Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Alternatives to Content Unlimited? - Allow to Record Mixes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HutsyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hey Guys,

Tried searching on the forum first but nothing jumped out.

I subscribed to Content Unlimited which seems to have most of the tunes I'd want available which is really good, but of course I then discovered I can't record the mixes due to DRM.

Does anyone know of a similar service, whereby you can record mixes? I'm all for paying and therefore be a legit service, but as I have only just started and "DJ" at home I don't have the need to shell out money for each track as it would really add up for someone who isn't doing any performances.

I subscribe to Spotify so I've not had the need to buy music for some time now.

Thought I'd ask on here before hunting around.

Cheers!

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 11:54 am
Is this just for private use or are you wanting to stick these mixes up online somewhere for others?

The thing is, the CU music is rented. It's not yours, so you're not entitled to record it because that would allow you to keep it.

In fact even if you had bought every track, recording it isn't exactly legal either (because it creates a copy) - especially if you then upload it somewhere.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 12:52 pm
ZothenPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Search for DJ Pools like DJcity or Franchise Record.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 12:50 pm
Zothen wrote :
Search for DJ Pools like DJcity or Franchise Record.

Did you not hear (read) he rather not spend money for tracks he may not like to keep. Record Pools cost money, unlike the old days you don't get a ton of records that end up being useless, wondering how that artist made it past A&R.

I am not going to mentioned alternatives here they pretty obvious.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 5:46 am
groovindj wrote :
Is this just for private use or are you wanting to stick these mixes up online somewhere for others?

The thing is, the CU music is rented. It's not yours, so you're not entitled to record it because that would allow you to keep it.

In fact even if you had bought every track, recording it isn't exactly legal either (because it creates a copy) - especially if you then upload it somewhere.

Of course it can be recorded, but it's not what I would call "affordable". It's not like CU prevents the tape/record outputs from working, so whatever comes out of those can be recorded.

The trick is what to use and again, I won't mention those options, other than to say it can be done.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 5:48 am
djfourmoney wrote :
Of course it can be recorded

I didn't say it can't be recorded - I said it's not legal to do so.

Regardless of whether the music is rented (like CU), streamed (like Spotify) or even purchased on CD, vinyl or download - making unauthorized copies is prohibited.

When you buy a copyrighted work (music, movie, book etc) you're only buying the right to listen/watch/read someone elses work. You haven't bought the work itself, and you can't do what you want with it.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 6:23 am
HutsyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Thanks mate,

When I click record in VDJ, it says it can't be done due to the content having DRM and I believe it disables any other recording functionality via Windows as well?

As I say, I don't mind paying a monthly fee that gives me the flexibility for using music to mix with. I'm happy to even not be able to download permanently like Content Unlimited.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 6:32 am
Personally i Google all my music, i used to pay on a site called MyMp3Pool but i can find the same tracks they have on google for free. you have to just search.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 3:59 pm
groovindj wrote :
djfourmoney wrote :
Of course it can be recorded

I didn't say it can't be recorded - I said it's not legal to do so.

Regardless of whether the music is rented (like CU), streamed (like Spotify) or even purchased on CD, vinyl or download - making unauthorized copies is prohibited.

When you buy a copyrighted work (music, movie, book etc) you're only buying the right to listen/watch/read someone elses work. You haven't bought the work itself, and you can't do what you want with it.

One more time.... If you playing out to a crowd who is paying to listen to you play, this is technically illegal as well, but people let that slide huh? That is called interpretation of the rule(s) much like the Bible is used to fit whatever anybody's wacky beliefs are.

So if you record a set that your playing to a paid audience using CU for some but not all your tracks, again that can be viewed as illegal. So what's the use of CU if you use it for DJ purposes up too and including recording your sets so you can improve at your craft?

In a perfect world DRM rules would be more intelligently written and not for other factions looking to make sure they bleed every penny from with no benefit to the artist themselves.

The majority of artist make money touring/performance now days, moving forward this will become the standard not something out of the ordinary.

Lots of things are not done in the spirit of how rules are written because they are usually written to benefit of somebody with money, status or influence.

As I mentioned earlier, one more time. If your speakers work when you use CU tracks, then the output is not compromised and you can use a few different ways to record your output and that is not illegal; who's to know you don't have a recording device plugged to your rec outs while your XLR's are plugged into speakers that everybody with in ear shot can hear, paying to attend or not?

I am not condoning ANYTHING just mentioning it can be done and VDJ is not the only software with some type of crippling of recording in order to force people to buy the full copy (cough, cough Serato...) of the software. In this case to protect Grooveshark from any RIAA nonsense it has to be officially mentioned that tracks can't be recorded.

That doesn't not mean it can't be done. If Banks can break rules and crash economies world-wide, damaging families and causing deaths, how dare RIAA come along and try to crush creativity of the little people at the behest of record labels who are bleeding cash because they are trying to protect a 100 year old business model!

The alternatives to CU is to download the songs via Google. Lots of blogs out there....

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 12:51 am
djfourmoney wrote :
If you playing out to a crowd who is paying to listen to you play, this is technically illegal as well, but people let that slide huh?

You're resurrecting this after all these months?

In the above scenario, the DJ playing would usually be doing so in a venue.

In the majority of cases (where the venue regularly hosts entertainment) the venue would be licensed for public performance of music, so no - it wouldnot be illegal. Nice try though.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 2:56 am
groovindj wrote :
djfourmoney wrote :
If you playing out to a crowd who is paying to listen to you play, this is technically illegal as well, but people let that slide huh?

You're resurrecting this after all these months?

In the above scenario, the DJ playing would usually be doing so in a venue.

In the majority of cases (where the venue regularly hosts entertainment) the venue would be licensed for public performance of music, so no - it wouldnot be illegal. Nice try though.

Why is it an issue I commented on this????

Don't pretend I don't understand the legalese of the recording industry. It's not written for the digital age and DRM is poorly written period.

RIAA tried to shutdown Grooveshark for others uploading music to their site.

The OP was looking for alternatives to CU because DRM prevents him from recording internally in the software. Umm recording your mixes existed before all this stuff.

XLR/Balanced and RCA are analog.

If natural curiosity fails you, there's always Google.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 10:32 pm
djfourmoney wrote :
Don't pretend I don't understand the legalese of the recording industry.

recording your mixes existed before all this stuff.

Well it seems pretty clear to me that you don't understand. Either that or you're just playing ignorant for the sake of argument.

Yes, copyrighted material can be recorded - but it's illegal to do so. DRM or no DRM.

The copyright in the tracks belongs to someone else. The artist, the record company etc. - not the person who bought (or rented) the tracks.

Record something (by whatever means) which doesn't belong to you and you've acted illegally. Distribute that (e.g uploading a mix) and you're breaking the law again.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 5:40 am
Hi guys. i subscribed the unlimited video, but why its not showing in my vj?before when i have the old version of vj8 i can view the video from the internet but when i downloaded the new updated version, its gone! Please help!

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 1:00 am
In future, please try and post either in a thread which is relevant, or start a new one. Also please try to avoid posting in dead threads. This one is 2 years old.

Content Unlimited does not provide video "from the internet". That's Netsearch, which is currently not working in newer builds (see numerous threads on that subject).

CU provides video from VJ-Pro and this service is working fine (according to staff and other users).

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 8:45 am
Thank you though, im new here

Posted Tue 18 Oct 16 @ 11:46 pm
davesheaControlleristMember since 2014
I use BeatPort,
Its rammed with tracks, if you buy tracks from BeatPort you can sell your Mixes on BeatPort too. But make sure you check each track you download is suitable for this.
I havent found a track yet that isnt.
I believe it works like this:
When you buy the track the artist, label and beatport take cuts.
Once you mix, upload and sell
They again take another cut and you get a tiny bit back.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 4:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)