Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: MP3 recording quality still 'hissy'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

boczorControlleristMember since 2010
I've been mentioning this for years now it seems, and it still hasn't been fixed. Being a DJ software, you'd think the highest amount of emphasis would be on the recording quality.

I'm not trying to diss, I still think it's the best DJ software out there.

But can u guys plzzzzz put emphasis on this in your next update. To see what i'm saying, just use an MP3 you have on your computer somewhere...a MP3 file that's in perfect quality. Then try to record the same file over again while using the VirtualDJ record button. The quality for the most part stays intact (which is good), but there's a distinct 'hiss' sound added. Which is not good.

I know there's option for WAV and all that. but recording from MP3 file to MP3 file...shouldn't result in a degrade like this.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 4:37 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
So if you record to wav you don't get this hiss?
Did you try to put the recordQuality option to high?

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 8:47 am
I would be curious to see the audio config.. maybe he is outputting analog to the internal sound card and the hiss comes that way?

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 10:14 am
boczor wrote :
I've been mentioning this for years now it seems, and it still hasn't been fixed.

I think if it was a genuine problem with the software, all the other millions of users would be complaining too - but they're not.

boczor wrote :
a MP3 file that's in perfect quality.

No such thing. An MP3 file is compressed. It's a compromised version of the original. No MP3 is perfect.

boczor wrote :
recording from MP3 file to MP3 file...shouldn't result in a degrade like this

Actually it should, and it always will. As stated earlier, an MP3 is compressed. To play it, it has to be uncompressed. Recording that already compromised file to a compressed format again will lower the quality further. That can't be avoided. It's how MP3 compression works.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 5:51 pm
The only time I have ever had any hiss on a track that I have recorded is when I have recorded and have had a microphone connected on a "line-in". This has been when I have been recording in audacity though and recording via a soundcraft mixing desk. Maybe he has a microphone connected on a line in? The hiss was induced in my case because i had the fx return channel open at the time. But maybe a mic connected to his mixer is inducing the hiss? or something connected on RCA's to the aux

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 6:03 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
groovindj wrote :
an MP3 is compressed. .... Recording that already compromised file to a compressed format again will lower the quality further. That can't be avoided. It's how MP3 compression works.

Interesting.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 6:04 pm
If you start with good quality files and record at a high bit rate, the losses won't be huge, but it's inevitable. MP3 compression strips stuff out.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 6:18 pm
Re-recording MP3 files is like continually photocopying a photocopy. Eventually the document becomes unreadable.

Personally I use the WAV recorder in VDJ then a separate MP3 codec to convert if required.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 6:31 pm
It will not degrade in the form of 'hiss' though. Anyway, we'll have to know more details before we can find out what the problem is.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 17 @ 11:36 pm
1) where to set RecordQuality option to High? (been looking for this for 5 minutes)

2) I attached my config options in one of the screenshots attached. One poster mentioned I could have Mic set to Input , maybe that's issue ? If so, how to fix? This was all default though, I never switched off anything from when it was first installed...so if it set Mic as the default record option , it was something not done by me.

3) last thing I think it could be, is maybe how I recorded it. I attached another image for that. I only used the left recorder...and kept the crossfader in the middle at 50%...maybe I should of slid it all the way to the left?

hopefully 1 or more of these were the issue. I appreciate the help, sorry if it seems noobish..I only use this product sporadically.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 9:03 am
type record in search box in options and you will find it like in this image

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 10:19 am
Having the mic selected in the audio config should not affect quality, unless of course the mic is enabled all the time (check the master panel on the skin for that)
In that case you could be recording noise from the microphone.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 10:45 am
thanks, but should I of had the CrossFader all the way to the left when recording, since I was only recording the left one? or shouldn't matter either way?

surprised that Recording Quality option is so hidden. maybe should make it easier for others to see, in future update. I never knew about it.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 17 @ 3:36 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
boczor wrote :
thanks, but should I of had the CrossFader all the way to the left when recording, since I was only recording the left one? or shouldn't matter either way?

Depending on your crossfader curve, I would say.
If it is set to "smooth" having the crossfader all to the left would result in a slightly louder signal which could be better for your recording.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 17 @ 10:40 am
SerinePRO InfinityMember since 2013
Could you post a short (60 secs) snippet of recording featuring some silence and some parts of a song where this effect can be heard?

Posted Mon 09 Jan 17 @ 9:07 pm
So, if you are only using one player, are you using automix or just recording one song at a time? Is there a time when recording is still on and there is no signal going to the recorder?

Posted Wed 11 Jan 17 @ 7:30 pm
everything was mostly fixed when finding that hidden Recording Option thing and setting it to the best quality. By default it is not like that.

future updates should force it to high quality for everyone. who wants medium recording these days ? not me.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 17 @ 2:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)