Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Moving the default 'My Documents' folder

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JudderPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I've got a new lappy and put windows10 on the internal SSD (30Gb) and installed a brand new Hybrid HDD (1Tb) in it.

Obviously, 30Gb isn't a lot for a system drive but it installed with 11Gb to spare and I intended to move all the %USER% folders on to the HDD anyway - which I did as soon as the OS finished installing/updating/playing with itself.

Once moved from C:\%USER%\Documents to D:\Documents (using the inbuilt windows move command (right click on my documents, choose location tab and select move)), I then set about installing VDJ and other software.

I copied my VDJ folder from the old machine to the new location and VDJ not only didn't bother looking for it, but it created a new folder in C:\%USER%\Documents and sat there crying that it couldn't run because the default skin wasn't found.

That ended up longer than I thought :(

Anyway, been looking everywhere and can't find the place to tell VDJ where to find the default folder which is now on D:\

Any help - even a slap and finger pointing me in the direction of where the answer is and I just couldn't find it - would be greatfully received.

Cheers in advance

Posted Thu 19 Mar 15 @ 3:48 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Have a look at your registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ

there should be a key named homeFolder.

There is also a "runFolder" if you want to move your Installation to D:\Programs or so.

But keep in mind, that all plugins might try to write to C:\Documents folder when trying to install them.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 15 @ 4:00 am
JudderPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Nice one Pach. I was hoping there would be something in options and I'd just missed it. Regedit it is ¦;-)

Perhaps something we could mention to atomix for a future update?

I know it must be rare to do this but a simple option for changing file locations can't be hard.

Cheers again mate

Posted Thu 19 Mar 15 @ 4:46 am
You can use the registry tool to set the home folder in V8. It's the only thing in the registry now.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 15 @ 3:59 pm
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I am upgrading from Virtual DJ 7 to Version 8 and would like to run the 2 side by side but without any interaction. Is there any way of having different home folders for each version of the software or do I need to create a new user on my PC to install into.

Posted Wed 10 Feb 16 @ 4:43 pm
They will run happily side by side without requiring different folders.

Posted Wed 10 Feb 16 @ 6:10 pm
Sorry that doesn't answer my question, having upgraded on my PC to test Version 8, I find that they don't necessarily run happily together and myself encountered some problems, mainly due to third party effects that were already installed. Regardless, I would like to know whether it's possible or not if possible please.

Posted Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 12:54 pm
check this

click on
Start
Settings
System
Storage

Posted Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 8:54 pm
I'm sorry MagicDJ but I am not sure what you are trying to say to me. Windows has a "start" I can click on but I'm not sure how that relates to where Virtual DJ stores its files.

I am upgrading from Virtual DJ 7 to Version 8 and would like to run the 2 side by side but without any interaction or shared files/folders. in the Registry the key for "homefolder" appears to be shared for all versions of the software. Is there any way of having different home folders for each version of the software or do I need to create a new user on my PC to install into.

Posted Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 9:10 pm
I thought you wanted to permanently change the DOCUMENT folder to a different place, so when you install any program(s), it will use the path where you change it.

How about during VDJ installation, select CUSTOM install (this should let you select any HD/Folder you want). ?

Posted Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 2:24 am
Magic.DJ sorry but I don't think you know what I am asking to do, if anyone does know if what I want to do is possible please let me know. Magic, thanks for your suggestions but none of them actual solve the problem I have.

Posted Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 1:44 pm
The reg key affects both versions 7 & 8, so to achieve what you want then, yes you will need a new user account.

Posted Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 1:47 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As kradcliffe says the registry key is common to both versions. You would either have to use separate user accounts or (at your own risk) modify the registry key to the desired value before each run.

Posted Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 3:00 pm
Is there a way to do this in MacBook?

Posted Fri 20 Apr 18 @ 1:45 pm
I believe that to comply with Apple's store regulations the Library folder has to be used.

Posted Fri 20 Apr 18 @ 1:56 pm
Have a look at your registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ

Posted Tue 12 Mar 19 @ 12:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)