Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Denon HC- 4500 - setting up/mapping - some help needed please - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Firstly i have to say when it comes to the technical side of all things computing im a relative Novice, i grew up in the days when betamax videos were cutting edge.

So i have just picked up a second hand HC-45000 and after a bit of use really like it. What i would like to do is set the unit up that to suit me better. I have had a quick look through the exisitng default controller parameters in the config menu and have tried to change a few simple controls using the auto learn function but have had no real success.

where do i find the real mapping code and how easy is for a Noob to learn and make adjustments.

What i would like is 3 of the the hot cue buttons to operate the pre set loop facility, 4/8/16 and a button somewhere to half the loop upon pressing. Also i would like to assign the 3 effects buttons to specific effects. The manaul loop facility wants tweaking too when i decide how i want to use it

as i said i treid the config menu controller auto learn function and although on screen when hovering over a soft button the highlight states what hardware button is assigned it does not work.

I appreciate some time is needed to sit and play but time is rare at the moment unfortunately and if somebody could point me in the right direction, i would be very gratefull

Cheers
Dave

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 3:41 am
A) To reset the mapper back to it's default settings all you have to do is to press the small "setup" icon on the bottom of the mappers config window (it's the first button from left)

B) In order to map a button instead of auto-learn it's better to use VDJ script commands directly, like "loop", "loop 4", "loop 8", "loop 16", "loop_half", "loop_double", "effect 'flanger' activate", "effect 'beatgrid' activate" e.t.c

Take a look on VDJ Script and on some examples

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 4:55 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
A) To reset the mapper back to it's default settings all you have to do is to press the small "setup" icon on the bottom of the mappers config window (it's the first button from left)

B) In order to map a button instead of auto-learn it's better to use VDJ script commands directly, like "loop", "loop 4", "loop 8", "loop 16", "loop_half", "loop_double", "effect 'flanger' activate", "effect 'beatgrid' activate" e.t.c

Take a look on VDJ Script and on some examples

Thanks for that but im afraid i have to refer you back to my opening line about the lack of knowledge when it comes to the world of computing.

having looked at some sample script , it doesnt look too daunting but..and here comes the really noobish question.. where do i find the original script is this script device specific or is it part of the entire prog, can i safely tinker without killing something and is there an option to restore after tinkering and things go wrong.

Bare in mind im running on native support, not a mapper add-on. does this make a difference

cheers

Dave

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 6:30 am
Hi,

I have a mapping for the HC4500 that lets you 'toggle' between hotstarts and loops with the 4 buttons. The FX buttons are already mapped to my personal requirements but I can easily change it for your needs.

Pop me an email to keith.radcliffe"at"btinternet.com stating which buttons you want mapped to what and I'll send it to you over the weekend.

Keith

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 6:36 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Hi,

I have a mapping for the HC4500 that lets you 'toggle' between hotstarts and loops with the 4 buttons. The FX buttons are already mapped to my personal requirements but I can easily change it for your needs.

Pop me an email to keith.radcliffe"at"btinternet.com stating which buttons you want mapped to what and I'll send it to you over the weekend.

Keith

Thanks for that keith, i may be in touch. im not 100% sure what i want and being able to access and edit myself may be beneficial. Did you start from scratch or download a mapper and edit it yourself

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 6:43 am
I started with the default VDJ mapper then customized it to suit. Once you get to grips with VDJ script it's not that bad. You can open the mapper file in a text editor and read it that way which makes things a little easier to understand.

Keith

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 8:20 am
kradcliffe wrote :
. You can open the mapper file in a text editor and read it that way which makes things a little easier to understand.

Keith

Where can i find the default/supported device mapper? My mapper folder is empty with no hidden files. i assume now that the entire collection of native controller mappers must be within the main prog script.

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 8:52 am
You need to modify one of the mapped buttons then exit VDJ then it will create the file.

If you don't change anything it uses the code built in to the base program.

Keith

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 9:20 am
Ahhhh

Now we have a mapper to faf with. Thanks Keith. Nowhere could i find that little snippet of info.

am trawling through some existing stuff and the 'verbs' to see whats what.

assigning hot cue 3,4 & 5 to loop 4,8 &16 is a start with the 'b' button reducing the loop by 50%. In addition i may assign the source buttons to swap between decks 1 & 3 (2 & 4)

finally effect button 1 to apply the flanger.

That should be it for now, everything else is fairly ok but saying that i kind of liked the way my old pioneer cdj's managed the loop section with holding the in or out button and turning the platter moved the in/out points instead of using the flip button. Not essential but may have a look one day

Thanks again Keith

Dave

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 11:05 am
No problem Dave, anything else you need to know just give me a shout.

I still have the HC-4500 in a cupboard as a backup so it shouldn't be too difficult to dig it out again.

Cheers

Keith

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 12:42 pm
I have managed to set up the loop functions to my liking but am having trouble with the effx

the current map has this for the effx buttons and i would like to assign flanger to effect button 1

<map value="FX1" action="menu_button 7 &apos;effect&apos;" />

i have read the literature and it states this but i m not sure of the correct script as several attempts have been unsucessfull

<effect_active>start or stop the effect. you can also specify an effect by name ('effect "my_effect" active on'), or use a different effect slot ('effect 3 active').</effect_active>

to start with i simply tried the below just to activate the pre selected effect

<map value="FX1" action="effect_active" />

cheers
Dave

Posted Mon 18 Apr 11 @ 3:58 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
effect active will toggle the currently selected effect on the deck.
effect 'flanger' active will toggle the flanger effect.

It's safer to edit within VDJ so you don't have to worry about XML formatting.

Posted Mon 18 Apr 11 @ 4:30 am
SBDJ wrote :
effect active will toggle the currently selected effect on the deck.
effect 'flanger' active will toggle the flanger effect.

It's safer to edit within VDJ so you don't have to worry about XML formatting.

Thanks for that, have got everything working how i want it now.

Posted Mon 18 Apr 11 @ 5:11 am
kradcliffe i wish u could help me mapping, i need to assing a key or 2 keys of my denon 4500 controller to auto crossfade video from one deck to another, is that possible??? thnks!

Posted Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 10:46 am
Simply map a button to the action: video_transition

Or see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Automatic%20video%20crossfade%20with%20PLAY%20and%20CUE%20buttons.html on the page http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJScript%20Examples.html

Alternatively, if you purchase the Denon X500 or X900 mixer, you can use the real mixer crossfader to video crossfade.

NOTE: You will need to purchase the full VirtualDJ Professional to be able to use MIDI controllers such as the HC4500 and custom mappings: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Posted Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 11:10 am
djcarlodorazio wrote :
is it possible never haveing to touch the mouse with the denon 4500? is there a way I can bring cursor back to the spell box below the players? can I map it. also how do I map for back spin and break on my FX keys?? I would like to map all 3 on each side

Posted Wed 31 Aug 11 @ 4:07 pm

Posted Thu 01 Sep 11 @ 7:08 am
i have recently got myself a denon hc 4500 i am getting it to work on vdi 8 but the unit won't display tracks time etc and cue and play won't light up either is this something to do with the mapping and is there an easy fix cheers dave

Posted Wed 08 Feb 17 @ 7:47 pm
hi i have recently bought a denon hc4500 i have got it working sort of but can't get it display tracks time etc and cue and play won't light up any ideas folks simple fix hopefully

Posted Wed 08 Feb 17 @ 7:52 pm
Check it's MIDI channel by using it's utility
It should be on CH1 for the unit to work properly

Posted Thu 09 Feb 17 @ 11:38 am
95%