Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Re-Setting Cue or move a Cue Point

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

CadDogPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi everyone,
I'm still playing and testing VDJ 8 before using it live.

Is it me or did re-setting cue on VDJ 8 just got harder?

VDJ 7
--- Set a cue by selecting the Hot Cue. Simple
--- Re-set cue by moving the wave display to new location and then selecting CUE.
This takes a couple of seconds to do.

Deleting Cue
--- On the Waveform display for currently song. Just simply right clit and select delete.
This takes a second to do.

VDJ 8
--- Set a cue by selecting the Hot Cue. Simple
--- Re-set cue by opening the POI Editor. Using > >| isn't simple and I can't see (at this time) being able to quickly move a cue around in a live event.

Deteting a cue by opening the POI Editor and using the trash can symbol. OK, somewhat simple.

Let me know if there is a better way to re-set cue on the fly without needing to use my VDJ 7.

However, let me know if there's a new way I'm just missing or understanding.
Yes, this Dog can learn new tricks... lol

Thanks all...

Posted Mon 02 May 16 @ 3:05 pm
Right clicking the cue point deletes it for me but I guess this is gonna depend on what skin your using.

Posted Mon 02 May 16 @ 3:29 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
In addition, on some skins (including mine) you must hold the rightclick for some time to delete, while a short click brings the 'goto_cue' behavior.

Knowing that, to move a cue, you simply go to the new position moving the waveform, hold a rightclick to delete the previous cue, then reclick the given cue to set it at the new pos. Simple, and no need to go in the POI editor.

Posted Mon 02 May 16 @ 3:35 pm
Wow, Guys that was fast, thanks.

I will try that.

I didn't know these types of actions depended on the skin used....

Posted Mon 02 May 16 @ 4:00 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Most of the skins have nicely documented tooltips. Tooltips depend on the skin. So feel free to activate it and hover every button to get familiar with any skin.

Posted Mon 02 May 16 @ 4:17 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Right clicking the cue point deletes it for me but I guess this is gonna depend on what skin your using.

Ya, that was easier then VDJ 7... :)

Thanks again to you both...

Posted Tue 03 May 16 @ 7:36 pm
What skins do you guys use? I have tooltips on and nothing in my CB Graphics skin is showing any way to delete by holding down the right click on the cue point number button. Doesn't matter anyways because I'd prefer to not have to delete to reassign at all. Good to know my most used functionality is now garbage.. Why cant people just keep simple working stuff the way it is? [EDIT] I found a way to delete and reassign quickly with my controller, at least...I'd still rather find a quick way with the mouse without losing my skin, though... Reassigning without deleting is absolutely faster, it seriously annoys me that they decided to slow down workflow and add all this POI garbage without giving people an option to opt out and keep their simple interface.

Also, is mono channel in audio output options just gone? If it is, I'm done caring about or working with 8. Half the time I do rough draft mixing, I do it quietly on headphones--left cup master, right cup headphone. I cant find a way to make that happen in this version. [EDIT] I see in the dropdown you can do channel 1 mono and channel 2 mono...but I'd like to do channels 3 and 4 (mixtrack pro headphone jack) mono.

Thanks for killing my interest in your new stuff, Atomix. Just give me the updated sound quality and compatibility, offer features as an OPTION, and stop messing with the things I use CONSTANTLY that had NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM. Thanks... VDJ7 for me.

Edited for profanity. If you continue to use foul language on this forum, I will level your post instead of editing them, thank you. AMAHM

Posted Wed 14 Mar 18 @ 10:35 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You don't need to delete a cue to set it, mono is still possible on any channel.

If you ask questions you'll get the info you want and a better response than you'll get by throwing your toys out of the pram.

Posted Thu 15 Mar 18 @ 6:11 am
How can I move it then?

My main question: Why do version upgrades need to fix stuff that isn't broken?

Posted Thu 22 Mar 18 @ 4:28 pm
In your opinion. Tens of thousands of others would disagree.

Good luck getting a response with an attitude like that.

Posted Thu 22 Mar 18 @ 5:27 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
In your opinion. Tens of thousands of others would disagree.

Good luck getting a response with an attitude like that.

I really don't care at this point...VDJ7 works fine. Frustrated user who was rolling the dice on finding answers for a product I paid for, if people want to get butthurt over my tone and hoard their answer like it matters, good for them. Not trying to butter anyone up, sorry.

Posted Fri 23 Mar 18 @ 2:01 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Sorry for jumping late here...
geometrics wrote :
.... I'd prefer to not have to delete to reassign at all.

Even though there may be some custom skins that offer what you want (right-click to set instead of delete), you may dont want to stick to a certain skin just for this functionality and may want to have this functionality to your controller (in case it has Pads too). Therefore, i have created a quick modification of the default Hotcues Pad page for you, so that you can choose what the Right-click (or SHIFT+Pad on your controller) will do, by changing a parameter in the menu.
Here is the link to download it.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/64pdt3diec3risb/hotcues.xml?dl=0 (if others are interested too, i could upload it to the Addons page)
Put the file to /Documents/VirtualDJ/Pads folder and then open VirtualDJ and select the Hotcues Pad page
Click on the right-side menu button to get this...

Note : the same Pad page will be offered and working the same way, in all Custom (ver 8) Skins that offer Pads section, and as mentioned above, it will also offer the same functionality with controllers that support Pads.

geometrics wrote :
....Also, is mono channel in audio output options just gone? If it is, I'm done caring about or working with 8. Half the time I do rough draft mixing, I do it quietly on headphones--left cup master, right cup headphone. ...

Mono is still available, as you found already, but i have a much better option for you, available only in version 8 ;)
There is a setting in VirtualDJ Options named as SplitHeadphones that does what you want exactly, without having to change your Audio settings.
You can map a Custom Button as .. setting 'Splitheadphones' and have it handy whenever you want it.

Regarding your other question...
geometrics wrote :
My main question: Why do version upgrades need to fix stuff that isn't broken?

Its not a matter of breaking or fixing anything. In version 7, the 3 Hotcue buttons on the default GUI, were indeed offering set cue as right-cllick action and not delete. However, with that approach, you could not delete a hotcue if you wanted. With the ver 8 approach (and the one that use all hardware and other DJ software too), you cna have both set and delete , yes setting on the fly requires 2 steps now, but at least you can now have both ways

Hope the above help you to understand that VirtualDJ 8 is more powerful with way lot more options and features than version 7, and all you need to do is ask and shall receive :)

Posted Fri 23 Mar 18 @ 3:35 am
Thank you for taking the time to address everything, I appreciate your help and assistance.

I should've been more clear, sorry. I figured out how to delete and reassign pretty quickly with the controller at this point, but when I do my editing before actual mixing I mostly use the mouse... Most often when I move a cue point, I press the Hot Cue# I want, then go where I want to move to and press the cue button and bam it moves, or I right click on the cue point line in the sound map and delete it, then reassign. The first one with the Hot Cue I use relentlessly. Is there something similar to that workflow in VDJ8, and is there at least a skin that still has that feature? My CB Graphix is failing to perform the same way. The headphones mode is a huge help, thank you! If I assign the custom button to 1 deck it will update the cups to master/headphone for both decks?

Kudos for your help even after all of my bitching!

Posted Fri 23 Mar 18 @ 4:15 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I am afraid there cant be any custom skin that can offer what you describe, as this is an internal feature (right-click on Cue points on the wave) and in version 8, it offers the POI Editor for more advanced options. BTW, didn't know or at least cant remember this ver 7 feature. Excuse my ignorance, it's been many years since i last used version 7 :)

But since you use mouse, its still a click/right-click but at a different area (in case you use the Pads page above), and pretty sure you regularly do this while preparing your tracks at home and not live, so not a matter of any delay, but more a matter of convenience. So just a matter of getting used to it. I understand that changes are hard for everyone. But think it as if you got yourself a new car (and much better one). You will need some time to get used to it ;)

Speaking of setting a Hotcue on the fly, you could even use keyboard shortcuts, where by default CTRL+1 to CTRL+9 set Hotcues 1 to 9.

For Headphones Split, its a global action/mode and when enabled, VDJ sends Master Output to one side of Headphones and the Decks that have PFL enabled to the other side. So for the "Decks" side, you just have to toggle the PFL button on the mixer and select which one you want to pre-listen along with Master.

Posted Fri 23 Mar 18 @ 4:30 am
I understand your points... I'd opened a ticket and got the same response, that the cue point button functionality is not that way anymore. The right click of a hot Cue works to delete on default, just not on my beloved skin. I find POI to be far too time consuming and redundant...I wish it was just incorporated into the top sound table instead of opening yet another window to work in without beat marks (perhaps I just don't know it well enough), and I'm sure I'd get faster as I get used to things but the time I save with that cue button feature is immense. I will just stick to setting up my cue points in VDJ7 and do the rest in VDJ8, seems like a good approach. Is the sound quality of recording and Mixtrack Pro driver any better with 8? Are there any reasons to prefer 8 to 7 for mixing other than functionality changes (quality, performance)?

Thanks again for taking the time to sift through my hissy-fit... Its likely that there are tons of users who love 8 because they didn't use the hell out of a feature that barely anyone knows about or remembers.

Posted Fri 23 Mar 18 @ 9:16 pm
geometrics wrote :
my beloved skin

What skin is it? You mentioned cbgraphix (that's a forum member, not a skin) but there are lots of skins by cbgraphix.

Posted Sat 24 Mar 18 @ 5:01 pm
CB Graphix - TRACE 2.0 Pro

Posted Sat 24 Mar 18 @ 6:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)