Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Denon MC7000 headphone split cue settings
idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Long time DJ, first time with a midi mixer/controller combo.

Can't figure out the split cue. While I've figured out how to get the cue audio going to one ear, I seem to get MASTER audio on both ears no matter where the cue/master fader is (although it changes from left to right ear)

I started with the default MC7000 audio settings, and the closest I got to making it work was selecting TWO SOUNDCARDS button AND the "DENON MC7000" button in settings>audio, and both master and headphones had "Out 1 & 2" selected.

I feel like such a n00b with this sort of question, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. In my mind this should work just like an old school manual mixer.

Using Windows 10 laptop, by the way.

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 2:22 am
The correct audio config is the one which you're given when pressing the "MC7000" button in the VDJ audio config (or which pops up when you start VDJ).

Master & headphones. Master on MC7000 1&2. Headphones on MC7000 3&4. There is also a recording input.

Notice from the VDJ setup guide, it says that the MC7000 Split button is "Independent Hardware operation, not controlling VirtualDJ Split Cue setting". This could mean that it's only possible to have split cue when using the mixer as a standalone device.

What does the MC7000 manual say about this? What does Denon says?

If it's a hardware control, I would doubt it works with Serato DJ either. Did you try?

Posted Sun 15 Jan 17 @ 12:42 pm
I can't find what I'm after in any of the manuals (VDJ or Denon).

So after playing around with the settings, I get it to work by testing it all at home. See the pic below....

Can anyone tell me if this is a terrible idea? It works.

With these settings, I can listen to one or any combination of the 4 decks in CUE, with any or all of the 4 channels going to the master output, adjustable by the fader on each channel.

It's just like a traditional analogue mixer now.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 10:36 am
GalawasPRO InfinityMember since 2013
There is also a headphone split setting in the VDJ8 options, see if that helps.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 4:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
It should be Master (chans 1,2) & Headphones (chans 3,4).
I dont see why you have to split the channels like that. Doesnt help the SPLIT Headphones issue, which btw i can verify there is one.

If for any reason you need to keep the above, keep in mind that you will not have Effects on Master (in case you need to use one), nor Post-fader effects... there may be other issues too.. cant think of any at the moment.

Will try to find out more from Denon about the SPLIT functionality and let you know.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 4:41 pm
GalawasPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Oh yea, make sure you have the right volume turned up for the headphones, that knob directly under the "phones" is the split, turn that all the way up and all you will get is master. The knob above the "split" button is the level, max that and turn the split knob all the way to a-clockwise see if that rectifies. Headphone gain was also a bit low for me, you can adjust that in the options, I set mine to 10, a bit deaf. Hope that helped.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 4:51 pm
djdad wrote :
It should be Master (chans 1,2) & Headphones (chans 3,4).
I dont see why you have to split the channels like that. Doesn't help the SPLIT Headphones issue, which btw i can verify there is one.

Any other configuration means I have MASTER audio coming through one or other or both ears, no matter what setting I use.

EXCEPT I haven't tried the split cue setting in the configuration, however as the documentation says the controller split cue doesn't talk to VDJ, I'm confident that will make little difference if any.

Are you saying there IS a split cue bug?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 7:04 am
idj4u wrote :

Yes and already emailed Denon about it

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 7:23 am
djdad wrote :
idj4u wrote :

Yes and already emailed Denon about it

Thanks! Thought I was going nuts or that the NEW tech couldn't do what the old tech did for decades. Thanks for your input!

Nick

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 8:59 am
I thought there might have been a fix/update for this by now from Denon, but nothing obvious has been announced.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 7:50 am

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 8:41 pm
Unfortunately, there is not going to be a fix for this. I have tried to explain with 2-3 emails, but Denon seems to have a different opinion about this.

This is the last email i received ...

Denon : I double, and triple checked the Split functionality myself this morning. I found it to be working as expected in both Serato, and Virtual DJ. I have added my comments in Green below.

Test #1 : CUE MIX knob on CUE
Deck 1 PFL enabled.
Left side of Headphones I get Deck 1 (Correct)
Right side of Headphones I get nothing (should provide Master Out)
Denon : Expected: When the PHONES MIX knob is set to CUE 100% (Left), you will only hear the CUE mix on the left and nothing on the right. In order to hear the MASTER output on the right simply, turn the PHONES MIX knob back towards center.

Test #2: CUE MIX knob on MIX
Deck 1 PFL enabled
Left side of Headphones I get nothing (should provide Deck 1)
Right side of Headphones I get Master Out (Correct)
Denon : Expected: When the PHONES MIX knob is set to MASTER 100% (Right), you will only hear the MASTER mix on the right and nothing on the left. In order to hear the CUE output on the left simply, turn the PHONES MIX knob back towards center.

You can hear both the CUE in the left and the Master in the right if you put the PHONES MIX in the center position.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 17 @ 12:11 am
I can understand what they're saying. I suppose it's a consequence of having a 'cue mix' knob.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 17 @ 6:12 pm
stevoqxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have no problem in the settings. Can this help?

Posted Tue 14 Mar 17 @ 9:06 pm
I've not used my controller since initial testing, figured I'd wait til Denon fixed this BUG (Yes, Denon, I said bug).

I was getting MASTER in my PFL ear.

I need to set this all up again and then if it's still wrong, I'll also email Denon as should a few of us.

Posted Thu 16 Mar 17 @ 10:00 am
i notice that you are using asio drivers according to someone at vdj they do not support denon & indeed my dnmc 6000 will only work correctly on the wasapi drivers however my pioneer ddj-sz is the other way round

Posted Mon 28 Oct 19 @ 3:30 pm
I am getting this exact problem. When I have split off and phones set to Cue only (turned to left), I expect to hear the Cue in both ears, but instead only hear it in left (which is what I would expect if I had Split turned on along with the Master in my right). Tried all combinations of settings, but this doesn't work like any other controller I have used and it's very distracting not being able to get a clean full Cue in the headphones

Posted Fri 17 Jul 20 @ 5:29 pm
SMAODJPRO InfinityMember since 2021
Sounds to me you need to switch „Split Cue“ to off? The button below the phones volume knob.

Bit old, but maybe someone is still interested.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 22 @ 3:33 pm