Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: first time setting up a digital rig, need help - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

BokzerPRO InfinityMember since 2016
I've been a dj for 15 years & soley used cds, FINALLY decided to go digital & Bought Pioneer Cdj 800 mk2s & also picked up a Steinberg Ur 22 mk2 (Yamaha) audio interface... using a Dell Inspiron 1545 as my pc. & running the newest edition of Vdj. no matter what i do i cannot get it to work. if anyone has any info that would help it would greatly appreciated, my cdjs are collecting dust & id rather use em!

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 5:23 am
I don't think the CDJ800 are MIDI or HID enabled, are they?

If not you have to use timecode CD's and let the soundcard send the timecodes into VDJ

This means that your soundcard needs 2 stereo inputs and 2 stereo outputs. And (just looking at pictures) I'm not sure the Steinberg Ur 22 mk2 has that

If I'm right you either need to change the CDJs to something that can send MIDI or HID directly using USB, and is supported by VDJ (like CDJ-850s).
Or you need a sound card with 2 stereo ins and 2 stereo outs (like the Denon DJ DS1) and a mixer
Or a mixer with built-in soundcard (the cheapest option is probably the Akai Pro AMX)

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 6:58 am
i did burn timecode cds & the interface is a 2x2 usb 2.0 interface

2x D-PRE & 192 kHz support
has 2 line outputs
2 midi ports (in & out)

forgot to add that my mixer is a Behringer Dx626 (3 channel)

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 7:08 am
Ok. I don't think I've seen that type of soundcard used
- Is the soundcard visible in VDJ, so you can choose it?
- If so: Are you seing any visible input on the timecode screen?

Like it is shown here from 4:00
https://youtu.be/F1MQjoiWZww?t=240

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 7:39 am
i will try it again 2moro night as its been over a week since the last time i tried & i have forgot..

i only got that interface because it was the only 2x2 they had, the guy wasnt a dj but a musician so he didnt really know.
i could switch to a different program that would work with them, but then it wouldnt be as good & i would lose the music service that i also paid for
plus i have always loved vdj.

i really should bring my cdjs home & hammer this out!

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 7:59 am
As far as I know, that soundcard has 2 mono ins & 2 mono outs.
These can be used as 1 stereo bus, wich you need to connect (the timecoded signal needs stereo to work).
So my guess is, that you can only connect 1 cdj on it.
If you want a soundcard for 2 timecoded signals, you will need 4 mono inputs & 4 mono outputs, like the maya44 for example.

For testing purpose, you could connect 1 cdj with timecode to the mixer using the soundcard & use the other cdj traditionally

for more info
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/settings/audiosetup/timecode.html

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 8:10 am
sweet never saw that page! makes everything easier
but wouldn't my set up be with an external mixer?

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 8:54 am
and im gonna go back to the place where i got the steinberg & see if they will allow me to trade it in for a Presonus AudioBox 44vsl (cant find the maya44 anywhere local)

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 8:57 am
Bokzer wrote :
sweet never saw that page! makes everything easier
but wouldn't my set up be with an external mixer?

yes, your cdj's will be connected to the 4 mono inputs of the soundcard.
your outputs 1-2 will go to input 1 on the mixer, output 3-4 fromt the soundcard goes to channel 2 on the mixer.
Only thing not working will be the crossfader inside VDJ since your mixer isn't usb..

So in the setup of VDJ, you select in the output section EXTERNAL MIXER
As card you would select your external soundcard.
In the input section you would need to select timecode.

Then in the timecode tab on the left, you can setup your signal etc.
Not sure IF you will be using your souncard for other things but this one seems to be more for producing then dj'ing.
On the other hand, I haven't looked into the newer cards as my audio6 does a great job

Just saw the picture again in the manual, only thing diffrent for you would be that the turntable get's replaced by a 2nd cdj

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 9:08 am
Also, make sure you download & burn the correct timecode cd..
You would need the pro grade sound level one

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 9:17 am
i did grab the pro level so i did one thing right :-P

& im just about to head to the store to swap out my interface, so heres hoping i can use them tonight

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 8:34 pm
so went to exchange the interface got the steinberg ur44 then he asks about what im using it for & what my set up is. he tells me that for $45 a month i could rent an Allen Heath 2 channel mixer that is usb & can run speakers off it... i was like where was this info 3 months ago! only thing was that it was at their other location, took me an hour to get there & only just got home! now off to work to try get this crap working

ill let ya know how it goes!

Posted Fri 21 Oct 16 @ 1:04 am
good luck, the mixer should show up in vdj as your souncard. The rest of the setting up should be pretty easy.
just connect the cdj's to the mixer

Posted Fri 21 Oct 16 @ 1:27 am
even after updating the mixer nothing showed up! running newest vdj (win 10) will have to spend sometime 2moro during the day & try to figure it out

anyone one have any ideas?

Posted Sat 22 Oct 16 @ 3:40 am
What mixer exactly are we talking about?
Did you install the driver off it & check the device manager to see if it's installed correctly?

Posted Sat 22 Oct 16 @ 7:11 am
Mixer is an Allen & Heath Xone-23C
i downloaded the drivers right from the website

Posted Sat 22 Oct 16 @ 10:14 pm
Does the mixer show up in the device panel in your windows?
If so, go to virtual dj config page & select INTERNAL SOUNDCARD.
then on the outputs & inputs, you should be able to see the mixers soundcard & set it up from there

Posted Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 7:57 am
ok im at the point now where i get music in the headphones but not controlled via the cdjs. they cant do shit other than play the timecode beep.
(Mixer issue fixed)

Posted Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 7:47 pm
I'm pretty busy this week but I was reading in the mixer manual & there's something about the routing of the mixer in there.
Can you check if you get the audio on the fx send/return?
Think you had to open up the mixer & put a jumper in to change the routing.

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP9433_ISSUE_3_XONE_23C_USER_GUIDE.pdf

Page 19 is what I'm talking about alltough it does say for dvs & not for line lvl audio.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 16 @ 6:40 am
A screenshot of your virtual dj settings might be helpfull also

Posted Mon 24 Oct 16 @ 6:56 am
53%