Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Camera....at last a solution!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I hope this post will help others who may in the future come up against the same problems I've had. As some of you know I have been trying to get an external web cam to work in VDJ8 from a Macbook pro. The first problem I had was finding out how to get the video to show on a second screen. No problems a number said, just click on the master video screen in VDJ and it shows the number of monitors connected. However what they don't tell you is this only works if you are using the default skin which I wasn't and no matter how much i clicked it nothing showed. So that's the first problem sorted!
Next I couldn't find how to select my external camera. All i kept getting was the Macbooks internal camera which shows up as Facetime. I enquired direct to VDJ who told me to select camera in effects - visualisations and then to the right of camera click on the little setting wheel and then move the "slider" but i had no slider. This slider turns out to be a "KNOB" which when rotated will then find any other camera attached. This Knob called camera has a scale of 0-100%???? No idea what that has to do with anything but to me this KNOB should be renamed CAMSELECT or something similar and the scale be changed to say 1 -2 if 2 cams connected or 1-3 and so on for more. None of this is written in any guides by the way!
So now we move on to the next problem! I could move the knob and select my Logitech c920 Camera but no image! All works fine with Facetime camera and also the pocket cam/iphone camera, all good images just not as good as the c920 which i had purchased for the purpose. This camera works perfect in the mac in all other programs, facetime Photo booth etc just no image in VDJ even though the "KNOB" says it's there! So i asked VDJ direct if they could help. No they couldn't and suggested the problem was my camera. I therefore asked them if they could therefore advise of a webcam that worked with VDJ8 and a Mac. They could not or would not was the reply!! (WTF?!!!!) Did they not test with an external CAM?
Anyway moving on i wasn't going to let this beat me so i spent hours on the net trying to find a solution and last night BINGO!! I came across a You Tube video by a young guy who had been trying to get his Logitech camera working in some totally non related software. I was only half listening to the video when i heard him say "Blank screen, No image" Hang on that's my problem too! What he did despite having the very latest version of Quicktime player as i do was to download Quicktime 7 and it now he had an image! So i thought what the Hell I'll try it. I had to download and buy the PRO version (£22) but then after opening the camera in Quicktime 7 i now get the camera working with good image in VDJ8!!!!....SORTED!!
So to summarize:-
Selecting a second monitor only works if you use the default skin
The camera select slider is a KNOB not a slider and should be renamed and described in more detail in the guide
And VDJ8 will only recognise an external Logitech camera(maybe others as well??) if you have Quicktime 7 installed on your MAC
So i hope the above may help others from waisting loads of time as i have but at least I'm now very happy with what i have and look forward to hopefully now trying VDJ8 live instead of my trusty 7!!

Finally a note to MODS!!!.....those of you who got a bit arsy (WTF?!!) with me for posting the same questions in different forums!!...I did that because not everyone reads all the forums so therefore I asked the questions in the forums that i thought would cover the broadest range of people who may have the answers, Hence Tech VDJ8, Video and General discussion etc. I won't apologise for that and will do it again if required to get to the bottom of a problem when VDJ hadn't got a clue!!
We spend a lot of money on this product and simply want it to work to the best of it's abilities!
So no more from me on the subject, which i'm sure will please some! ;-)

Posted Tue 22 Dec 15 @ 10:54 pm
Just a note:
The reason we ask people not to post the same question on several forums is in order for "us" and the rest users of the forum to be able to follow the topic better and provide better responces.
More or less it's the same users that visit all the forums so you won't really get a different audience if you post on several different forums.
However the answers you'll get and your replies will be scatered on a lot different topics and this will make things harder to follow.
For instace on topic1 a user has an idea that another user allready proposed on topic3 but he doesn't know it becuase he hasn't read that topic yet and so he proposes again. At the same time at topic2 you post that you found a solution, but still users that have read your other topics don't know that yet...
As you can understand this can go very easy out of control.
Finally something else that you should consider is that another user 6 months later is using search to find an answer on a similar or identical issue. He has 1/numoftopics chances to find the right topic that may contain the answer to his problem.
These are the ONLY reasons we don't want users to open multiple threads on different forums for the same issue.

As for the rest of your post, I can't comment as I don't speak English natively and I don't know the real difference between a "slider" and a "knob" or a "pot". More or less they are the same for me. Nor I use MAC's in order to have the technical knowledge to assist or comment on the rest of your issues.
However: The fact that your camera does not work properly on another application as well should make you more sceptical about it. It might be VirtualDj's fault, but it could also be Logitech's in which case you can't blame VirtualDj stuff if they don't know that since it's impossible to test all cams in the market.
After all (especially on Windows) Logitech has a very bad reputation on how it's webcam drivers can mess entirely a system!

As a last word:
We are really happy that you found a solution to your issue and we really appreciate your feedback.
Thank you!

Posted Wed 23 Dec 15 @ 1:35 pm
Slider/fader = straight line potentiometer.
Knob/rotary = circular potentiometer.

Left = Slider. Right = Knob

Posted Wed 23 Dec 15 @ 6:38 pm
Hi

Found this helpful but I'm still getting black screen?

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 9:07 pm
It would have been better for you to start your own new thread and give details of your setup, rather than dig up an old one and provide no info.

PC? Mac? VDJ version? Camera make and model? Operating system?

Posted Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 9:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)