Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8.1 crashes after notebook returns from sleep

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

krn3kiPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I've been having the same problem since Virtual DJ 8 was released. Sometimes, not always though, when I put notebook (ASUS N76Vz @ Windows 8.1 and Windows 10) to sleep and then wake it up, Virtual DJ 8.1 will crash, but without any error message. I just get non responding message and then I can just close it. That's really irritating since I do that a lot. Are there any workarounds or ideas to solve this out?

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 11:09 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I do that a lot too.
Not had a single issue relating the sleep mode.

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 11:24 am
I sometimes face this issue also, it crashes on my windows 10 after sleep. Becomes unresponsive then no other option but to force close... doesn't happen all the time

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 4:03 pm
Could be an issue with controller drivers not recovering after sleep and locking VDJ up.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 4:14 pm
krn3kiPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :
I sometimes face this issue also, it crashes on my windows 10 after sleep. Becomes unresponsive then no other option but to force close... doesn't happen all the time

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Oh, and VDJ in the only software that crashes after sleep, everything else works perfectly fine.

kradcliffe wrote :
Could be an issue with controller drivers not recovering after sleep and locking VDJ up.

It definitely has nothing to do with controller drivers because it also happens when there are no USB devices connected.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 6:49 pm
An outside guess would be having to wake up the display for DirectX when coming back from sleep and this could vary between GPUs. Could be waking up the second monitor but don't know for sure. In the past there have been various problems with this that were easy to reproduce but I don't remember a crash or hang from it. Now it does seem to do what it is supposed to do but not something I have spent much time testing lately.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 8:14 pm
I'm a little slow so help me out. What is the purpose of putting your machines to sleep, and then waking them up with VDJ running?

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 6:47 am
I wouldn't do it either, in fact my machines have SSD drives and they start in seconds anyway.

Sleep was for the days when PCs took minutes to start up but it's largely not needed unless you have a slow machine, a 5400rpm drive or loads of crap starting on boot.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 10:34 am
You guys missing the point. After my set I like to close the lid of my laptop but whenever I wake up machine VDJ8 will most likely crash. I shouldn't have to avoid doing something hoping the software doesn't crash. This crash doesn't happen all the time and it's usually after using some sort of ASIO driver, so can't say the issue is with VDJ entirely

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 10:48 am
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Disable sleep mode when lid closes. I have just incase some idiot leans over and closes it when i,m working

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 3:26 pm
Sleep is useful if your laptop is not plugged in to save battery but you can set that specifically and I assume you have your laptop plugged in when you are performing. Usually though it is better to find and fix the problem code wise if possible rather than doing something to prevent it because it helps to make the program more robust and others don't have to deal with it later. Too many times someone has passed something off as being a bad video or other similar things. I would bet the devs would love to have those videos rather than just passing it off.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 4:22 pm
Yes, I am still missing the point so I will ask again. What is the purpose of putting your machine to sleep? What are you trying to accomplish? I know what the sleep mode does, I use it on my Surface Pro 3, which I carry with me. If I'm in my doctors office, they call me for the vitals, I close it, and come back out to wait. Now I don't have to turn my machine back on. I'm trying to understand why I would put my machine to sleep running VDJ. We are all different, but when I use VDJ, I don't want anything to go to sleep. When I finish my set, I turn my machine off.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 6:48 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Well in my case, I have to travel to work by train. Takes me 2 hours everyday.
I'm using this time to prelisten and sort new songs.
Once my station is near and I'm not finished with a folder I just put the lid down and get out.

Next time I'm opening up the laptop I'm able to continue at the exact same spot before closing it.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 7:05 pm
PachN wrote :
Once my station is near and I'm not finished with a folder I just put the lid down and get out.

Next time I'm opening up the laptop I'm able to continue at the exact same spot before closing it.

That's because you have nothing connected via USB. I can do the same but when a device is connected then lid closes, VDJ will crash.... like I said this doesn't happen all the time so could be a driver issue

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 7:49 pm
Maybe it's possible to config the USB ports to be powered up even if PC is in sleep?
That might help the USB connected stuff to awake nicely.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 7:54 pm
PachN wrote :

This makes plenty of sense to me, so now I know.

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 10:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)