Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Sync is NOT syncing 99% of my music - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Been going on for a year now. Pioneer ddj-sz, I have one song playiing, I press sync for the other deck and its off beat. I should NOT EVER have to edit every single song in my 2 terabyte library to get sync to work. I can load up Serato DJ, and well what do you know! It syncs. Anyone have issues like this? Again, I should not have to edit every single beat grid in vd 8.2

Posted Fri 30 Sep 16 @ 6:54 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Most of my beat grids are pretty spot on. Do you have some examples of bad beat grids?

Posted Fri 30 Sep 16 @ 7:17 pm
@burnyabad:
Sometimes it can be, that the first beat is not set to the 1 in a bar, rather on 2. So it is just a simple click to set the right 1.
Please see the difference between an incorrect Beat Grid and an incorrect 1.

But I have a question:
About what kind of music do we talk ?

Posted Fri 30 Sep 16 @ 7:57 pm
I play top 40, Hip Hop, old school. Rock. I play in clubs that cater to most genres. I do not play EDM music, so my music bpms are always changing.

thank you

Posted Fri 30 Sep 16 @ 8:13 pm
burnyabad wrote :
my music bpms are always changing.

Well then sync is not for you. You'll just have to mix manually, like a "real DJ" :-)

Sync relies on the beat grid, but the beat grid is a fixed (tempo) thing - unless you get your hands dirty and go in manually to add extra anchors at every tempo variation.

Tedious in the extreme, but that's the way it is. I'd love VDJ to be smart enough to analyse variable tempos and apply the necessary itself, but it can't.

I'd love VDJ to be the first DJ software to warp tracks (see Ableton Live) and "straighten out" the tempo to match a fixed grid. Maybe one day (year, decade).

Posted Fri 30 Sep 16 @ 9:36 pm
burnyabad wrote :
I play top 40, Hip Hop, old school. Rock. I play in clubs that cater to most genres. I do not play EDM music, so my music bpms are always changing.

But Serato beatgrids are initially detected in a similar fashion - around a fixed bpm. So if sync works 100% of the time in Serato then either you've corrected the beatgrids, or the grid doesn't change.

As I requested before some actual (specific) examples would be nice so we can do some testing, otherwise there isn't really anything we can do.

Posted Sat 01 Oct 16 @ 12:11 am
I have been djing for 10 years, and I can mix manually, but I also have a very busy bar and I am doing 20 things at once most nights. OK, I don't know what else to tell you other than, If i am playing a track and I drop the next song on the deck and then sync, the beat grids are off. It's 9 times out of 10 that I have to just go back to manually mixing my music. Serato lines by beat grid up properly MOST times. Virtual DJ does not.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 2:18 am
Let me tell you what I do. I have a custom button set to mark FIRST BEAT in my tracks. If I see that the beat grid seems off, I use my platter and cue it right where I say the first beat is and then I have a custom button set to mark FIRST BEAT and it works very easy. I never use sync at all but still, i want my beat grid perfect. Try that. It saves so you wont have to do it on the same track all the time

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 2:47 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As said before, a couple of example song pairs would be useful.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 5:18 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
quick fade in and outs. or sample the last 20 seconds and slowing bring up new track. just make sure they are around the same bpm. traktor has a tempo sync and a beat sync. vdj has in the advanced settings something like this. but get a controller that has 4 decks. so you can load you tracks before hand. if people wanted to mix like the olden days the wouldnt be using software. or use dvs which works great with vdj if your more comfy with real vinyl

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 8:21 am
burnyabad wrote :
If i am playing a track and I drop the next song on the deck and then sync, the beat grids are off.

Just to talk about the same way to sync: You are syncing after starting the second track ?

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 7:36 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It's nice to have the grids in phase but I just match bpm on load and phase by nudging.

Playing triphop to speedcore the [calculated] first beat can be wrong, with triphop sometimes it gets the phasing wrong [grid lines up with swung beats] rock is a different kettle of fish

I'd love to just get the tempo right with this one

Posted Mon 03 Oct 16 @ 7:57 pm
LOL you will NEVER completely beat grid perfectly a recording from a live band. Humans can not maintain an exact steady beat.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 1:51 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Certainly not '70s Dutch rockers.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 2:52 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
you need to make sure sync is ON before the transition. omg :) like fashing or orange glow

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 7:16 am
burnyabad wrote :
If i am playing a track and I drop the next song on the deck and then sync, the beat grids are off. It's 9 times out of 10 that I have to just go back to manually mixing my music. Serato lines by beat grid up properly MOST times. Virtual DJ does not.

I find generally most of mine are correct, however this may be down to the style of music and the edits used - hence the repeated requests for precise examples by both Adion and myself ;)

Again without this information there is nothing we can do!

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 12:44 pm
I know you want examples, guys it's the majority of my mp4's and mp3's. New, older, doesnt matter. Doesnt matter what source I am receiving them from, they do not sync, it's off, the beat is off, I have to nudge each track, or que point the 1st beat every time and beat mix from there.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 2:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If it's the majority of your songs, why do you not want to give even a few examples?

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 3:34 pm
because im lying and trying to cause trouble...

Anyways. I'll make it simple as I can. ANY SONG I load in this 2nd deck and press sync using the sync button WILL NOT sync this song. There.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 3:45 pm
ANY SONG, ANY ANY ANY SONG. The Virtual DJ sync is fubar with my music library. I stated in my 1st comment that I have to manually edit each songs beat grid, everytime. Now, I am a busy DJ, I am an MC, lights, taking request, calling out birthdays, calling shot specials, and packing at dance floor 8 hours a night. Not 4 or 5: 8 hours. I love Virtual DJ's stability and it's video performance. I need my sync to work. I simply need a breather from time to time to drop track, press my $2200.00 CONTROLLER + sync button and it work,. It worked near flawlesly in VDJ 7, and it as close to that with Serato DJ.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 16 @ 3:46 pm
29%