Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How do I remove dead links/files from my Music folders? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've found a few files that pop up (especially when I sort by 'First Seen') that will not play.

When I right-click on 'File Infos', at the very bottom of the 'File Properties' box, it says !!File does not exist!!

I realized that thus far, the problem files that I've found have been songs that I ripped off my collection of CDs to put on my gig laptop. The program I've been using first rips the track as a WAV file, then converts the WAV to an MP3 file (to save space) and deletes the WAV files after the whole CD has been ripped.

If VDJ is open while I'm ripping a CD, it will show the added WAV file in the list even though it was deleted immediately after the CD was done ripping. I can click on these files and hit the 'Remove from search DB' or in the CONFIG Browser screen, use the 'Clean' or 'Fix' buttons to remove the no-longer-existent WAV files from the lists.

The tracks I've had problems with though have been listed as MP3 files in the 'File Properties'. The odd thing is that I actually can find the ripped song (I moved it into a 'Rock' folder in 'My Music'), but the faulty (does not exist) file shows up as located in the 'My Music' folder which is the default location files/songs are ripped to.

These faulty files still show up when I click on the 'My Music' folder in the left pane, and I cannot delete or alter them. If I try to delete or alter them in anyway, I get an error window popping up that says:

Error Deleting File Or Folder
Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk

I've tried using the 'Check', 'Clean' and 'Fix' buttons in the Browser menu under CONFIG, but they're still there.

Any suggestions?

Max

P.S. I thought I'd mentioned it, but I've tried using the 'Remove from search DB', but the 'non-existent' files still show up when I click on the 'My Music' folder.

All my new music goes in the 'My Music' folder because that's where I rip CD's or DL music to. It makes it easy for me to find the newest music I've added simply by sorting 'First Seen'. For some reason, the corrupted files that I can't get rid of always pop up as having JUST been added.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 5:01 am
Right klick and "Remove from searchDB"

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 5:36 am
Tried the 'Remove from search DB'. It was the first thing I tried actually. Files still show up. Tried 'Check', 'Clean' and 'Fix', files still show up.

Max

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 5:45 am
Is there another database located on any of your drives which may hold the same info.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 8:03 am
No, the laptop is a single hard drive type. All the media (and the programs) are loaded only on C: drive

Max

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 4:08 pm
How about deleteing the databasefile (after you have a backup) and then "add to searc DB", guess that should work to clean up the whole thing.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 7:24 pm
dj-amadeus wrote :
How about deleteing the databasefile (after you have a backup) and then "add to searc DB", guess that should work to clean up the whole thing.

What is the database file? Is that the .xml file?

Max

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 2:27 am
Bump? Is the database file the .xml file?

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 4:59 pm
Yes, it is. Search your drive/ drives for multiple copies

Posted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 3:42 pm
Eh dj's

I use Roxio and want to clean up files that are duplicated and also ones that only have track listed no title. Is there a program out there. I know that there is one for I tunes.

Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 @ 2:32 pm
how about the check, clean and fix buttons under options->browser

Posted Mon 18 Apr 11 @ 7:34 pm
I am having this same issue. I deleted files from my hard drive, and now they continue to show up in VDJ as "error" files that do not exist. I created a folder that I named "Error files" that shows them all, use "ispresent=0" as a filter to see them. I've tried removing them from the search database, and they actually do disappear if you refresh the folder, but when you close and restart VDJ, there they are again in all their glory! The "CHECK" function, which is supposed to remove songs from the database that "are not present on your computer anymore" doesn't do what it's supposed to do and it leaves all the error files there.

I should add that they ARE removed from search; if I type the name of one of these tracks in it won't get listed- - but they still do show up as error files in the Error File folder i created so they are not totally removed from VDJ.

This is a bug that should be fixed - there is no way to totally remove these files as far as I can see, I'm not going to delete my database and load everything all over again that's ridiculous, I've added a lot of tag info manually over the last few months - they really need to fix the CHECK function so that it works properly and completely removes these error files from the database.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 11 @ 12:44 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Are those files included in playlists? Note that playlists are not a part of VirtualdJ database, and even if you choose to Clean your db from them, they will still show up in the playlists.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 11 @ 2:22 am
Not in playlists - if they were they'd probably still be in them. They disappeared out of the blue, red and yellow folders.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 11 @ 3:34 am
We are having a similar issue. When I type the name of the song into the \"Search\", several of the same versions/artist or file type appear. When I drag the song to the deck, maybe one random one will load, and the other 3 or 4 will load as \'error\". We have about 28,000 songs on the external on one laptop and the same on the C drive on the other laptop. How do we get rid of the empty \"error\" listings? We tried Check, Clean and Fix. Nothing. It would take 1/2 a lifetime to bring the songs up individually and remove them manually from the database. Anybody got anything for us? thanks, liz

Posted Wed 04 May 11 @ 2:12 pm
kyprodjPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I am having the same issue. Anyone know how to remove all error or dead files at once without going through each song?

Posted Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 11:56 am
Set up a filter folder ispresent=0

Enable file location in the browser column

Sort by this, it will show you the locations or folders the "missing" songs are in

Go to those folders in the file explorer on the left hand side (and recreate them if they're no longer there)

Select remove from search DB

Select add to search DB

You should then find the previous missing entries gone from the database.

Keith

Posted Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 1:33 pm
VDJADEPRO InfinityMember since 2013
I've found the easiest way to do this is to goto the root folder.

For example: Your root music folder will no doubt contain lots of different artists, catorgories, ect
You may even have another for Videos and one for Karaoke..
Just recurse the root folder / Allow it to finish / it will then show the amount of tracks in that folder/
For example 20,000 / Click on one of the tracks but dont load it into any deck.
Then press CTRL and A to highlight them all.
(This is an easy way to also add new tracks and files to the database / by right clicking and search DB / add to database)

When you have highlighted them..... Then goto the DOT or CIRCLE which is near the font resize on your VDJ window.
Usually the bottom left Corner.

Right Click / select database / then remove missing files from database.......
(You'll also notice other options for searching and show only)

All done without having to loose valuable tag, bpm data.

This works for me everytime. I'm always moving my files around.....

I'm unsure if this does it for all the database or just each root folder... You'll have to figure that one out for yourself...

Posted Thu 09 Feb 17 @ 9:39 pm
that would be great but the people with the problem posted 5 years ago ????

Posted Thu 09 Feb 17 @ 11:19 pm
Please do not reopen old threads, thank you.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 17 @ 5:53 pm
95%