Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Gain? Some tracks gain properly, some tracks do nothing...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have some tracks that gain properly and others do nothing and the limiter light turns on.

I have "auto + remember" selected.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

Posted Wed 25 Nov 15 @ 7:21 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
please just set to auto
and lower the zerodb to -3
then check again
also possible that you have to delete the gain entrys in your tracks ( for they were set to remember)
if the lowering the zerodb does not solve your issue

Posted Wed 25 Nov 15 @ 7:49 pm
Future releases should have the zerodb -3 setting as standard. On 0db the limiter cuts in too much. I know this has been discussed time and time again but nothing has changed.

Posted Wed 25 Nov 15 @ 7:59 pm
i second the -3db default

problem is there are many types of users of VDJ some just don't dig into the settings to see what can be tweaked others do so a good default would help loads for some people.

Posted Wed 25 Nov 15 @ 8:04 pm
Nah, doesn't work. Some tracks are still too hot and others are not. Guys, these are Promo Only songs... so, I am not messing with them at all.

Any other suggestions?

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 2:08 am
So, I just loaded the new track "Downtown" and it increase the gain 7.4db and now the song plays 100% in the red or 100% limiting... does that seem right?

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 2:13 am
Forget it... re-scanned the tracks and now it's working. Very strange but it's working now.

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 2:15 am
Just FYI:

There's a HUGE difference between VU-meter peaks and the "volume" (loudness) you understand when you play a track.
The VU-Meters show the real-time peaks of audio.
The "volume" that you understand is actually the RMS value of all the "peaks" and "valeys" you see on the VU-meters for a given time.

In order to have all tracks "sound" the same "volume", all tracks must play around the same RMS value. What auto-gain does in VirtualDj is exactly that. It tries to match all tracks to have the same RMS volume when played back.

Up to this point everything should be simple and clear.

The "issues" begin when you start taking compression into account (NO, I'm NOT talking about the limiter)
Modern music is produced at an over compressed level by the studios.
If you analyze a song produced 10 years ago and a song produced this year you'll find out that the RMS level (loudness) of the new song is much higher than the old one.
This means that in order to bring the new song up to par with older song you have 2 options:
1) Increase the gain of the old song (and hit the limiter) or
2) Decrease the gain of the new song

VirtualDj's auto gain sets a target and everything above this target is lowered, while everything below is boosted.
The "target" can be tweaked by the "zeroDB" option.
Obviously, the lower you set the target the more songs will have a gain decrease in order to bring all songs around the same sound level (RMS level)

The gain decrease that occurs on the "new" songs will be shown on the VU-meters themselves! The VU-meter peaks will be lower than they used to be, and THAT'S NORMAL!
What I want to say is that when you are leveling songs (even with a DAW) you should take into account the RMS level, and not the real-time peaks.
Two tracks are not leveled when their vu-meter show the same peaks. It is possible (and very common) that two tracks show the same peaks on vu-meter, but one track is twice as loud as the other one, due to the compression used by the production studio.

Finally a quick note:
When a non-analyzed track is loaded on a deck, VirtualDj will analyze the track on-the-fly, it will calculate the auto-gain value, and finally it will apply it on the track.
However, if you start the deck before the analyzation is complete (before the track fully loads on the deck) the auto-gain value will not be applied in order to avoid sudent volume increase/decrease. The calculated auto-gain value will be applied on the track from the next time you load it on a deck.
So, when you are loading non-analyzed tracks on decks, please allow them to load fully before you start them so that auto-gain values are taken into account.

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 1:06 pm
djmagicmoments wrote :
So, I just loaded the new track "Downtown" and it increase the gain 7.4db and now the song plays 100% in the red or 100% limiting... does that seem right?

I see this CONSTANTLY TOO.

'AUTO" is meaningless apparently.
geesh....

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 11:10 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Finally a quick note:
When a non-analyzed track is loaded on a deck, VirtualDj will analyze the track on-the-fly, it will calculate the auto-gain value, and finally it will apply it on the track.
However, if you start the deck before the analyzation is complete (before the track fully loads on the deck) the auto-gain value will not be applied in order to avoid sudent volume increase/decrease. The calculated auto-gain value will be applied on the track from the next time you load it on a deck.
So, when you are loading non-analyzed tracks on decks, please allow them to load fully before you start them so that auto-gain values are taken into account.

Posted Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 7:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)