Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Switching to a new computer - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Any pointers to switching to a new laptop.

in the past I have lost a lot of TAG info. & BPM info when I have switched.

I copied the VirtualDJ Database v6 file over to the new computer.

But am I missing something. it just doesn't seem to get all the music file data correct.

Please advise.

Thanks

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 8:34 pm
Not brilliant here Jay, but if I was switching lappys, I would copy the entire Virtual DJ folder, and paste it into the new lappy. Just sayin.:)

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 8:52 pm
Also my question, what is the best way to copy a VDJ8 on a MBPro to a windows 10 VDJ without losing data.

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 8:36 am
Move all your files within VDJ to an external drive and then when you plug it into the new machine everything should be there as long as you use VDJ to move your files around.

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 11:36 am

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 11:48 am
ok. I can read the faq. But it says: copy the music files to exact the same location... so that does not work between MBP and windows.
So I was wondering, what is the best way to do this....

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 6:10 pm

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 6:36 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Move all your files within VDJ to an external drive and then when you plug it into the new machine everything should be there as long as you use VDJ to move your files around.

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 7:31 pm
Thank You..

Posted Tue 24 May 16 @ 8:35 pm
GetBigPRO SubscriberMember since 2013
Hello fellow DJ's,
I'm switching from a pc to a macbook pro and I have the pro subscription. What do I need to do to move my account to my new laptop?

Posted Tue 24 May 16 @ 9:34 pm

Posted Tue 24 May 16 @ 10:54 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
getbig wrote :
Hello fellow DJ's,
I'm switching from a pc to a macbook pro and I have the pro subscription. What do I need to do to move my account to my new laptop?

Nothing. Just install VDJ and log in with your Forum account details.

Posted Wed 25 May 16 @ 1:36 pm
I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my six year old Toshiba. Any pc suggestions?

Posted Mon 30 May 16 @ 3:14 am
I'd suggest using a Macbook Pro, since they are very stable laptops (you can use a desktop if you want, the only issue is that you have to keep disconnecting/connecting it :)), or go for an HP Envy laptop (depends on your version)

Posted Mon 30 May 16 @ 6:07 pm
I used a desktop for years, and love it. My first laptop was an ASUS ROG. I've had it for 18 months, and love it. I have run my unit 8 hours on a regular basis, and it does not even get warm, and I only do video. The guys that I know that have MBP, and do video, all complain about the heat. Most have coolers under them.

Posted Mon 30 May 16 @ 8:58 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
+1 on Asus ROG laptops.
Their cooling system doesn't depend on airflow underneath it; intake in the front, exhaust and heat-sinks in back keeps ME cool and allows me to put the lappy down on a solid or padded surface without worrying about airflow.
I can't live without backlit keyboard anymore.
Of course they generally have beefy video cards and decent screens too, since they are made for gaming... Especially good if you do video.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 16 @ 4:12 pm
Macbooks overheat badly. I used to have the 17" one and you could fry an egg on it by the end of the night. Some friends have newer 15" Macbooks and constantly complain about then getting hot which won't do the hardware any good over time.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro in tablet mode on a stand so the vents are unrestricted. Runs as cool as a cucumber. Video card is Intel on-board graphics 4400 but it works well enough with VDJ and the HDMI output runs all night with no issues.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 16 @ 4:20 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
+1 Asus Rog

Have one (G55) and used it for years with videos and couldnt be more satisfied.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 16 @ 5:33 pm
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I was skeptical about going to a MAC as all my music was set up for PC. I ended up getting an Asus Rog.

Posted Thu 09 Jun 16 @ 12:12 am
Hi i tried to search but could not get correct answer. I am moving ALL my music from my laptops internal hard drive to an external drive. How do i get the saved playlists to work ? they are all red crossed? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 11:40 am
95%