Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Smoke Machine use crashes the Laptop with VDJ8 Hanging - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I thought at first this was a daft diagnosis, as it sounds, but googling it found lots of people with the same problem, as below

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/145405/PC_Version_Technical_Support/4-mx_freezing_when_i_hit_the_smoke_machine.html

2 gigs I had this problem now - someone suggested an uninterruptable power supply at that link. Also suggestions of making sure as few processes active as possible on the laptop. Thing is I use the internet at home on the laptop while running VDJ when preparing - this is never an issue at home and would like to be able to do the same at gigs.

Laptop is fully charged and has power plugged in, so I don't really know why I would need an uninterruptable power supply as well.

I am using Hercules RMX - is it possible this USB powered device is drawing too much power, or sensitive to electromagnetic interference?

Would it help to put a powered USB hub in the equation somehow?

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 1:51 pm
The most likely cause is a glitch in the mains supply caused by the smoke machine. You may be able to find a competent electrician who can fit some suppression components to the smoke machine. Best to solve the root cause.

Next best is to buy some mains filters to protect the delicate equipment (e.g. laptop) from mains problems. Using a UPS is a good idea anyway because it will keep running even if the mains is interrupted, so you won't need to keep the battery in your laptop when it's on mains power (can be bad for it). The battery is the UPS.

Posted Mon 23 Feb 15 @ 5:15 am
If you run the laptop on the battery only and use te smoke machine. Do you have the same issue? If not it's power supply related. If so then it's some type of other interference

Posted Mon 23 Feb 15 @ 9:31 am
Cheers, I thought the same - tried it and so far so good - admittedly I had music playing on my back up machine at the time as didn't want to risk it, but unplugging the laptop from mains before using smoke machine meant it didn't crash/hang.

After some more testing I may trust this method while music is playing, although it is a bit of a pain, and confusing that it can withstand you unplugging and plugging in supply, but not a dip/interference in supply by the smoke machine running

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 6:53 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
A low voltage (brown out) condition causes the laptop to still see voltage from the power supply so it does not switch to the battery.

What about moving high draw items to a different circuit. Before LED lighting and high performance efficiency amps, it was recommended to have lighting and audio on separate circuits. Fog machines have a motor and a heating element, which may be adding to much to an already loaded circuit.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 11:02 pm
You should not have to unplug your laptop to use the smoke machine. Sounds like the power supply for the laptop is bad. Is it the power supply that came with the laptop or is it a generic replacement?

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 7:53 am
I disagree with the laptop power supply being the problem. If I were to troubleshoot this I would put a voltage meter on the circuit to determine what the voltage is and see if it drops.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 10:10 am
Thanks - it's a second hand laptop, so could be a replacement supply - it is HP Compaq 6910P - the charger is HP branded, 65W - googling found some replacements are 90w

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 1:08 pm
You just found the answer to your problem,

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 9:28 am
I agree that an under watt power supply is not good for a device. An under voltage on the main power will raise the amperage drawn through the supply to try and meet the demand of the load. Haveing a voltage monitoring on your mains is highly recommended. Quite a lot of equipment fails prematurely due to uneervoltage and voltage spikes.

I even see fluctuation in my house voltage on the software that communicates to my uninterruptible power supply.

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 10:14 am
I had the same problem once. I hit the smoke machine and my VDJ8 just stopped working. I have to stop the app and restart it. I thought it was me. I had the smoke machine on different outlet that my system (although probably all on the same circuit). I had used the same setup 4 weeks prior without problems... I've since purchased a new smoke machine and all seems better.... the one I had was probably 10yrs old.

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 11:03 am
well damn... system crashed with new machine hooked up... however, this time is did not crash only when pressing the smoke button.. it just hung... If I can remember, I would loose sound and I think VDJ8 comes to a stop.. when I press play, it will startup again but it's lost connection with my console and I have to reboot VDJ8... The funny part is that it will work fine some shows and not others. *weird*

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 10:53 am
Are the both of you using external USB powered hard drives? a flux in laptop power could disrupt the USB power and your file could be glitching. I always use self-powered external hard drives. In fact I am currently using a NAS "network attached storage" server. It connects via cat 5 and I map whatever folders or patitions I want. I keep the server on its own UPS for safety and longevity. I'm thinking of making a post of this setup in the future

Posted Tue 17 Mar 15 @ 6:33 am
The only thing I have hooked up USB is my midi controller. Now, I power that device with the USB plug but I'm going to start to use the power supply that came with it.

Joe.

Posted Tue 17 Mar 15 @ 8:14 pm
I have had and cured this problem !

the problem is due to a spike on the mains power, caused by the very simple pump fitted in the smoke machine, they seem induce a spike due to their inductance , I had full main filtering but it still seemed to get past it.

I would also get the same problem , only not as often when switching some effects.

The cure is very simple and only costs a couple of quid, you just need to add I contact suppressor across the switch , I did this for every switch on my lighting control and opened up the remote for the smoke machine and added one there too, problem solved!!!!

basically its a high voltage capacitor and resistor in series that you place across the switch , it stops the initial arc as the contacts close, the arc is a lot worse on inductive loads (and on some switch mode type power supplies due to the inrush current)

the value of the capacitor and resister can be optimised if you know more about the load, a good starting point is .47uf +100R and this will work well for most loads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPOHM-WOUND-PRODUCTS-FE-SP-CR28-470-100-CONTACT-SUPPRESSOR-0-47UF-100R-/350819436359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51ae77c747

your probably paying as much for the postage as for the item !!

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 8:33 am
PS, I did post the cure to this problem months ago , not sure which forum it was under , not sure how you can see your own previous posts on this site ?

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 8:54 am
Thanks for the update... but I am by not means any type of electrical genius. I am thinking about a $40USD UPS for my system so that in case there was some power spike, my laptop and midi-controller would be safe. My laptop is battery driven so loss of power shouldn't be a problem but a UPS should protect me from some other unforeseen issues.

joe...

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 11:40 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i don't know if this was said... i have the smoke machine separate to all equipment, i had that problem a few yrs ago

Posted Fri 20 Mar 15 @ 3:10 am
A UPS is always a good idea, but may not cure this problem, mains spikes can hard to tackle and inductive spikes can cross to the earth as well , you could start lifting ground connections, but you will find this hard to do , and very impractical, always best to quench the spike at source

Posted Fri 20 Mar 15 @ 5:49 am
Lifting grounds is more then impracticable in my view. It's a dated frowned apon practice that should not be done. As you said, fix the source of the problem. Getting things on different circuits is a good start.

Posted Fri 20 Mar 15 @ 8:42 am
74%