Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to nudge a song slightly?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there, is there any way to nudge a playing track by, say, 10 miliseconds forwards or backwards? Or whatever is deemed to be the basic "nudge" unit?

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 12:14 am
Push or pull the platter/record??

Or just press the nudge buttons....

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 2:34 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
RTFM, configuring vdj - script- instead of starting a thread and asking other people to spoonfeed you. This is simple information you can discover for yourself by reading.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 6:18 am
locodog wrote :
RTFM, configuring vdj - script- instead of starting a thread and asking other people to spoonfeed you. This is simple information you can discover for yourself by reading.

Listen. You said on another thread that you would never speak to me again. I don't know you, I've not remarked on it but let me now say: I don't know why you felt that way, but l was grateful when you said you'd stop it forever. Please honour this pledge unless you've actually decided to speak dispassionately again. I'm only here to exchange strings of tech information with people.

Btw scripting solutions are not in the manual, and the word "nudge" certainly isn't in the manual (if you read the manual as you like to shout out, you'd see that). Also sometimes all people need is a pointer to which part of the manual. Also, l personally wouldn't care if somebody asked me something that l knew, but was also in the manual. I would just tell them anyway, and also if l knew where in the manual the root of it all was, l'd mention that also, for other people to read. That's because l'd be happy to help (knowing that sometimes, people don't know, don't know how to know, or just don't have a whole lot of time) and also happy to help other random people finding this webpage. If your idea of a forum is a place to shout "RTFM" at people then you're wrong. Please leave it at that.

the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Push or pull the platter/record??

Or just press the nudge buttons....

Hi there, yep of course l always have the chance to do it manually, but l don't yet have a "cool hand" on the decks. I was hoping for a pair of nudge buttons giving me a +10ms / -10ms jump, i.e. something l can depend on, as opposed to manual nudge. However, l may even need this to support my manual nudges (when l want to correct a beatmatch via nudge, l'd hope to get it right pronto, so if it takes manual nudge + nudge buttons to get it done fast, so be it).

I like the idea of a nudge because it's a jump, you know, it can sound a little bit cleaner than a smooth seek (= manual nudge), and as l mentioned, it's more predictable as l don't have a cool hand yet.

As for the nudge buttons ... where?

If you mean the pitch buttons, well, l guess that's much like manual nudge. Still though ... it would require pitch re-adjustment once l find a good peak match, which would then scupper the original nudge.

I think l may just alter the behaviour of the seek buttons on my American Audio VMS5.

Can anybody offer info on how to code a +10ms (millisecond) nudge?

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 9:52 pm
nudge -10ms
nudge +10ms

put either of those on a button or keyboard key will get the job done pretty simple really.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 10:48 pm
Thanks

Posted Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 11:06 pm
I can verify that "nudge +10ms" works

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 1:36 am
Bro its a nudge!!! How hard can it be to push/pull the platter?? Seriously??

As for the buttons, this is gonna depend on your controller.

As for this "cool hand" that just means maybe you need to practice a little more instead of scripting?

Nudge is part of the basic's.........

This might seem harsh but what are you gonna do when you come to my club and play on our equipment?? We don't allow outside controllers, you get your choice of either CDJ's or turntables with a Pioneer SP1 and a Pioneer DJM.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 3:14 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Bro its a nudge!!! How hard can it be to push/pull the platter?? Seriously??

As for the buttons, this is gonna depend on your controller.

As for this "cool hand" that just means maybe you need to practice a little more instead of scripting?

Nudge is part of the basic's.........

This might seem harsh but what are you gonna do when you come to my club and play on our equipment?? We don't allow outside controllers, you get your choice of either CDJ's or turntables with a Pioneer SP1 and a Pioneer DJM.

Please don't derail. Be objective and on-topic.

The problem was solved so l don't know why you're continuing with vague hints let alone talking about non-existent nudge buttons on my controller (if l had them, l would use them).

Also, this isn't a discussion about whether you like nudge or why have nudge at all. For the latter you might like to ask the software creators to delete nudge from the list of commands. Good luck.

Oh while you're at it, you might want to ask the software creators to delete all their files and close the site down forthwith, and recruit them to persuade all other computer DJ businesses to do the same, because in your club, you don't allow it. In fact we may as well all go back to clomping coconut halves together whenever there's a total eclipse. And then a heretic suggests a jaw harp made of cat sinew and the whole "progressive" thing starts again, you just can't win can you.

EDIT: I see the noble motivation in what you're saying, that we need to keep the art alive. FYI, l would love to be a scratch DJ, and l aim to be one (in fact l clearly implied that l'd like to get past nudge level one day, but even then l might still need nudge to save time), but here, l'm talking about "nudge" nothing more nothing less.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 3:52 am
Just to clarify things, you can use your laptop at the club.

You just can not bring in a controller.

So you can use timecodes with the tables or use the cdjs in mode.........

Not sure where you got we don't allow laptops from??

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 11:36 am
Ah sorry dude l misunderstood. Still though, l wanted nudge, for whatever reason.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:04 pm
Heres what I've done, I've copy and pasted the entire verb section of the wiki into notepad so I can pull this list up no matter where or what or if I'm offline.

You could do that with any info you find in the wiki.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:28 pm
I don't know why you're telling me this.

For starters, the verb section wasn't immediately obviously there, l found no links to it.

Secondly, l didn't know nudge existed, to look up nudge.

Thirdly, this topic has been solved. What do you want? Why are you still commenting?

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:43 pm
Bro smoke a joint and chill out.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:46 pm
Well anyway ... l've only got 1 more question. Then l'm done, peace :)

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:51 pm
User found solution. Topic closed

Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)