Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Restoring xml files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

(I hope this the correct area to post this as I posted this in premium member area. Admin, please delete the post in the wrong area thank you) I Need some help with getting my backed up files into new install of 7.3 which seems to be all I can download. Before my laptop crashed I managed to to a backup and have the restore files. They are in the VDJ folder, but I do not have any que points, any virtual folders, and music that I downloaded from netsearch, nothing by my own files on my HD, which are not cued or anything. It's like I just started with VDJ for the first time. I hope someone can help with this because gigs are not paying using friends equipment! Thanks in advance. Dan

Posted Sun 09 Dec 12 @ 10:29 pm
Did you restore your music collection back to exactly the same location as it was in before and with the same folder structure? If not, then VirtualDJ will not find it because it no-longer matches the database.

First, make sure that you restore your database (VirtualDJ Database v6.xml) to My Documents\VirtualDJ

If your music is not in the same location as it was previously, correct it so that it is. Otherwise, you will need to manually edit the database to correct the path to each file. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/PC%20Transfer%20To%20A%20New%20Computer.html

You could also try starting VirtualDJ and browse to the drive/folder where your music is located. Right-click on it and choose Add to search DB. As it adds the music, it should match it against any previous information for the same songs stored in the database (Recalling cue points, etc.)

Posted Mon 10 Dec 12 @ 5:54 am
Thanks for your reply, however I do understand the whole find/replace thing in an editor. I'm running windows 7 and VDJ is located in "Program Files" , "Program Files x86" and in "Documents" folder. Which one do I go in and change the path to? Plus when I open VDJ Database v6 in notepad, I can see the paths. The one that's confusing and why I am not getting my virtual folders back with the music I downloaded from netsearch. Am I doing something wrong or are they gone forever?

This is one of the paths copied from notepad ... <Song FilePath="netsearch://gs36210703" Flag="256">
<Display Author="Linkin Park" Title="Burn it Down (Paul Van Dyk Remix)" Color="6153402" Tag="1" />
<Infos SongLength="10226304" FirstPlay="1212061403" LastPlay="1212061403" PlayCount="1" Bitrate="320" />
<BPM Bpm="24055" Phase="16611" />
<FAME IsScanned="510" Volume="10985" Key="Am" />
<Automix MixType="3" TempoStart="810238" TempoEnd="8892796" CutStart="810272" CutEnd="9639040" FadeStart="344064" FadeEnd="10006528" RealStart="40960" RealEnd="10153984" />
</Song>

I hope you can help me get this back in working order.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 9:17 am
Your main database will be located in My Documents\VirtualDJ (On Windows 7, this will usually be C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ)

If you use any external drives, then each of these will also have its own separate local database at the root of the drive.

The above database entry is for a NetSearch song that has been streamed live rather than cached, which is why its path begins with netsearch://

Cached files are located in My Documents\VirtualDJ\Cache (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\Cache) Make sure that you restored your cached files from your backup to this folder.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 11:08 am
Then I suppose I'm F--ked because windows did not back up and restore that folder. And I still cannot go back to get any que points or virtual folders or anything! This sucks. Now I know why my felloe DJ friends tell me to stick with "carry with you" music. One crash and your FKED.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 11:44 am
When using a computer you must always ensure that you backup all files that are important to you on a regular basis - Please see:

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/How%20do%20I%20backup%20my%20VirtualDJ%20database%20and%20settings.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Backup%20your%20music%20collection.html

Providing that you backed up your VirtualDJ database and your music collection then you should be able to restore it again providing that you put the music in EXACTLY THE SAME LOCATION as previously advised as well as copying your database backup back to My Documents\VirtualDJ. Even if the music isn't in the same location, adding it to the search database again will normally bring back the old saved information from the restored database such as cue points, etc. providing that the file names are still the same.

Your NetSearch cached music will be lost if you didn't back this up, but you can always download it again.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 1:36 pm
Back up you say... Are you serious? Of course I back everything up otherwise I would have GIGs of nothing! The problem is that the way VDJ stores your downloaded songs from netsearch, windows does NOT see them as music. Now I know, that I have to physically go into that folder and back it up. I was under the assumtion that VDJ stored the files you downloaded at some server, unfortunately I found out the hard way. At least it was only 400 tracks or so, (still had lots of que points and long time to go through everything to make sure they didn't pop, curse, fart, or otherwise!) not the 60,000 I have on file that I back up the back ups. I would be a fool if I didnt do that.

Also, VDJ is seeing my playlists since I moved them into the "playlist folder" from the backup. The only problem is that the path is different now and there is no way to change the path since its a M3U file. Any ideas?

Right about now I feel like buying back tons of LPs I had. Sure they are heavy to lug around, but you ALWAYS have them.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 2:24 pm
Si I created a new folder to the path VDJ knew and moved all of my music into it so VDJ recognizes it. Definitely a PIMFA. But it works, no que points or anything still. Oh well.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 2:54 pm
DRBmaddog24 wrote :
Back up you say... Are you serious?

Yes, unfortunately there are many users who come here asking for help after they have lost everything having never made any backup or not updated them recently. Thankfully, most users do make regular backups.

NetSearch files are not standard audio/video files as far as the Operating System is concerned. They are proprietary DRM encrypted files that you rent while your premium membership is active and can only be played back in VirtualDJ. The original files are stored on GrooveShark's servers or in the case of videos, are stored on free public video streaming servers. Providing the files are still available, you can search for and then cache them again.

In VirtualDJ v7.3 you can also now create cloud lists of files from NetSearch, which are like on-line playlists. These are stored on a server, so if your computer crashes or is lost/stolen, you will still be able to access these with your VirtualDJ Premium Membership, making it easier to find and download the music again. They are also useful if you ever log in from another computer running VirtualDJ (E.g: Installed in a bar.)

Normally, most users would backup their entire My Documents which is where all files they have created are stored, regardless of application. Just backing up common types of data files such as documents, pictures, audio, etc. will not account for other types of files that you may have created and need to retain such as program settings, saved computer games and less common types of data files.

Like most applications, VirtualDJ's home folder is stored in My Documents and contains your main database along with any skins/plugins you have installed, your playlists, track play history, etc.

Playlists are drive and path specific, so if the path of your music files has changed, you will either need to manually edit each playlist (Use notepad search & replace to replace the old path with new, e.g: C:\OldMusic -> C:\NewMusic) or alternatively, you can try using a tool to do this for you such as Playlist Fixer: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/tools.html

DRBmaddog24 wrote :
Right about now I feel like buying back tons of LPs I had. Sure they are heavy to lug around, but you ALWAYS have them.

Not necessarily - Physical records and CD's could be stolen from your house/car or accidentally damaged and unlike digital media are harder to recover should a disaster occur. Digital music can easily be restored from your backup and you can be up and running again in a matter of minutes/hours. With vinyl, you would have to purchase all your music all over again (Some of which may no-longer be available.) With CD's you could make digital backups by ripping them, but it would take some time to burn 60,000 songs worth of CD's again, not to mention the number of cases you'd need to store/carry them all!

Some suggestions to avoid disaster in future:

* Make a full backup of the entire My Documents\VirtualDJ folder (Full backup of your entire My Documents is strongly recommended.)

* Edit the tags of your music and ensure that as much information is entered as possible. This will ensure that this information is available in all DJ/media applications that you use now or in the future. In a future version of VirtualDJ it may also be possible to store cue points and ratings in tags.

* Adopt a standard location for your music library (E.g: C:\Music) which can be used on any new computer that you get in future or if you have re-install your computer. If you store your music in My Documents, then the path will change depending on the user name that you choose and/or if Microsoft decide to change the default location in future versions of the Operating System.

* Consider using an external hard disk (1TB USB 2.5" is a convenient size with plenty of storage.) External drives have their own local VirtualDJ database and can be hot plugged into any computer running VirtualDJ. Purchase two or preferably 3 drives and then sync the data from the 1st to the others so that you always have a backup. With 3 drives, you can use the 1st as your main drive, the 2nd as a backup that you take to gigs with you (In case the first fails) and the 3rd as your master backup that always stays at home.

Posted Thu 13 Dec 12 @ 5:11 am
Hi i need a help to restoring my virtual Dj 7

Posted Fri 23 Dec 16 @ 11:44 pm
sorry, I posted in the wrong place, I think.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 3:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)