Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "Autoplay" or Automix?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Been reading forums till my eyes are bleeding. Haven't found an answer. Is it possible to have "Autoplay" as opposed to "Automix" in VDJ. Meaning can I load a few rock songs into the playlist and have it play (mix) the songs from the begining of the song to the end without it being "smart" and chosing where the start and end of the song should be? It would be nice if it would play the song from the begining, and then be able to tell it to fade the next song with 5 or 10 seconds left in the song. I read somewhere to go into each specificic mp3 and set the cuepoints, I have over 17,000 songs, so doing this is not viable option. Is there a plugin perhaps, or maybe a seeting I'm missing to enable this? Thanx for your time.

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 6:30 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DiamondDoug -

Yes, it is possible. And the info is out there in the forums. But, here is the nutshell.

You stated you are looking for a 5 or 10 sec crossfade at the end of each song.
Well without setting cue points you are stuck with one or the other - so let's choose a 5 sec. fade at the end. Now this means that 5 sec before the song ends the fade will begin and the next song will start. FAME Settings in VDJ would be like such:

AutoBPM - Disabled
AutoPitch - Disabled
ForceFade - Enabled
FadeLength - Slide the slide to read 5.0
Crossfader - Smooth or Full (your choice)

There you go, every mix is a 5.0 sec crossfade using the AutoMix of a playlist.
-- If I messed something, I am doing this from work and was looking through the manual --

Hope this helps,

cstoll

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 2:35 am
Excellent thank you very much. In a nutshell is what's needed because I read every post possible on the topic and the solution was never addressed till now. Thank you very much. One thing, will these Fame settings now stop VDJ from starting a song 30 seconds into the song, and instead play it from the beginning each time? That's the part that really concerned me was the "smart" cueing, and beginnings of songs being jumped over for what VDJ thought was the better start point. Thanx for your time.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 6:00 pm
The ForceFade feature is what should stop the problem you are describing.

cstoll

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 6:23 pm
That doesnt work still starting some songs 30 seconds into the song, and ending some 30 seconds or so earyly if it has a quieter intro or extro. How does someone request to VDJ to add an autoplay that is like the autopilot in PCDJ? It is a feature sorley missing from VDJ

Posted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 8:22 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The config in pcdj IS well done where you can set up the intro and outro fade points.
The problem is that it will NEVER be perfect because mp3s vary so much in this area.

I have dead air occasionally during dinner sets on auto, freaks me out everytime.
Best advice is mix it yourself and save it as one mp3.

I say never, but I hope right along with ya, trust me.

Posted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 9:00 pm
Ok, so the message I'm getting here is that VDJ CANNOT and WILL NOT be able to perform this very basic function. I think VDJ is an awesome product and can do many cool things. However not having a straightforward autoplay feature is weak. Not every DJ is a beatmatching, hip hop, techno, etc, mixer. There is still the mobile jocks and rock jocks out there, where beatmatching isn't paramount. Sometimes we just want to be able to drop some songs in a playlist and let the computer do the work while we grab the wireless mic and go work the crowd. Anyway if anyone involved sees this, please consider adding this function, perhaps as a setting, it would be greatly appreciated. This is one thing that makes me feel regret for spending the cash on VDJ. I could of got by with the limited version included with my Hercules console and spent the dough on PCDJ or for that matter just about ANY other DJ software that can do this. At this point I'm pretty ticked.

Posted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 10:26 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
You are 100% correct in your thinking, and this is why there is a fully functional demo.
And there ARE other programs that do some things better, no arguement.
If I could get all the finer points of each program all in one, i'd be in hog heaven.

As for feeling ripped off.....well my friend some of us have had our eyes poked out a few times on software that to this day isn't giggable ask around here, and at a much greater loss than you have sustained.
Sorry for the parasentence...

Lastly,
None of us here want to be known as "auto djs".
Priorities lie elsewhere in this program development other than "autoplay" IMO.

I think if you spend some more time with it, you will find that it wasn't a waste of money.

Posted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 11:49 pm
Thanx for your input mp3jrick. Nice to know someone is listening and can empathize. I don't feel ripped off per se, but more just disapointed. I still think VDJ is an incredible peice of software. When I do feel like doing some beatmixing then VDJ is the sh*t, it works like a hot damn for that. All I'm saying, since it isn't possible now, to add a feature like "smart cue Enable/Disable" Setting. Allowing every song to be played from the very begining to end regardles of beat. And while I'm not an "auto dj" either, where alot of you show your skills in selecting songs that go well together and blending them in new and original ways. There are DJ's who's skills are in being a high energy power host who get involved with the crowd and work the room to make a party happen, with the power of their personality. That being the case ignoring this type of DJ is a mistake, and making this very simple feature request is a number one development priority, IMO. VDJ has got the beatmixing DJ's ass covered on all plains from what I can see. How about throwing the old school working man's Dj a bone here, and incorperate this very basic and simple function?

Posted Thu 30 Jun 05 @ 5:29 pm
DiamondDoug --

I know you were asking for a simple crossfade like 5 sec. But, if what you really are asking for is 0 sec crossfade so that the entire track plays before mixing in autoplay, then set the crossfade to CUT and slide the Fade Length to 0 sec.

Sorry the 5 sec FADE is not giving you what you originally described.

cstoll

Posted Thu 30 Jun 05 @ 11:52 pm
CHarmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
As an "OLD, OLD School" type myself I can understand what the gentleman is a saying, and agree some what with him. However, If you don't want to take the time (like me) to set outcues, JUST pay more attention to what songs you have in cue and how they would sound best (as in the next song up) with the one in front of it. I might also add to the Team you might throw that bone he was asking wth an added feature to it. A way to remote control the starting of a loaded deck with a Wireless device (thumb drive type) to be plugged into a USB port. That way when us old school performers are out working the gig.... we can press a button and have the music start. I would pay big bucks for this feature.
Carman

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 11:12 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think what he is saying is that he doesn't want to have to pay more attention for his gigs/job since he uses a playlist. Vdj is more geared towards manual mixing, it can be used from a playlist but i don't think its as easy as other programs. I use mixmeister which lets you create playlists thats beatmatch or not and can be tweaked to hell creating a super smooth "perfect" mix. Check it out it might be more up your alley. I use it more for mix cd's but the live mix is the true test of making or breaking a dj, this almost ties in with the other post digital vs. analog dj's. i can make a mix tighter then tiesto but it may take 2 weeks to perfect it, the results are worth it but the manual style of dj'in is my favorite, being able to say oh i wonder what this would sound like on the fly is much more of an audio turn-on.
* i have become very defensive on this board, i usually get called a cracker almost with every post, so to update anyone that is riding my jock, i'm awaiting a bonus from work(since january) that might allow me to hook the whole system up, at very least get VDJ, people should be allowed to post without getting fingers pointed at them. i try to voice on general topics only

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 2:57 pm
Coming from PCDJ I miss the ability to create a playlist from requests and have virtual DJ then play that list automatically, that is playing the WHOLE song with a selectable cross fade length.
Is it really to much to ask to play whole song on auto?
Example - using "Born to Disco" set fade length to 1sec load onto both decks, the time it takes to cross fade is 1sec
BUT the fade entry point is 3.6 seconds into the song and the fade exit point is 3.7 before the end of the song.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:20 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Maybe I don't full understand, but I feel that you could get what you want with something simple. Winamp Maybe?, it let you do playlists and add it with out a problem and mix it like you want (without beatmatching) for 5 sec or more. Maybe in the future VDJ have this option, but for now winamp could do this job.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:49 pm
davtrvPRO InfinityMember since 2011
VDJ 7 has an autoplay, where you can just drag songs to the right side and click the little circle an once it turns green, you are on autopilot. Does VDJ 8 not have this feature?

Just for the record, I have always used this "set it and forget it" feature, (as I call it) for my radio at home, but never at a paid gig. I have other programs I can use for this was just curious why I couldn't find it.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 6:54 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 9:31 am
Does virtual DJ have slide bar options to remove vocals so music is played as instrumental?

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 7:40 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Use a vst to cut the frequencies of the human voice, that's what the old plugin did, but even then it was a bit of a bodge so wasn't continued to v8

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 1:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)