Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: MC Advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm happy to have this topic freely posted on. I have no skill with MCing and quite frankly, I don't want to and feel I would be terrible at it. Advice, comments on the subject, personal experiences would be very helpful.

Posted Sun 25 Dec 16 @ 8:42 pm
What do you mean by MCing? Basic talking over the mic at private parties as a mobile DJ, or do you mean rapping?

Posted Sun 25 Dec 16 @ 9:47 pm
Well, not rapping. Talking over the mic sort of stuff. Commentary might be a good way to describe it?

Posted Sun 25 Dec 16 @ 10:49 pm
It really depends on where you're DJing as to whether you need to use the mic.

Clubs where you're there to play music & keep the dance floor going, you probably wouldn't need to use the mic.

General parties as a mobile DJ, it's more likely to be needed. Weddings certainly.

What makes you think you have no skill and would be terrible? You do interact with people in your daily life, right? Are you confident talking to someone new, face to face?

Posted Sun 25 Dec 16 @ 11:36 pm
I'm not sure why I feel I would be bad at it. Maybe just interjecting at the right times, what to say, etc. I plan on being a mobile DJ, so it could be applicable to me.

Events I've done in the past, I have never really picked up the mic. Things such as introduction, last song, etc I have not done. That could also raise the question of sample vs MC.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 12:43 am
Do what I do pay a big mouth friend 50 bucks to be MC. I use my bigmouth cousin.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 3:29 am
Hahaha. That's actually not a bad idea. Then you'd also have someone to help carry/setup/tear-down stuff!

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 5:06 pm
djeddie1216 wrote :
Hahaha. That's actually not a bad idea. Then you'd also have someone to help carry/setup/tear-down stuff!

Exactly!!! But make sure he can use his big mouth professionally. Proper speech. The first big mouth cousin I tried was great for hood clubs but the first corporate event was his last. The cousin Ive used since then is great in any setting from Liquor house to full tux, blacktie events

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 5:09 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
djeddie1216 wrote :

Exactly!!! But make sure he can use his big mouth professionally. Proper speech. The first big mouth cousin I tried was great for hood clubs but the first corporate event was his last. The cousin Ive used since then is great in any setting from Liquor house to full tux, blacktie events

That is some very good advice. I wouldn't want to get someone who couldn't act and look professional when the event needed that.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 5:16 pm
Well maybe having someone else do it for a while will allow you to pick up a few tips and gain some confidence. It's really not that hard.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 6:05 pm
groovindj wrote :
Well maybe having someone else do it for a while will allow you to pick up a few tips and gain some confidence. It's really not that hard.

That is also a good point. Thank you to both of you!

Posted Mon 26 Dec 16 @ 8:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)