Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Songs crackling since update

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am on the latest build which updated this morning to B3432. I was using VDJ last night before the update and all fine. This morning since the update, every song is crackling really bad, like its being played on a really old record player. Thought it was connections to start with but they all play fine through itunes and have tried various inputs through desk and everything else is fine. I am on windows 10. I use an external soundcard, a creative soundblaster SBX. This runs into a soundcraft signature mixer and then out to two yamaha dxr 12 speakers. though I dont think any of this is the problem as itunes plays fine and so does everything else. Anyone got any ideas? even samples play crackled

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 11:53 am
Just to add, if i play through the laptop speakers i dont have the issue.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 11:57 am
OK, i have solved the problem, but might help someone else. I had the option checked which lets VDJ take complete control of the soundcard. I have now unchecked this setting and its playing fine. Odd though.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 12:00 pm
The trials and tribulations of using a cheap domestic consumer grade interface rather than one designed for low latency DJ use.

:-)

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 12:34 pm
groovindj wrote :
The trials and tribulations of using a cheap domestic consumer grade interface rather than one designed for low latency DJ use.

:-)

That sounds a little barbed that comment, but are you saying that I should get a better soundcard?

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 1:17 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Note that when exclusiveAudioAccess is set to no and the WASAPI card is being used in shared mode, the latency is fixed by windows.
If exclusiveAudioAccess is set to yes, the latency will depend on the latency setting. In case you get crackles it is likely that this setting was set too low.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 2:02 pm
Ah, thanks adion, I will have a look what the setting is. Much more helpful.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 2:35 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
are you saying that I should get a better soundcard?

An audio interface (soundcards are internal) that's designed for the use you're putting it to, yes.

How are you managing to cue (or output separate decks) at the moment?

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 2:50 pm
An audio interface (soundcards are internal) that's designed for the use you're putting it to, yes.

How are you managing to cue (or output separate decks) at the moment?

[/quote]

OK, I'll have a look at getting a better interface. At the minute I output via the usb sound blaster, and then take the left and right channel from that into one channel of the mixing desk. I don't output each deck separately into a different channel on the mixer. I don't see the need to either at this point. Though I'm only just starting out and still have a lot to learn.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 3:02 pm
OK so main out is via the Soundbast**d (which is what I assumed) - but how do you cue? Where's your secondary (headphones) output coming from?

If it's the laptop output then that's another good reason to get a proper DJ interface. Using two separate (and different) audio interfaces is generally not a good idea. Different drivers (affecting latency), different hardware (affecting quality, freq response), possibly different levels, etc. etc.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 3:27 pm
groovindj wrote :
OK so main out is via the Soundbast**d (which is what I assumed) - but how do you cue? Where's your secondary (headphones) output coming from?

If it's the laptop output then that's another good reason to get a proper DJ interface. Using two separate (and different) audio interfaces is generally not a good idea. Different drivers (affecting latency), different hardware (affecting quality, freq response), possibly different levels, etc. etc.

Yeah I put my headphones into the laptop headphone jack. I then have the audio setup in Vdj of "two soundcards" There is a headphone jack on the sound blaster that I could use instead though.

What interface would you recommend?

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 4:01 pm
Andy, you don't need to quote the entire message when it's immediately above yours and it's obvious who you're replying to. :-)

The SB may have a headphone out, but it's not a separate channel. It will only duplicate what's coming out of the main left/right output.

If you want something basic, the Numark DJIO 2 or the NI Traktor Audio 2 are good starter interfaces. For slightly more cash, you could get yourself a mini mixer with audio onboard - Traktor Kontrol Z1, Akai AMX, Reloop Mixtour. Then you could control VDJ as well as have an audio interface.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 4:57 pm
OK sorry, still figuring this out too. Appreciate your advice. I'll look into those.

Posted Sun 09 Oct 16 @ 6:27 pm
Ok, so after a lot of deliberation and research I have just bought the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen) audio interface. I already have a Mixtrack 3 to control VDJ and a 10 channel soundcraft mixing desk, so i only need the audio interface aspect. Having looked at lots of the DJ interfaces, I found that whilst most of them offer zero latency, most of them don't have great audio resolution. The DJio for instance only has 44khz. Was difficult to find one that offered low latency and high resolution. Though this one claims the lowest latency for any usb audio interface, and boosts 192khz resolution Hopefully this will do the trick. I have mostly FLAC tracks, though do still have some 320 mp3's. Just wondering now whether i should use the automatice setting in the saple rate setting of virtual dj, and whether this will then alter the sample rate depending upon the track?

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 9:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Unless you or your audience are not human there's no real need for samplerates higher than 44khz
Except for a handful of albums there's also no music that is produced at higher samplerates so it will not bring any increase in quality, just use more processing power.
It's indeed best to leave vdj samplerate automatic

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 10:10 am
Ok fair enough, thanks for the advice.

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 10:20 am
Wlander5PRO SubscriberMember since 2016
Hi I have just updated to 8.2 - use a Numark IDJ 3 controller. when i have this as my sound card it will crackle but if i change it to ASIO drives it dont but i dont have headphone control via the controller. Have tried it as master Asio and Headphones IDJ3 but still dont work. Any suggestions ?

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 2:06 pm
Wlander5, please do not hijack other people's threads. Also please do not post the same thing in more than one forum area.

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 5:40 pm
djmilaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I had the same problem . ( new laptop with numark NV )
old notebook all ready
solution - setting - performance-pitchquality-2 ( zero with wasapi = problems )

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 5:58 pm
DGKOOLDControlleristMember since 2014
Please help me with a serious problem, after upgrade my vdj to B3432, nothing work. When uploading tracks, freezing after. I am asking why vdj have to change from old to new B aer giving so much problem to users. My wndows it 8.1 my controller is Numark NVI. I notice that this is not the first time each time ugrading B there is an issue.
Hope someone will find or help mefix that.
Thks in advance.

Posted Mon 10 Oct 16 @ 6:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)