Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: What's the best controller to use with Virtual DJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I couple of days ago, I downloaded a demo of Virtual DJ. Overall I have to say I am very impressed. It has some amazing features and as a product I find it very forward thinking. My current setup is:

iMac (El Capitan) 2.66GHz i5/16GB RAM/4TB hard drive - While it's an older model is STILL is a great desktop
Numark NS7 III (I have not upgraded the display firmware and the displays seem to be working)
Traktor S8 (Doesn't currently work with VDJ 8.2)

While I give lots of props to whoever created the mapping, it's only about 85% of the way there. When I use things the CUE/PFL button on the controller, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. The FX seem to be deck driven in that if I hit the A or B button, nothing seems to happen. Effects only work when I hit the FX1 button but only for that deck. These are small things but they take away from the overall experience.

So, now to my question. Is there any controller that works with Virtual DJ in a bulletproof way? Meaning all the buttons work in the way they should.In addition, if there are any controllers that take advantage of all of the functionality of the awesome program?

I am primarily a Traktor user but I have also used Serato and Rekordbox DJ. Honestly I think if I could find something that just worked (and reasonably priced), I would switch.

All opinions are appreciated.

Cheers!

DJ Roubo

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 3:36 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Depends on the gear, my controller isn't natively supported by vdj [S4 mk1] but it is fully mapped by myself [excluding 3 buttons that are traktor specific and NHL] And I can tell you it isn't just bullet proof, it's bomb proof, encased in kryponite. :-)
If you're looking for full control of vdj [I mean everything] then you really need to be looking for a combination of HW, I have my S4 and a launchpad2, I'm thinking about 2 midi twisters [or making something like them] and I've got everything I need [until I upgrade my pc so I can run TC on my '12s]
but given the open nature of vdj [allows vst's, upto 99 decks etc] you'll never have 100%

Out of the box there are many controllers natively supported that work just fine, the denon mcx8000 seems popular at the moment.
but with vdj your gear is yours to map exactly how you want, custom is king. Spend the time to reap the rewards.

Your other option is build your own hardware with a PLC, [not for the the feint of heart (or the shallow pocketed), and if you can choose HID not midi] that way you can build/write your own HW/FW/Def file/mapping, and when a component mechanically fails, you know exactly how to fix/upgrade it without servicing charges.

Although the problems you are having with the NS73 can probably be solved reasonably easily [I know there is a different system for the fx than I use but I cant find that information, [HW guide links to the NV]
Maybe staff can point you in the right direction.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 4:32 am
Hi DJ Roubo,

I'm fairly pleased with my American Audio VMS5 (it comes with a VirtualDJ serial code which can get you a tiny discount off VDJ upgrades).
Downside: l cannot select between more than the first 2 parameter dials for a given FX. Would like to access all dials available, and this should be possible because you press a button to move on to the next parameter dial, and the dial (hardware) above the button (hardware) alters the setting on the newly selected parameter dial. Yet it mysteriously stops at the 2nd dial (software), no further dials are selectable (most FX seem to have on average 3 dials). I am not sure if that's actually a Virtual DJ software problem or an issue with the American Audio VMS5.

Also it has been said that the pitch adjuster slider for each deck is a bit short, but then again, it's nice that the extra space has been given to the large jog wheels.

I'm no expert on DJ controllers. My only other DJ controllers were the Hercules DJ Mark 1 controller, which l used with Virtual DJ LE, way back around 2007, 2008. Pretty good actually but not worth much now! Also, the American Audio 19MXR (see below).

Anyway, l like the VMS5 chiefly because of the 4-channel soundcard + mixer capability, that's why l bought it - it was the cheapest l could get for that spec. Sadly the 2 mic inputs seem to be forced through 2 of those channels if you ever decide to use 2 mics, i.e. there's no separate mixer strip for the 2 mics, unlike on the American Audio 19MXR.

By the way, the 19MXR is a good mixer too, but you get the usual issues with quality control - i.e. the mixer is actually slightly wobbly, but this is solved with a piece of paper under the offending corner. Of course, the 19MXR doesn't have wheels. I bought it because of the 4-channel soundcard - l believe it's the cheapest you'll get for the spec.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 8:13 am
multiple edits .. please remove this post?

I made a big edit to my post with additional stuff but kept pressing the quote button instead of edit button - l'm unfamiliar with the forum sorry.

Let me just quickly sneak in my edits:

The VMS5 is actually deliberately set to be able to control only 2 FX parameters per deck, on Virtual DJ, because there can be issues if you can scroll between 3 or more parameters and the FX has actually only 2 parameters. Also, l said that personally, l don't mind this because when you think about it, you're actually putting FX onto the main output of a DAW (i.e. someone's finished song), and you don't want to be messing around with delays and flangers at that stage. Of course it's nice when you can isolate a synth riff and apply FX.

I also said l'm really happy with the 19MXR too, despite the wobbly leg on my unit. I've had it for a few years now, only light use but am happy. Overall: 9/10.

Same goes for my rinky dink Hercules DJ Mark 1 controller. Quite pleased but of course it doesn't give you 2 x stereo outs if you ever want to use it as an actual soundcard. Instead you'd have to pan main and headphones separately from a stereo pair, and the individual decks certainly don't have individual outs. Overall: 8/10.

Only had approx. 15 hours the VMS5 but for now l'd say 8.5/10 and will probably stay with that vote.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 6:24 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
after 20mins posts can't be edited.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 6:30 pm
locodog - I have an S4 Mk1 in storage. I quite like it. I have the S8 now but honestly I really miss the jog wheels. The S8 is currently not supported but I think there would be some cool things that you could program in.

original nutter - I will take a look at the VMS5 in more detail. It certainly meets the cost parameters.

UPDATE: I woke in the middle of the night and decide to loot the VDJ options again. I noticed there was an "All Settings" parameter. This really helped fixed a bunch of small things that were driving me crazy. I think the only thing I haven't figured out is how to get the A/B FX selector to work. Although they do make it very easy to select fx each side.

As I said earlier, I am really enjoying the capability VDJ 8.2. There is some very cool things going on. Next up - trying to get VST's working on the Mac.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 7:16 pm
Cool, l'm sure there are many controllers that you would want, but l can only speak for the ones l've used. Tbh they all look good these days with the coloured LEDs etc.

I just wanted 4 channel soundcard capability so that l could take on other music sources into the mix, whether by USB or by audio lead from another USB mixer.

My strategy: buy as cheap as possible, minding reviews of course, then depending how good l turn out to be, and also bearing in mind what l will be able to take into a DJ Booth if l'm doing it professionally, l will buy more expensive gear priced upper mid-range to high.

Btw l like that you can get cheap £30-£50 MIDI controllers (e.g. the discontinued CMD DV-1) to delegate part of the DJ software's functions to, so a DJ controller needn't have everything all in one box. Not sure what will be compatible with your version of Virtual DJ though, there may be restrictions on the free and LE versions.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 16 @ 6:25 pm
I bought my VMS 4.1 and with it came with an LE license which brought the price down to 150 dollars, total investment was about 600 dollars. It's been a super controller but my failing health has brought me to where I'm mostly playlist minding as I now can only do online all request shows and pre-recorded bits of shows done in the past. This is working for me just fine. Did an all request server fed and chatroom led show last night that has my good shoulder achey but a great time was had by all.

My issue is when I do not use the VMS 4.1 I use a Berhinger UMC202HD mic interface and some time in the last 6 months the mic interface has gone offline, making it impossible to intro tunes or do tipped shoutouts to people. I"m not sure what the issue is, but if anyone can shed some light on this please help.

-TinkerToyTech

Posted Sun 06 Nov 16 @ 7:30 pm
Pick a set-up you like and feel comfortable with, then ask again. Chances are someone's using it with VDJ and can give you feedback, then buy it. I have used VDJ with 1200s, with SL-DZ1200 (CD Turtables), and now with Numark V7s/Numark M6 USB mixer. Going from one set up to another is simple. I also use the V7s in either one or two V7 configurations.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 16 @ 3:01 pm
Hi quick update, and l know your likely not looking for a 19MXR in any case, but for anyone else reading this l have to correct myself: l mentioned the 19MXR earlier, but forgot that although it's a 4 channel USB mixer, the soundcard (i.e. via ASIO) will only give you 2 outputs to the mixer. The other 2 mixer channels must be had by audio cables. Plus the 2 mic channels of course.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 16 @ 6:47 am
UPDATE - I currently have modified the basic Numark NS7 III configuration to my liking. The DVS is working great. Overall functionality seems to relatively close to the native setup in Serato DJ. That said, i would love to see a natively built controller that takes full advantage of VDJ.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 16 @ 7:48 pm
Just got a Pioneer DDJ RR for Christmas. Love the unit but after 3 days messing around and it is still rubbish when hooked up with Rekordbox as it crashes and sounds terrible. Have tried all the downloads and online support but still rubbish. It works and sounds much better with Virtual DJ but I can't access half the features so unless someone can suggest an idiots guide to mapping it, I will return the DDJ RR and look at something else, possibly the Denon MC6000 or Numark NV2. Any suggestions are welcome.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 7:21 pm
I really like Virtual DJ but I would still love to see a dedicated controller for it. While most of the functionality of the Numark NS7 III is available it still isn't quite bulletproof.

I swapped out my Traktor S8 for a Pioneer DDJ-SX2 primarily to use it with Rekordbox DJ. My biggest problem is that it routine skips a half beat which is unacceptable. I have only tried the SX2 with VDJ once so I don't yet have an opinion.

Good luck in your search.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 7:27 pm
In my experience the SX2 works really well with VDJ.

As for a "dedicated controller" well is that really necessary, considering just how many controllers are natively supported?

Plus VDJ is so versatile and so customisable that really no single controller could ever do it justice.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 8:10 pm
Whatever fits your workflow, go to the music store and play around on everything. They will probably have serato if they are connected, but that dont matter just get the feel you like and dive in.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 11:20 pm
fremdjPRO InfinityMember since 2004
AnarchistDJ wrote :
Just got a Pioneer DDJ RR for Christmas. Love the unit but after 3 days messing around and it is still rubbish when hooked up with Rekordbox as it crashes and sounds terrible. Have tried all the downloads and online support but still rubbish. It works and sounds much better with Virtual DJ but I can't access half the features so unless someone can suggest an idiots guide to mapping it, I will return the DDJ RR and look at something else, possibly the Denon MC6000 or Numark NV2. Any suggestions are welcome.

hi, I'm about to buy a pionner DDJ RR from a friend of mine at a reasonable price. Does anyone have experience with this controller? Do you think it's worth it ? thanks for the comments

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 1:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)