Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Computer Freezing When Using VirtualDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

adz10ControlleristMember since 2006
Hi all, I have spent the last week and a half trying to figure this out and simply can't, so I decided to post here to see if anyone has experienced the same issues or has advice.

I have a brand new Surface Pro 4, i7 processor, 16gb ram, top of the range, I have no issues with it ever, I can work on it all day and night without a problem, until I start using VDJ when it just freezes randomly. It might be 5 minutes into a performance or 3 hours in, its random. The music will continue playing through the speakers, I am using a Hercules RMX2 controller as the sound card, I can even still control the music with the controller (using the volume sliders, etc), but the screen is just frozen, can't move the mouse or use the keyboard, nothing. I have to hold down the power button and restart the computer to get going again. This is obviously a nightmare when I am performing live.

Any ideas? I really need to get this sorted as its now the busiest time of the year for me.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:07 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Does it freeze without the controller connected?

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:16 am
PachN wrote :
Does it freeze without the controller connected?

I have not tested that yet, but that is a good point, I will perhaps leave it overnight tonight on autoplay to test. If it does would you have any recommendations on what to do?

thanks!

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:23 am
Most of the time it is the controller or controller's driver that causes problems.
Make sure you set the "selective USB suspending" to deactivated.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/what-does-usb-selective-suspend-mean/71fa747b-914f-4d17-b476-cf4bb1bb783c

There are various instrucrions to optimise a PC for DJing Software. You can find them easily with Google or here on the Wiki.
There even is a tool to optimize your PC.

http://virtualdj.com/forums/192988/addons/PC_Optimizer.html
You can try that too.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:33 am

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:46 am
Its in the advanced power options i think, with windows 10 just type power options at the bottom and it will bring it up. I changed mine to that setting last night funnily enough, think thats where it was because i was configuring all the other options to speed laptop up. It brings up an expandable list tree which you have to open the USB settings and then its in there, you have the option for battery power and mains power.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 @ 11:59 am
to update, none of this worked. I tried changing every setting possible and it still crashes. I am guessing its a problem between the Hercules RMX2 and the Surface Pro 4.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 16 @ 4:32 pm
adz10 wrote :
5 minutes into a performance

when I am performing live.

its now the busiest time of the year for me.

Please note that Controller licenses are for home use only. If you're "busy" and "performing live" then you need a full Pro license or a Pro subscription.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 16 @ 4:45 pm
groovindj wrote :
adz10 wrote :
5 minutes into a performance

when I am performing live.

its now the busiest time of the year for me.

Please note that Controller licenses are for home use only. If you're "busy" and "performing live" then you need a full Pro license or a Pro subscription.

yes, live as in broadcasting, this is covered in a controller license?

Posted Sun 20 Nov 16 @ 5:01 pm
adz10 wrote :
Hi all, I have spent the last week and a half trying to figure this out and simply can't, so I decided to post here to see if anyone has experienced the same issues or has advice.

I have a brand new Surface Pro 4, i7 processor, 16gb ram, top of the range, I have no issues with it ever, I can work on it all day and night without a problem, until I start using VDJ when it just freezes randomly. It might be 5 minutes into a performance or 3 hours in, its random. The music will continue playing through the speakers, I am using a Hercules RMX2 controller as the sound card, I can even still control the music with the controller (using the volume sliders, etc), but the screen is just frozen, can't move the mouse or use the keyboard, nothing. I have to hold down the power button and restart the computer to get going again. This is obviously a nightmare when I am performing live.

Any ideas? I really need to get this sorted as its now the busiest time of the year for me.

Anyone else having or had this problem?

Posted Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 11:42 pm

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 1:46 am

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 10:52 am
So you tried VDJ without the controller and it's still crashing?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 11:08 am

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 11:11 am
wmortizPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I been having the same problem with or without the controller , I have the pro pay version. Never happen till one of the updates.

Posted Thu 09 Feb 17 @ 1:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)