Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VirtualDJ and Linux... does it work?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, I currently use Windows XP still and need to upgrade for a variety of reasons. I am considering using Linux, I am pretty tech savy and think I can do it.. fingers crossed... However, I just wanted to know if anyone here is successfully running VirtualDJ Pro on Linux, how it sounds and how it performs. I use videos, music and karaoke FYI. I read about the WINE emulation?? I take it this is the only way to run VirtualDJ on Linux? Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Posted Wed 15 Feb 12 @ 11:01 am
I have tried VDJ with WINE on UBUNTU it does work but is not usable, you will need a PC with some serious horse power to get it halfway usable. I would just go with Windows 7, it runs like a dream on that 32 and 64bit.

Posted Wed 15 Feb 12 @ 12:29 pm
I would still give it a try in your place - Ubuntu is free, anyway and you could even use a persistent USB-stick installation so you don't have to mess up your running system.
My concern is wether your soundcard works with Linux.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 12 @ 11:27 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
WINE (Wine is not an emulator) will not give you the results you want, especially if you want to run karaoke and video effects due to DirectX9 not working. Unfortunately, I have not found a good dj app for Linux. Mixx is fun, but I would gig with it, and it's only audio. Your best bet is Windows 7. I have been running Linux as my main OS for +17 years, and have tried every year to get something to work. But, I have found that Win 7 is a very well built OS so far.

Posted Tue 06 Mar 12 @ 12:36 am

Posted Tue 06 Mar 12 @ 5:07 am
I can't believe that there is still not a Linux version of VDJ. I am so sick of Windows. You pay tons of money for it, then tons more just to protect it. I am currently converting my desktop computers to Ubuntu, and I would love to do the same with my show laptops, but there are no good DJ/VJ/KJ programs for Linux. I have been hoping VDJ would come out with their own Linux version for years. Imagine the money they would make having a version for all three platforms! But, nothing yet. :-(

Posted Sat 24 Mar 12 @ 2:12 pm
itsyourentertainment wrote :
I am so sick of Windows. You pay tons of money for it, then tons more just to protect it.

That's a bit exaggerated.....
If you buy a computer, on 99 out of 100 Windows is already installed on it. No extra costs.
If your gig-machine never connects to the internet and your external HDD is clean or checked frequently, it doesn't need protection. And if it does, a decent internet security app is really not that expensive (I run GData, which costs me 59 Euro for 3 licenses per year) That can't be a reason to drop Windows.....
The vast majority of VDJ-customers is working with Windows or OSX. It's quite a challenge to develop the software for a handfull of Linux-users, not to mention the costs of development. And apparently it is still a handfull: you are the 3th in a month that wants this or have tried to use it.

Posted Sat 24 Mar 12 @ 8:47 pm
faeldraHome userMember since 2012
could try virtual-box windows 7 just for VDJ, I haven't tried yet.
just a thought.

Posted Sun 29 Jul 12 @ 11:47 am
In general, a virtual machine won't perform fast enough to run a demanding application such as VirtualDJ.

Also, if you are installing Windows 7, you may as well just install it natively in a dual-boot setup, which will provide the highest performance for both operating systems.

Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Linux%20compatibility.html

Posted Mon 30 Jul 12 @ 4:10 am
Virtual DJ lovers...

Sometimes invited DJ's come to play at my club bringing a pendrive and uses my own laptop. I dislike it but I can't complain 'cause I am required to follow the rules of the club. Who can assure me that there's not windows viruses on it? I'm certain that not only me, but many other VDJ users would be safe working on Linux. So please developers, make a version that works on Linux!
Or... please tell us a DJ software that runs on Linux that imports VDJ's CUE points, comments, etc...

Thank you!

Posted Sat 06 Oct 12 @ 12:22 pm
Please see the above link. A Linux version is unfortunately not commercial viable at this time.

Providing that you use up-to-date anti-virus/anti-spyware software, you should be reasonably safe from viruses. Make sure that you also have a full regular backup of your system and all your music (You should already be doing this as a matter of course.)

You could also insist that the guest DJ use their own computer to play from if they are bringing their own music. Then you don't have to worry. Or you could use the Mac version. Macs in general are less susceptible (But not immune) to viruses due to the fact Windows is a much easier target.

Another option is to use a hardware MIDI controller that's capable of playing USB media directly. Then you have no virus issues at all if you insist that your guest DJ's who bring pendrives use this only.

Linux compatible DJ software is very limited and also very basic at the moment due to the very small potential user-base (Little profit vs development costs, which is not the case for Windows or Mac DJ software.)

NOTE: VirtualDJ Home FREE cannot be used for commercial purposes. It's for personal use at home for fun only. For commercial use, please support the software and its future development by purchasing it: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/comparison.html (Especially if you are working DJ or club owner and are making money as a result of using it.)

Posted Sat 06 Oct 12 @ 2:51 pm
I'm amazed that Virtual DJ does work using Wine. I've been building a new virtual machine for work purposes (running CentOS which is typically a server OS) and thought it would be an interesting test to see if Virtual DJ 7.2 would be able to load. Much to my amazement, audio playback is good (using "General Internal audio decoder" with 11ms latency and Safe Mode enabled). This is running in a virtual machine on a Windows host so 'native' performance may be better. The performance isn't good enough that you could play a gig with (even with the latency set to 1ms it's noticeably slower) but should be satisfactory for at least the home edition.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 12 @ 11:03 pm
As a former professional DJ, I would be excited to see VirtualDJ on a linux platform. Mac is too much crap to fool with and Winblows... well, lets not go there. I have been using Linux and Android systems now for several years and am thrilled. Whenever I need windoze, I just load virtualbox or wine and hammer away, avoiding entire system crashes with a few clicks. Seeing that you all are anal to the Linux community is sad, especially considering your user base is a niche industry. You would think you would embrace the Linux users. I mean, I can see making a Mac port because alot of musicians use Macs (still trying to figure that out) but going to Winblows and not Linux seems rude. Oh well. I may be opining to deaf ears, but I will stick with Mixxx for now, even tho it is severely lacking in depth. Even if you provided some sort of assistance for linux users rather than turning your nose up to them, it would be nice.

Hope you all have a great one!

Cheers!

Wesley

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 9:22 pm
rassieHome userMember since 2007
Just did a party.. took my Unbuntu 14.04 lapotp with 1t ssd hd and a old cq50 compaq laptop to a gig, and made it out alive!!!! Had mixxx in the background for emegency but never used it.. It did freeze once when installed an external HD for like 5 seconds, but have seen the same effect with windown...lol.. word to the wise.. test unbuntu before saying virtual dj camt work on windows.. I use wine, also had full control with my midi control.. Used it for 5 hours.. Jamaican Dancehall....

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 11:24 pm
"If you buy a computer, on 99 out of 100 Windows is already installed on it. No extra costs."

Whoever installed Windows on that computer paid for a license for it, and almost certainly passed that cost onto you. Windows has not been free, and one of the anti-competitive measures Microsoft pursued as it gained traction in the marketplace (circa 1988-1994) was to negotiate contracts in which they charged OEMs (e.g. HP, Dell, IBM, etc.) a certain amount per computer (technically processor) sold -- regardless of whether Windows was included on the machine or not.

If you don't believe me, just ask the U.S. Justice Department:
http://www.justice.gov/atr/competitive-impact-statement-us-v-microsoft-corporation

I'll spare you the tangent about the deaths of many (perhaps technically superior) operating systems who couldn't make it in this kind of marketplace (here's looking at you, BeOS).

Things are slightly better now, but it's still hard to find a machine from a standard OEM that doesn't come pre-bundled with Windows, and you can bet that you are paying for it.

Posted Thu 18 Feb 16 @ 4:15 pm
Can VDJ 8 and my Hercules mixer play on a Linux system? If so, how?

Posted Mon 23 Jan 17 @ 7:06 pm
Did you read this thread?

The simple answer is no.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 17 @ 7:07 pm
The answer my friend is blowing in the ......................I mean, read this thread for the answer to the question.

LOCKED BY AMAHM

Posted Tue 31 Jan 17 @ 9:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)