Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Comment changes not persisted into ID3 tag

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ v8.1 2585.1086 (Mac)

Right click a song in browser -> change the Key (for instance) -> OK (returns to browser, key is updated) -> select again, and Reload tags(*) -> Nothing happens: normal behavior
Right click a song in browser -> change the Comment -> OK (returns to browser, comment is updated) -> select again, and Reload tags(*) -> Comment reverted to its previous value (ID3 not updated)

(*) you need to select at least 2 songs in the Browser to have the Reload tags action (batch action). There should be this option when you select a single track

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 1:37 pm
You got to select write to make changes in your tags.
OK only changes the value in your db. So a reload tags take the "old" value from the tag and overwrite your changes; nothing wrong with that imO...

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 1:51 pm
music234 wrote :
You got to select write to make changes in your tags.
OK only changes the value in your db. So a reload tags take the "old" value from the tag and overwrite your changes; nothing wrong with that imO...

There were indeed write buttons in a previous build, but I cannot find them now

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 2:05 pm
The "Write" button is only visible when the option setTagsAuto is disbaled.
Most likely you have this option enabled and that's why you don't see the write button.

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 2:11 pm
OK big edit: write button showed up when I disabled the "setTagsAuto" setting.

The problem seems to be sneakier than that: 2-letter comments are truncated to 1-letter: Am becomes A (in the tag), xx becomes x.
Some songs won't let me update the ID3 comment tag at all
Some will work as intended.
(tested with mp3 and aiff, some mp3s fail and some don't, some aiffs fail and some don't)

I can't identify the trigger for this issue.
Something weird going on. Permissions are OK, no spaces in paths, no utf8 characters in paths, deleting settings.xml & database.xml changes nothing.

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 2:11 pm
Update: undesired behaviors occur on ID3 pre-v2.4 only.
Might be a precedence issue on multi-tagged mp3s (e.g. read from v1, but write to v2), or simply bad support for <v2.4.

For best reliability, only tag your songs with ID3v2.4.
On Windows (and Mac with Wine), there is the Mp3Tag freeware that does the job, but you have to configure it so that it will write to ID3v2.4 only (no ID3v1 nor ID3v2.3).
On Mac, MiK's MetaBliss exports to ID3v2.4 as well.
Be sure to clean up all other tags before adding new ones, or the program may default to the existing ID3 version.

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 5:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I tried it with a couple mp3's with id3v2.3 tags I had here, and they saved fine.
Could you send me an mp3 for which you get this behavior?

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 6:44 pm
Thanks for your feedback. Maybe it's ID3v1 then?
I have cleaned up my whole collection now, but I will try to reproduce the bug for you tomorrow, and try to isolate which ID3 version is buggy.
Anyway this whole ID3 version thing is messed up IMHO, files with multiple versions embedded within are bound to cause problems. Migrating to ID3v2.4-only will now be part of my workflow.

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 10:59 pm

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 11:50 pm
wickedmix wrote :
you might reads this blog post might save you some troubles -> http://www.virtualdj.com/user/wickedmix/blogs/5246/id3_Tag_Support_in_VDJ8.html

Thanks. Helpful read.
I have run some tests and actually, it's only the Tag Editor Tag display that is buggy; not the persistence.
Video attached: https://youtu.be/_UI6EV123yw
The comment tag is successfully persisted (as ID3v2.3 ;)) but if it's 2-character long then Tag Editor only prints the first one...

As I said, I reported another ID3/DB-related bug here http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/205539/VirtualDJ_8_1_Technical_Support/Reload_tags_batch_action_doesn_t_reload_Key_into_the_DB.html

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 12:10 am
this must be only on Mac i can't duplicate on PC
sorry i know this is no help but it may help the Devs isolate the issue faster.

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 12:15 am
Yep. 2 bytes get printed as one ("é" -> nothing, "éa" -> nothing, "éaa" -> "éaa", "éé" -> nothing, "ééé" -> "ééé").
Minor issue though.

Thanks for your link

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)