Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Mac video playback still an issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This past weekend I had to play a video montage through VDJ which, as myself and many other people have previously reported, played the audio fine but the video was choppy. Since I knew this was an issue I played tested the video before the party and didn't notice anything. After playing audio for 2 hours I played the video file and almost immediately, the choppy video began. Forget that I had a client screaming and cursing at me that I was f*^king up their party, but how is "professional" VJ software unable to play a video? To me that should be the number 1 priority to get fixed. That would be the same if Hotmail's email didn't work, that's your whole value proposition - get it together!!!

I know you do a great job at fixing bugs, I don't understand why this is still an issue. I was using build 3471 on a MPB 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 video card. I would go back to VDJ 8.1 but the Mac full screen issue was a huge problem for me which was corrected in 8.2.

Is there was way to patch quick time video through VDJ? I know its just a simple media player, but it plays video as intended...

Please advise what I should do.

Posted Mon 28 Nov 16 @ 2:11 pm
What type of video was it, codec or container, length of the video, need more details. Any fxs playing, were you using the sampler to play the video or was it on a deck??

I use a 2012 retina MacBook and have yet to get this choppy video. All I do is video and on top of VDJ running I usually have Resolume or MadMapper running with live camera feeds and qtz files running all with my laptop online.

Posted Mon 28 Nov 16 @ 4:28 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
What type of video was it, codec or container, length of the video, need more details. Any fxs playing, were you using the sampler to play the video or was it on a deck??

MPEG-4 video used in a deck. File is 9.5 minutes @ 720p. File size is 520 MB. No fx being used, wifi turned off, no other programs running.

I tested again this morning, no issues. Restarting VDJ in the middle of a party is not an option, however I wouldn't think that VDJ being open for a few hours should have such a detrimental impact.

Posted Mon 28 Nov 16 @ 4:40 pm
Unless your machine was getting to hot??

Do you have SMC Fancontrol on your machine?? If not I'd download that and run your fans at full speed when playing videos.

Posted Mon 28 Nov 16 @ 7:30 pm
Thanks, ill give that a shot. I have never had issues with an overheating machine (especially with a brand new MBP), but ill definitely try everything at this point.

Do any teamers have suggestions? I have seen may people post about this same issue over the past month or 2. Is anything being done to rectify?

Posted Tue 29 Nov 16 @ 4:13 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Perhaps worth sharing a problematic file so we can try and replicate :)

Posted Tue 29 Nov 16 @ 5:21 pm

Posted Tue 29 Nov 16 @ 7:38 pm
Hi Scott,

Any luck replicating the video freeze issue on a mac?

Thanks!

Posted Mon 05 Dec 16 @ 4:50 pm
To follow up: I downloaded a temperature/ fan control. My mac does not get hotter than 60°c, if it does the fan will kick on as expected to bring it below 60. Reading some forums, Temps in the 50s is normal so I don't think my mac is overheating.

I have not had any video gigs the past few weeks but did play a video in the internal video output window a few hours into a gig to see if it freezes, which is does not.

Is it possible the freezing video is happening to due to the external tvs being connected? Maybe some issue with the different resolutions on my mac and the tvs? I'm also connecting from my mac to a 4 way hdmi splitter. When I do have issues with the video, I see the freezing within the VDJ preview and output thumbnail screens as well, so I don't think it's the external monitors, but looking at every possibility.

Anyone have any thoughts? ...Please!!!

Thanks

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 11:15 pm
bump

Posted Mon 19 Dec 16 @ 7:21 pm
Still having the same video issues, any update on a fix?!?!

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 12:42 pm
usually when someone makes a Video Montage for themselves (customers), I noticed how LARGE the file is considering it's only less than 10 minutes long.

I don't know how they encode it or what program they use.

Sometimes when I check the properties of the file, the resolution is so high (4k res). They think that it's going to be better output even if the pics are all low res (phone camera).

This is what I usually do when I get the file.

I give it a test run and if it gives me problem, I convert it using a video converter (http://www.videotovideo.org/). It has a portable version so no need to install the program.

It's quick and it works.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 1:51 pm
Thanks for sharing. However last week the client gave it to me in SD 480, I had to ask them to export it again in 720. I do think too high of a res is my issue, as least not all the time.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 8:57 pm
Hey Buddy,

I just listed the same problem you are having. My video slide shows freeze, and i save them in various forms. 1080p, 720, 10:9 ratio you name it. I just sent you a PM. Let me know if you or anyone has any luck w this on going problem. I am also using MBP i7

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 6:24 pm
Hi - I had the same issue with MP4 and I just disabled DXVA in video settings and all was fine again.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 17 @ 9:54 am
Sidney, did you ever make a slide show or montage and have the video problem we are having?

Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 @ 8:02 am
Hi - no it was with music video but it was ONLY with anything MP4 - SD / HD, didn't really matter. I just thought as your video is MP4 it may be the same issue. Once I disabled the setting it was all fine and I didn't notice any change in quality at all.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 @ 9:38 am
Forgot to say, I use a Macbook Pro with Retina (2014)

Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 @ 9:40 am
Download smc fan control for Mac It will allow you to monitor and if need be increase your fan speed My Mac will get so hot when playing videos it will shut the machine down With the fan speed turned up I can do a 4 hour show with no issues

I believe your Mac has two fans one for the CPU and one for the video Smc will allow you to monitor both temps and control both fans
Hope this helps

Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 @ 10:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)