello Adion :-)

The Sample Rates are at 16 Bit, in Virtual DJ and in the Drivers of each Audio Interface, the exact same Sample Rates as the Audio Files that I use.
Although the differences in Sound Quality between Builds are Obvious, if you think it's necessary all do so.

In what Codec would you like the recordings and where would you like me to send theme at ?

E-Mail ? Forum ?

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:43 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
Could it be the limiter kicking in? I don't see many other people complaining about this, so just wondering what the common denominator might be.

Hello Andy :-)

I have No Problem with the Limiter, it hardly ever kicks in. No Issue with that.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:47 pm
Labrokratis wrote :
Finally, someone noticed the same thing!

I do gigs every second week on big clubs and around November I noticed that the sound from virtualdj wasn't so "rich" and the higher freq were "screaming". Later that month, even the owner of the venue told me that the sound wasn't good too, so some of my regular costumers. So I roll back to the 3390 build, the last build I used on my summer parties and I remember that the sound was perfect. The audio went back to what I used to remember and the same owner of the venue come and told me on my next gig on December the same thing!
I use a Hercules RMX 2 with windows 10, but I also tested the audio with an old semi-pro card from Terratec (Aureon Firewire) that works only on win xp on another laptop, with the same results.
But what I also noticed, is that rolling back to that summer build, on the same laptop, the CPU is now all the time overload and when I load a mkv / mp4 video, the soundwaves on the top of the screen, end before the track actually ends! With the latest builds that doesn't happened. But I used that 3390 build for about 2 months without issues, so what happened here?
The only thing that changed to that laptop, is that windows 10 upgraded to the latest version.

Anyway, audio quality is very important to me, because I work on some great clubs with great audio set ups and the owners even let me use the XLR connections so to have the needed audio quality boost. I forced to do a couple of gigs with that problematic soundwave issue (I bypass the CPU overload by setting track's loading on idle - The CPU still on red, but at least I don't have random freezes on audio during the night - My sets are usually 6-7 hour long)

Hello Labrokratis,

I've noticed the exact same Issues-Problems with the wave-forms and with the CPU overload when going back to builds 3398 & 3409,

although the Sound Quality is Fantastic with those previous builds, I can't mix with the Wave-Form Issue,

I've used the older builds when they first came out, they worked perfect, but now they don't !!!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:03 pm
SpBlackCat wrote :
Adion wrote :

The Sample Rates are at 16 Bit, in Virtual DJ and in the Drivers of each Audio Interface, the exact same Sample Rates as the Audio Files that I use.
Although the differences in Sound Quality between Builds are Obvious, if you think it's necessary all do so.

In what Codec would you like the recordings and where would you like me to send theme at ?

E-Mail ? Forum ?

16-bit is the bit-depth, samplerate would likely be either 44100 or 48000Hz.
Recording however you prefer, as long as it's the same for both versions and the quality difference can be heard.
If possible, put them on dropbox or similar and send me the links in a private message.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:07 pm
sidneysides wrote :
I am using a Macbook Pro and last week really noticed the harshness of mids and treble and thought it must be my speakers. I never thought that it might be VDJ. Strange because it's only been recently that I've noticed. I'm going to revert back to a 'summer' version tonight and see if it is any different.

Hello sidneysides,

I'm afraid it's not your speakers that are at fault but the Treble High & Mid Ranges from the latest builds.

You might encounter the same problems when rolling back to previous builds.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:53 pm
Adion wrote :
SpBlackCat wrote :
Adion wrote :

E-Mail ? Forum ?

16-bit is the bit-depth, samplerate would likely be either 44100 or 48000Hz.
Recording however you prefer, as long as it's the same for both versions and the quality difference can be heard.
If possible, put them on dropbox or similar and send me the links in a private message.

Sorry about the mistake Adion,

Sample Rate is 44100 Hz on Both Virtual DJ and Audio Interface Drivers.

Once I make the recordings I'll send them to you my friend.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 2:00 pm
10%