Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Playlist bug that has cought me out a few times. Finally figured it out ....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK, please let me explain how this works:

You have a saved (m3u) playlist populated with songs.
Create a shortcut to the playlist in the automix side area
Have the option "savePlaylist" set to yes
Change or remove some files in the side view

The modified playlist then overwrites the saved one without prompting.

I thought that option was to preserve the view for automix, sidelist and karaoke, but it is modifying playlist shortcuts too. Should this be the case as a saved playlist shouldn't be automatically overwritten without at least a prompt?

I have created playlists then found them completely wiped and I now realise that removing the files from the sidelist view causes this.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 2:06 pm
I think you have to manually save it by giving it a name, then whatever is in the list at the time you saved it (with a name) is then fixed until you over write it and manually save it again. I hope that's what you meant

Ignore that as i realised I'm talking out my **** , you're talking about m3u which indeed does get overwritten which is why I no longer use it as I now use virtual folders instead

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 2:29 pm
Can one of the team please respond and advise if this behaviour is by design or indeed is a bug.

The more I think about it I believe shortcuts to playlists shouldn't allow the actual saved playlist to be changed and overwritten without notification.

Thanks.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 8:51 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Makes sense to be that way. I mean the Clone Shortcut is exactly the same "folder"/playlist as you have it on the folders list. Whatever you are doing on that Clone, it affects the playlist/folder itself. Its like modifying your Playlist, same as if you had the Playlist selected in the Folders list, its tracks in the Songs list and then select tracks and remove. It would remove and auto-save your Playlist.

Note. If you check on the description of the "SavePlaylist" setting, you will realize that its not related to your "issue". This setting is to save whatever you have in the Sideview views across sessions, but has nothing to do with auto-saving or not the Playlists when modified.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 16 @ 4:49 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
To be clear:
The sideview is the entire area on the right.
It includes a couple of default lists: sidelist, automix and karaoke.
These are saved on exit based on the savePlaylist option, or can be saved with a custom name when using the option button and selecting save...

You can also open other lists or folders in there by dragging and optionally create fixed shortcuts for them.
These lists are direct representations of the folder or playlist itself (you can see their name as title) and any changes you do to them are saved instantly, just as in the browser part.

If you just want to use a playlist as base for the night and modify it without changing the original, right click the playlist you want in the browser and select 'load to automix' or 'load to sidelist'
In this case the contents of the playlist are copied over to the automix or sidelist, keeping your original untouched (unless you explicitly use the 'save' option and overwrite the original one)

Posted Tue 14 Jun 16 @ 6:51 am
Hey guys,

Thanks for clearing it up, I fully understand how it all works now.

Keith

Posted Tue 14 Jun 16 @ 10:11 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Even after reading the description of the "savePlaylist" setting I was confused whether it affects the playlist or not.

My suggestion is to rename "savePlaylist" to either "saveSidelist" or "saveSideview".

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 10:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)